Younger Brother - The Last Days Of Gravity

kabamaru

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wanted to love this album. But, I just can't get into the Hawaiian guitar and strange vibe. I find myself which for more Shpongle-isms. It is a solid release, I'd give it a 8.0 as well. but, it could have been a 10.0

Everything COULD have been 10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For your info only,

the opening sample of track 2 is, I am almost sure, taken from an interview with Salvador Dalí, the Spanish surrealist artist.

Aye, it is. I was searching for that quote earlier, because i heard it being used in another CD. But i can't remember which CD it was.

Help Appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had another few listens and I have to say these guys have taken a step further than the time had. This is mature music of the near future, and I'm not talking about psy, chill, dub - these terms just loose their sense and look miserable on the background of this album.

Just look at the ratings at discogs: 4.8/5 (64 votes), 56 of 64 are 5/5!

Only track that I liked was 'Ribbon on a Ranch'.

Rating: 5/10

I really really love Happy Pills and I Am A Freak, I've heard these tracks a number of times each day the past two weeks.

I fall asleep with Happy Pills in the background. When I come home, I sit down in front of my audio system and play that track,

without moving. Just listening.

9. Psychic Gibbon may be the most beautiful 2007 song I've heard all year, to date. This is a big reason why I love this group. Because they know how to make a song that impresses, full of passion. I love work that moves me emotionally. What this song accomplishes, the rest of the album seldom achieves, and that is to really affect me emotionally.

[

Tracks like Happy Pills and Ribbon on a Branch are exhilarating tracks and I really feel the duo has accomplished their goal of bringing the psy vibe to a band with these tracks.

It's really an amazing piece of work that for reason I can't bother to hear anything but "I am a Freak" at the moment

Sleepwalker part 1 is fantastic! - I can't relate at all to the others who say it's a lame track...

All I can add is that, for me, it's always the sign of a great album when everybody has different favourite tracks, especially when some people love tracks that other people hate.

My personal favourites are:

All I want: Absolutely stunning. This always puts me in a good mood whenever I listen to it. Such amazing progression throughout the song

Happy Pills: With its dreamy, magical intro and then the wicked guitar that suddenly kicks in 3/4 of the way through the song

Ribbon on a branch: Wow, would never expect a song like this from a psy trance producer. Ruu's voice sounds amazing in this. A song to hear in your dreams...

Your friends are scary: Reeeeaally love this one too. Reminds me of sigur ros a little (one of my all time favourite bands), with it's icy cold feel, the moaning guitar that comes in at 1.40 and the beautiful climax at the end of the song.

9/10

• 4 weeks later...

this albums keeps on growing...

Aye!

I've had a time, around new year, when i thought the Album had worn out. It rested for some weeks and is even than before :)

In fact...i like all tracks, with All i want, Psychich Gibbon and Happy Pills standing out :)

THE Twisted Album :)

Aye!

Aye, it is. I was searching for that quote earlier, because i heard it being used in another CD. But i can't remember which CD it was.

Help Appreciated!

Kick Bong - Pure Love (from Chiller Vol 1)

• 2 weeks later...

Only listened to it once and don't remember shit : :ph34r:

Favorites, in order, starting from the top!

Psychic Gibbon! Beautiful track, love the guitar!

Happy pills: Very nice!

Ribbon on a ranch:Different track with vocals but it works more than fine for me!

I am a freak:Wierd, but very nice as well...

• 2 weeks later...

Aye!

I've had a time, around new year, when i thought the Album had worn out. It rested for some weeks and is even than before :)

In fact...i like all tracks, with All i want, Psychich Gibbon and Happy Pills standing out :)

THE Twisted Album :)

Aye!

I like the entire release knowing it better now, and happy pils is very good

• 3 weeks later...

An excellent album. Pretty chill but still cannot be categorized as chill as there are some pretty rough moments.

Also, the sample in the middle of Elephant Machine is finnish. It sounds pretty weird even for a native, but it says something like: "The last time I left my home, my father stomped his feet" Wonder where the guys got that from :P

Great Album 8/10

Happy Pills starts the album off in great style...while Psychic Gibbon is as good a closing track as I've ever heard

I like the intelligent use of guitars, psychedelia and wait for it...vocals! Yes, this album has loads of vocals...the most annoying of which are from I am A Freak, which as a dance floor stomper works a treat, but the vocal samples on this track are pure cheese....

The weakest points for me on the album are the Sleepwalker series...(pt 1 and pt2)....

Strong points are Happy Pills, Psychic Gibbon and Elephant Machine...

The rest of the album is also very good, but I guess that should almost be expected when you have Simon and Benji together....but saying that, I think they could've done a little more to please us....

Hence the 8 rather than a 9 or 10.....

But, anyway, thats only my opinion....each unto his own.

• 1 month later...