A question to all DJs!

sammyhkhan

Maybe a stupid question, but it is one that I am struggling with at the moment as a beginner. How do you guys move from for example, 130BPMs to 133BPMs to 135BPMS within in one set? My obvious answer would be to adjust the BPMs to fit in mix and then re-adjust in one of the breaks to either increase or decrease the tempo...

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated!

Gradually. I wait for the silent moments in a track to re-adjust to parity then mix in something slightly faster (1 or 2 BPM) and repeat until achieving the desired tempo.

I prefer doing it when there are beats to be honest, if you do it in a break, such as when there is a choir or a synth sequenze or some pads, it sounds REALLY shitty. If the beat is going, people hardly notice :)

I prefer doing it when there are beats to be honest, if you do it in a break, such as when there is a choir or a synth sequenze or some pads, it sounds REALLY shitty. If the beat is going, people hardly notice :)

I agree. I try to work it into near-silence. Some songs are too dense for this, in which case a slow climb in a mainly percussive section works best.

Pretty much what everyone has said. Sometimes I very slowly ride the pitch for awhile while the track to thumping along. Sometimes I do it during the silence. If I want it more sudden for some reason I might do it quickly during the post break swell back into the heavy thumping. I occassionally do a sort of "live drop in" where I have the track qued un exactly where I want it to start, leave the fader up and just hit play right on the beat and sometimes I use this with a cut to suddenly drop into a newer faster track. Cofidence or a lack of caring if you screw up are nessecary for that one though. lol

Sometime i do it during the break, sometimes when there is a beat....it all depends on the track and the crowd.

Now, think for a second that it was not pitching you were talking about here :lol: I love you Lauryn! :)