Dark psychedelic trance

radi6404

do you guys know good dark psychedelic tracks, tracks like the very dark Infinity project - wow, a psytrance track with very dark atmosphere, one of the best psytrance tracks ever made, would be nice if you guys could name other so dark tracks. thanks

OK I assume you mean dark in the emotional sense and not necessarily in the other sense that it is used (the Darkpsy genre)..

anyway artists I recommend:

Twisted System (!!!!!!!)

Shift

Abomination (!!!)

Brethren

Phatmatix

Claw vs. Paranoise

Manifold

Double Impact

and sometimes:

Azax Syndrome

Hydraglyph (esp the track on MMD v/a-Twilight Children)

Lemurians

Cosmo Chaos

Some tracks on the new Koxbox

old grapes of wrath

Oh, and if your down with Oldskool stuff:

Aurinko records v/a- Catcher

Cydonia

Sandman-Witchcraft

mate, theres already a thread ON THIS PAGE asking the exact same question. do you even look before posting?!!

I don't think radi reads, he skims through these pages while oscillating up and around the worlds of the internet.

Anyways, try out these ol' gems, since you put a TIP track as an example:

V/A Black Rhino

Orichalcum & The Deviant- Orichalcum & the deviant

+ just about any pre '99 Psychaos track might do it for ya :)

mate, theres already a thread ON THIS PAGE asking the exact same question. do you even look before posting?!!

No, what Reznik was asking for was good Darkpsy. Radi looks for Dark Psychedelic Trance and gave an example of what he thinks that was: The Infinity Project's WOW. While I woudn't agree it's dark, I tend to understand why he thinks it is. So, Darkpsy and Dark Psytrance are two completely different things :P;):D

@Radi, if you haven't already you should check Orichalcum & The Deviant, UX, Slide, Menis, Xenomorph, Process.

+1 on UX

And also Hux Flux

+1 on Hux Flux, though I'm afraid it won't be to Radi's liking... too 'random' and has full-on bassline (yes, even 'Cryptic Crunch')

No, what Reznik was asking for was good Darkpsy. Radi looks for Dark Psychedelic Trance and gave an example of what he thinks that was: The Infinity Project's WOW. While I woudn't agree it's dark, I tend to understand why he thinks it is. So, Darkpsy and Dark Psytrance are two completely different things :P;):D

@Radi, if you haven't already you should check Orichalcum & The Deviant, UX, Slide, Menis, Xenomorph, Process.

As what would you define it then?

As what would you define it then?

For me the artists I mentioned are simply Psychedelic Trance, which - in my understanding - is less happy, floaty and melodic than Goa, more energetic, harder and with sharper sounds. Therefore, I think, people tend to perceive some of it as dark.

But I don't think you have to call it anything. You gave an example of a track you liked and asked for similar stuff. That's enough. In fact, that's much more than enough, because if you'd ask for full-on stuff, you'd probably get people recommending you anything from Skazi, through Eskimo to Voice of Cod and Koxbox. Using genres is just too confusing.

For me the artists I mentioned are simply Psychedelic Trance, which - in my understanding - is less happy, floaty and melodic than Goa, more energetic, harder and with sharper sounds. Therefore, I think, people tend to perceive some of it as dark.

I would say that Orichalcum & The Deviant is goa.

I would say that Orichalcum & The Deviant is goa.

Hehe, I'd say it's typical psy-trance :)

That's why I do my best to stay as far away as possible from classifying music.

Guest Astro Cortex

When I first saw this thread, it instantly made me think of one specific artist (group) & album. Now I come back and see that it's already mentioned three times.

ORICHALCUM & THE DEVIANT

Radi, do yourself a big favour and check that one out as soon as you can. Psy doesn't get much better than this (IMO), let alone dark psytrance. And about the darkness.......well, they pull it off in such a unique and interesting way that it will for sure require several listens to sink in. The last 3 tracks, Where are you?, Alien Homes, Dawn of Epsilon, are for me what dark trance is all about. I actually popped that disc in again a few days ago, after several years, and was just blown away by its raw power and subtle darkness. As much as I dislike most psytrance today (even oldschool goa), that one I can't seem to get tired of :posford:

There's of course more nice darkish stuff, some of which was already mentioned:

Black Rhino comp. (Slinky Wizard's Fist Full of Mutants in particular!!)

2nd Flight: Turbulence (more of the same, perhaps better on the whole than Black Rhino....)

X-Dream - Radio belongs on this list as well!

hey radi maybe u should try this one too

Psychopod - Headlines EP (TIP)

it might be a bit to weird for u, but it got a darkish atmosphere and its real quality music if u ask me :)

at least try Psychopod - Universal Mind

Do you like stuff like

Sandman - Witchcraft (album)

? Or have u heard it?