Rules/guidelines for reviewing

Prio Alea

99% of the reviewed music on this forum is really cool, good music, that I think has widened the taste of a lot of members.... and is that not what the Psytrance community is all about, to widen the horizons of thinkers alike? :)

You see? Reviewing the likes of Extrawelt, Martinez ( :wub: ), Son Kite or whoever else would be expanding other people's horizons, and reviewing other artists Ormion listed would not? That is what I was talking about: a line must be drawn, or we draw no line at all. It does not work on a level similar to this: "Some acts and albums are suitable for the review section because they will get approved by most users, and others are not cool because they risk to get flamed by an avalanche of furious elitists and purists."

Whatever the psytrance community is about, by ruling out certain acts and releases, and accepting others with both arms widely opened, not only are you not widening horizons, you are only narrowing them down to a determined selection of music, which has the highest chance of getting praised by forum users.

You see? Reviewing the likes of Extrawelt, Martinez ( :wub: ), Son Kite or whoever else would be expanding other people's horizons, and reviewing other artists Ormion listed would not? That is what I was talking about: a line must be drawn, or we draw no line at all. It does not work on a level similar to this: "Some acts and albums are suitable for the review section because they will get approved by most users, and others are not cool because they risk to get flamed by an avalanche of furious elitists and purists."

Whatever the psytrance community is about, by ruling out certain acts and releases, and accepting others with both arms widely opened, not only are you not widening horizons, you are only narrowing them down to a determined selection of music, which has the highest chance of getting praised by forum users.

If that line is drawn, I know a lot of people that would leave this forum.

comon sense I would say is needed... not some RULE.

If that line is drawn, I know a lot of people that would leave this forum.

comon sense I would say is needed... not some RULE.

In this very moment, as we are having this interesting debate, such a line already exists on this forum! If you look (and I reckon you alreday have throughout the years gone by) at the entire review section, except some Speedy J, Sven Vath, Plastikman (I think I saw a review of a 12" of his), some ol' Platipus classics, this forum is ALL about goa/psy/full on/suomi (the list goes on and on...) releases. Only recently, because of a great lack (as you correctly pointed out) of true psychedelic music, or better yet, of psychedelic music as we once knew it, have we (the reviewers) started to look elsewhere and seeked out music which until recent times barely ever found its way in the review section. And I think you know that- just skim through the 1990/1994-2004 review section, and look at the percentage of psy trance music reviewed there: it is an overwhelming majority.

In this very moment, as we are having this interesting debate, such a line already exists on this forum! If you look (and I reckon you alreday have throughout the years gone by) at the entire review section, except some Speedy J, Sven Vath, Plastikman (I think I saw a review of a 12" of his), some ol' Platipus classics, this forum is ALL about goa/psy/full on/suomi (the list goes on and on...) releases. Only recently, because of a great lack (as you correctly pointed out) of true psychedelic music, or better yet, of psychedelic music as we once knew it, have we (the reviewers) started to look elsewhere and seeked out music which until recent times barely ever found its way in the review section. And I think you know that- just skim through the 1990/1994-2004 review section, and look at the percentage of psy trance music reviewed there: it is an overwhelming majority.

But this is what I am talking about mate! there is not much of these Off Topic reviews at all, except of all the reviews from Seraph of Harthouse releases, and those are really useful for a LOT of people. I dont think that a RULE will do us any good. I mean, comon, there is a complaint about something that is not even worth complaining about, is there? ;)

How many reviews have you seen of Tiesto on this forum? (not you rino...)

For two pages now I'm trying to say something simple. I'm gonna say it and will be the last thing to post in this thread.

First of all I'm not talking about X-Dream or Midi Miliz because they're still Psytrance for me.

But if we allowed anything then one day you will wake up, open your PC, browse Psynews and you'll see the new 50 Cent album in the reviews section.

That's the way is gonna end.

BTW common sense? We're in Psynews for crying out loud!

Hugs big guy :)

For two pages now I'm trying to say something simple. I'm gonna say it and will be the last thing to post in this thread.

First of all I'm not talking about X-Dream or Midi Miliz because they're still Psytrance for me.

But if we allowed anything then one day you will wake up, open your PC, browse Psynews and you'll see the new 50 Cent album in the reviews section.

That's the way is gonna end.

BTW common sense? We're in Psynews for crying out loud!

Hugs big guy :)

:) love you too malaka :) Honestly, I like you a lot, and I think having a discussion with you is not a fight, its just a debate. I think in the end, we both agree, NO? :)

malaka? :lol::lol::lol: You just said the right word!!! Now I can't hate you, even if I wanted to.

Yes I think we agree, I'm just worried about how much common sense can we really have and keep the reviews section safe and open mindess without ending in a section with every random release of any kind get reviewed here.

malaka? :lol::lol::lol: You just said the right word!!! Now I can't hate you, even if I wanted to.

Yes I think we agree, I'm just worried about how much common sense can we really have and keep the reviews section safe and open mindess without ending in a section with every random release of any kind get reviewed here.

what about poustis, lakis?! :lol: no, but I think that we need moderators to skim through things, moderators that are aware, not ignorant. I also think that the set of moderators that we have already, are good for the job, ESPECIALLY in this section :) (Considering we have Anoebis, DP, Mars, Moni, Tatsu and Prio) all good people with good comon sense when it comes to Psy/Trance/Chill IMO :)

Personally I think most the reviewers here (the ones that write a reviews long enough & satisfy the other rules of reviewing) have enough common sense to stick to acceptable albums, I doubt we'll see fiddy cent reviews here & if we do we have moderators that could remove & warn :rolleyes:

We can't stick just to goa & psy because even those that used to be (as Nemo pointed out I think) generally aren't making it anymore. X-Dream's last few albums have not been what I'd call psy or goa. Good music, worthy of a review, psychedelic but not psytrance IMO.

