Is Psy Trance really psychedelic? (anymore?)

filthysock

Hi guys...

...There is this little thing that has been bugging me... Heh. Those times I wanna trip out musically and enter some musical soundscape I find Psy Trance very often doesn't do the trick... compared to Chill Out, classic Goa (probably the new Goa too, I'm not really sure what the new Goa is though...) and Progressive Trance. And somehow the more psychedelic trance tries to be, for instance Dark Psy... the less psychedelic I percieve it emotionally. Sure it has weird psychedelic sounds, but where's the weaving in and out of all the layers, the depth and acid sounds?

I'm just thinking out loud and curious as to what others think...

PS.

Maybe I could clarify my point better by mentioning what I percieve as truely psychedelic... Shpongle, Chris Organic, Astral Projection, some Ace Ventura tracks, the good old Midnight Sun album by Alien Project (what a depth and soundscape!) just to name a few...

Since what is psychedelic and what is not is a subjective thing then I would answer both yes and no.

For example new artists like Derango can be extremelly psychedelic to some but non psychedelic at all to others.

Or something minimal can be psychedelic to minimal lovers but non psychedelic to the rest.

IMO there's plenty pure psychedelic tracks in Psytrance scene today, as well artists that are not psychedelic at all.

But who is waht is always something subjective.

BTW now playing oCeLoT-Bananas, is 100% psychedelic for me, but maybe not for some other guy.

Since what is psychedelic and what is not is a subjective thing then I would answer both yes and no.

For example new artists like Derango can be extremelly psychedelic to some but non psychedelic at all to others.

Or something minimal can be psychedelic to minimal lovers but non psychedelic to the rest.

IMO there's plenty pure psychedelic tracks in Psytrance scene today, as well artists that are not psychedelic at all.

But who is waht is always something subjective.

+1

It's a matter of perception... And hell yeah, there is still psychedelic music today! :) try to check out some new goa or suomi releases... :)

Yeah, for sure its a subjective thing...

Maybe artistic effort is the thing in question. For me it sounds like alot of for instance Dark Psy just consists of that same old rolling baseline and a synth spitting out some psychedelic noises... on the other have you have what I call truely psychedelic tracks and albums which you can feel and experience how much effort there has been put into giving you a mental soundscape journey.

The reason why this question has entered my mid however is that the thought of Dark Psy is alluring, the thought of entering some soundscape of psychedelic darkness is just what I feel like sometimes, though I've found very few dark songs that do that trick for me. Actually the only dark album I can mention related to this is Chris Organic - Dont Panic Chris Organic who has a refreshing twist to Dark psy.

I will definately check out whats been mentioned here though...

Oh and what would you reccomend of new Goa?

I'm just thinking out loud and curious as to what others think...

Same as Anoebis. Depends on what you call "psychedelic" also. Personally I stick to the synesthetical definition, i.e. perceiving sounds as colors. A very subjective experience indeed. My favorite example: Koxbox - Dragon Tales.