Which is the One track that defines Psytrance?

Ormion

Don't worry it's not another 'your fav track ever' topic.

It's a topic about which track defines the Psytrance music the most.

What I mean: If someone ask you: ''what kind of music do you listen?'' and want for you with ONLY ONE track to describe the whole Psytrance music then which track would be?

Here's my thinking:

It must be a track that is both Old School (Goa sound) but also has a modern touch.

It must be a track that is both Morning and Dark if possible.

It must be a track that is both for the mind (tripping) and body (dancing).

It must be a track that is psyshedelic in both melodic mayhem (Goa style) and FX mayhem (new style).

It must be a track with a big intro, climaxes, start-stops, classic samples and big outro. (classic Psy signatures).

And this track is...

CHRISTOF DROUILLET & DJ MAEL-KLM

Your selection?

edit: Don't forget! It's not about a track you like! It can also be a track that you dislike!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It must be a track that is both Old School (Goa sound) but also has a modern touch.

It must be a track that is psyshedelic in both melodic mayhem (Goa style) and FX mayhem (new style).

It must be a track with a big intro, climaxes, start-stops, classic samples and big outro. (classic Psy signatures).

Hard... but then for me it must be: Logic Bomb - Computers and Microprocessors

also Infected - Mush Mushi is in my mind... :)

COSMOSIS - HIGHER ACCESS

Whole "Synergy" album by Cosmosis!

It has got all the traits I think are important for psychedelic trance - complex, melodic, acidic, with great (for that time) production and outstanding (even now!) programming and arrangement. The music is floating, yet not dreamy or cheesy. Hard, but not harsh nor aggressive. For the dancefloor, but still intelligent. Complex, but not overdone, etc...

And above it all - it is MUSIC, not TRACKS. Nowadays, most releases are forgettable, few-days lived dancefloor fodder. Synergy on the other hand is psychedelic rock produced in a techno / trance way.

More or less the same can be said about Hallucinogen's "The Lone Deranger"

Hallucinogen-LSD and MFG-Inspiration are classic tracks but they define the old school Psy and not the whole scene, both old and new IMO.

Surely LSD sounds modern even today but they aren't anything similar tracks today so it just leaves the new scene out.

Like I said it doesn't have to be a track you really like.

As much as I am not a fan of Posfords stuff, it has to be LSD. That is the quintessential track of our scene, the granddaddy of them all.

For my personal musical development there were two really, really important tracks.The first was Union Jack Red Herring, and then 5 years later Atmos - Klein aber Doctor.

LSD and Starship 101 are a bit old-fashioned to fulfill Ormion's guidelines, aren't they? I mean, both are big tracks in their own rights, but as far as modern production is concerned, I don't think they quite hold up. I won't go into detail. :D

My personal instinct leans more towards something like Astral Projection's Trance Dance or Mahadeva '99. And then maybe something like X-Dream's Psychomachine or Juno Reactor's God is God. These tracks (none of which are big favorites of mine) took the spirit of Goa and made it "Psychedelic," as in "neo-Goa for the next wave."

I guess it's ultimately subjective, but that's my input.

e: Oh, and yeah, IM and Logic Bomb definitely qualify, I think.