Personally I think most the reviewers here (the ones that write a reviews long enough & satisfy the other rules of reviewing) have enough common sense to stick to acceptable albums, I doubt we'll see fiddy cent reviews here & if we do we have moderators that could remove & warn :rolleyes:

+. I think just about all of the members on this board have a pretty good idea what the term 'psychedelic' is and we should place enough trust in the experienced music listeners we have here (of which there are many) to decide whether an album is psychedelic or not and deserves to catch the attention of other lovers of psychedelic music and in which case should have a review written about it. We all know the psy trance scene is putting out a lot of shit at the moment and so its great (for me at least) to get wind of other releases that are a step above in both quality and psychedelia than what a lot of supposed 'psy' trance artists are putting out. Not meaning to be too cynical and all, but i think if we stuck to only reviewing psy trance albums then psynews is going to start showing a lot of the same faults that the current psy trance is showing (ie lack of variety, lack of psychedelia, lack of innovation, lack of openmindedness etc). Psynews shouldn't have to suffer from the same problems that the psy trance scene is suffering from...

Also I don't think we have to worry about randoms coming on here to review some random techno/house album because they saw that someone reviewed trentemoller...

I took the liberty of checking how many reviews on the main page are Psychedelic Trance related and here's what i've found:

Eat Static (on a stretch) Vibrasphere (not really psy trance), Infected Mushroom (give me a break), V/A Stepping forward (not really), Younger Brother (There's only one 4x4 track there and it's more technoeish than anything else), V.A - "Switch" (Iboga Mexico) (no comment), Bitmonx & DJ Fabio - Plugged (Plusquam Records) (not psy trance), Saafi Brothers - Supernatural (not psy trance and loosely related). That's quite a number i think, no?

The point is are we at Psynews get Anal or do we get practical. Even on Isratrance, a site that you condemn as being a non-open mindness epicenter for all the full on kids allows all those reviews and even had mine D-Nox & Beckers review on the site itself. And I'm pretty sure that if i'd put an Ozric Tentacles review there it would be ok as well.

Let's make a short list of Goa/Psy veterans that DON'T do Psy Trance anymore:

Juno Reactor

X-Dream

MidiMilliz

Simon Posford

Son Kite

Ticon (heard their new album and it's not Psy Trance by farthest far)

Antix

Should i continue?

What??? Im i the only one who finds Pentas music EXTREMELY PSYCHEDELIC?

I'm with you buddy, If Penta isn't psychedelic than nothing is. He uses crazy sounds from animals to carnivals and circuses, to screeches and zips, zings, and zaps. True Psychedelic music with power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 B)

I'm with you buddy, If Penta isn't psychedelic than nothing is. He uses crazy sounds from animals to carnivals and circuses, to screeches and zips, zings, and zaps. True Psychedelic music with power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 B)

That's what i mean broh, if you ask me Penta is on of THE most psychedelic acts imo

You see, thats your perception of things, but you can not expect everyone to have your 100% opinion about this, thats all I am saying here. For instance, take Midimiliz Cyclic Structure, or Cream, very psychedelic in my opinion, whilst I am sure that you will dissagree. For you its prolly just minimal and boring.

Narrowing it down to what this discussion ended up like though, at the end of the day I dont think that we have that many off-topic reviews, and do not think we do need a strict rule about what is being reviewed or not. Let the moderators delete any Avril Lavigne, P.Diddlidongdangrap or AC/DC. Nomesayin?

You see, thats your perception of things, but you can not expect everyone to have your 100% opinion about this, thats all I am saying here. For instance, take Midimiliz Cyclic Structure, or Cream, very psychedelic in my opinion, whilst I am sure that you will dissagree. For you its prolly just minimal and boring.

No your right, ofcourse there is different oppinions on it... I don't know the artists you mentioned, but i shure can have a great psychedelic experience about "Krumelur" ... Sayin it because you were talking about minimal....

But i just stompled over your oppinion about Penta, caus if you'd ask me to define really Psychedelic music, i would tell you to listen to Penta:)

Back to the discussion

No your right, ofcourse there is different oppinions on it... I don't know the artists you mentioned, but i shure can have a great psychedelic experience about "Krumelur" ... Sayin it because you were talking about minimal....

But i just stompled over your oppinion about Penta, caus if you'd ask me to define really Psychedelic music, i would tell you to listen to Penta:)

Back to the discussion

I have heard every single release by Penta hehe...

Anyways, yeah discussion is pretty much over imo, i think we all agree to: Comon sense, Open Mindness and moderation of things that dont belong here. :)

I have heard every single release by Penta hehe...

Anyways, yeah discussion is pretty much over imo, i think we all agree to: Comon sense, Open Mindness and moderation of things that dont belong here. :)

hmm... I have every track from penta on my computer, still find this psychedelic, even after my nr. 10.000 listen to the same track... Perfect sunday, where you get "flushed out" by a toilet in the end of the track, DAMN i love it :) hmm Maybe you have to be on drugs to understand Penta... I dont know, i haven't tried not to ;)

• 1 month later...