treasures of psychedelia

lumpi

What is your favourite non-electronic psychedelic music? Non electronic doesn't mean there mustn't be any synths in it, just not electronic in the traditional sense, well, you know what I mean.

For me it's without a single doubt "Tiamat - Wildhoney". I just gave it another spin the other day after over a year and was completely overwhelmed by it's dense soundscapes and rich atmospheres. I had totally forgot about it.This album has shown me places no other music was ever capable of bringing me to, dark places, divine places, places of mystery and wonder... places to get lost in. After this album every other music will sound pale, shallow and uninspired, to me at least.

Anyway, to cut it short, can you name some of your most admired psychedelic albums? I urgently need some more music like that... :posford:

For me it's Marillion - Missplaced Childhood, it's an awesome psychedelic pop album from the 80ies. The singer has an amazing voice and the music is just divine. The most famous Marillion track is on that album: Keyleigh. Most likely the only track anybody here might know.

What is your favourite non-electronic psychedelic music? Non electronic doesn't mean there mustn't be any synths in it, just not electronic in the traditional sense, well, you know what I mean.

For me it's without a single doubt "Tiamat - Wildhoney". I just gave it another spin the other day after over a year and was completely overwhelmed by it's dense soundscapes and rich atmospheres. I had totally forgot about it.This album has shown me places no other music was ever capable of bringing me to, dark places, divine places, places of mystery and wonder... places to get lost in. After this album every other music will sound pale, shallow and uninspired, to me at least.

Anyway, to cut it short, can you name some of your most admired psychedelic albums? I urgently need some more music like that... :posford:

I'm pretty shure you'll like Tristania - Widow Weeds judging by your musical taste.

I felt just as excited about it as you about this one.

I'd say electronic music is more about structure then anything. Theres plenty of rock stuff that is most defenitly rock that has synths in it (Someone mentioned tangerine dream).

I think I might check out Tangerine dream... I'm a huge dimension 5 fan and from a few listens Dimension 5 looks like a very much reformed version of it. Any comments about their best albums or eras etc?

I think I might check out Tangerine dream... I'm a huge dimension 5 fan and from a few listens Dimension 5 looks like a very much reformed version of it. Any comments about their best albums or eras etc?

Wow.. good times await you. I envy you.

Best albums 1969-1980:

1. Rubycon

2. Ricochet

Phaedra, Sorcerer, Stratosfear, Force Majeure, Encore, Tangram

Best tracks: Rubycon Part 1 & Ricochet Part 2 (both in top 5 all time best electronic, no discussion possible)

Hmm there's so many good ones, it's hard to choose. But I'll try:

Amon Düül II - Phallus Dei

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra

Donovan - A Gift From A Flower To A Garden

Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets

Justin Heathcliff - Justin Heathcliff

Cream - Disraeli Gears

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets

Magna Carta - Lord Of The Ages

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King

Led Zeppelin - IV

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' (is it psychedelic?)

John Fahey - Fare Forward Voyagers

Arzachel - Arzachel

Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley

Tool - Lateralus

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow

Flower Travellin' Band - Satori

Ozric Tentacles - Waterfall Cities

The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds Of

The Doors - The Doors

Well also Callisto - Noir, Red Sparowes - At The Soundless Dawn, and everything by Godspeed You Black Emperor. Though I'm not sure you can call them psychedelic...

wow, shit, that's quite a lot to check out. I already knew the usual suspects like Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream and what not. But there're quite some new ones to me, will check them out. Thank you all :)

• 3 months later...