What new gear [equipment] did you get today?

I think it's been a fun thread about what music did you get in the general thread. However, I can no longer partake in that thread because I've stopped buying music altogether and instead replaced music with my own musical creations. This thread, despite it not being posted in 100x a day, should garner some attention from the gear whores. I have admittedly become addicted to buying gear, but like the old goa, at great prices.

Anyways, today I got a Tascam M3500 32x8x32 console with the full meter bridge, the complete shebang for a mere $150.00. It's fully functional, but I am going to have to spend a lot of time cleaning the boards. It's a project being the console is 4 feet x 5 feet and a 140 pounds or so. It was chosen because of price. I was eyeing some 16 channel mixers, but at double the cost and when I found this baby, she was mine.

I also received my PG-300 for my MKS-50 I've been awaiting forever for. It was missing one slider cap but a visit to a wonderful restoration parts website scored me a new old stock piece plus a few IR3095 chips for my MKS80 as a precautionary measure. I have yet to hear of an issue of such to the MKS80 but better safe than sorry on these old pieces.

I'm still undecided on where I'm going to live, but god damnit, it better be a place where me, my son, and all my gear can fit!

So, what did you get?

Aaron

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good topic. No new gear for me (except for the processor upgrade to keep up with Cubase I mentioned in another thread last week) but I wanted to quickly comment on how the same thing has happened to me - that I've bought way less music since I started making my own. Interesting! Is music-making a transferred addiction? Hopefully the expenditures will even out at some point in a decade or two.

Anyway, back to the subject...

Good topic. No new gear for me (except for the processor upgrade to keep up with Cubase I mentioned in another thread last week) but I wanted to quickly comment on how the same thing has happened to me - that I've bought way less music since I started making my own. Interesting! Is music-making a transferred addiction? Hopefully the expenditures will even out at some point in a decade or two.

Anyway, back to the subject...

... It is indeed interesting. My son enjoys synthesis; he dances more to striking a key of the most bizarre swirly sound, but never moved to any CD I put into the player.

On any note, I *had* to. I've been wanting an ASQ-10 sequencer, but can't find one for less than 200 dollars, so I figured despite it not being as feature-riffic, I would go after this bad boy and got it. Hope it works when it arrives. :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N:IT&ih=017

It's a Linn Sequencer, an oldschool, super outdated piece of crap which means I'll put it to a lot of good use. :posford:

I needed a hardware sequencer. I can't stand using software, I'm already on the computer way- too much. :)

-Aaron

just got a tc electronic konnekt 8. Working like a charm after shit and shiiiiitloads of problems with m- audio audiophile usb 2496..

Also got a new pc.. Quadcoreee :clapping:

Now i need to get my powercore fixed a new midi keybored and possible a new synth.. but thats for next year somewhere.. some tunes need to be made first.

Posted Image

ordered last week, should arrive early next week. I'm damn curious how it's gonna sound...

You ordered a synth when you don't know what it sounds like? You like danger, don't you? I'll bet you speed through yellow lights and drink the water in Mexico, don't you? :D

I want to know how it sounds! Let us know!

I too, lumpi, am curious about that d-machine and how it sounds.

My gear humping quest is coming to a halt. All of my stuff is not near me anymore, except tonight and Monday I'm picking up:

Atari 520 ST [i like oldskool, k? k!] with many midi tools. It comes with a ton of shtuff, ex-studio gear with both a monochrome and color monitor. 40 dollars well spent in my opinion :clapping:

Immaculate Juno 106 - I don't know if I will really use this, but it's mint, used a few times in church, nothing else. Guy wanted 50 bucks for it, but he's getting more, 250.

I had a lot of time playing with the LinnSequencer Friday. I moved it down to my friend's studio and hooked it up. By far, I love it. I have yet to understand anything software related besides playing with Reason. I think the music software of today is just too complicated and thus why you'll always read me buying old stuff; simpler is better. If I can open a box and use it right away without studying a 300pg manual, I'm good to go. :) hEEhEE.

Anyways, for the hardware whores out there, the LinnSequencer is highly recommended. With buttons like rewind, fastforward, stop, record, play....it doesn't get any easier than that. The settings from within the menus on the LCD are simple to understand without reading a manual and it has an onboard memory tester which for what it's worth, the memory stinks, 10600 note capacity, but on a disk, 106k. Has a scsi hookup and am in the process of picking up a zip drive and 21 zip disks for free come monday too.

Still need some good monitors though, the one thing I've neglected. :( Maybe come christmas I'll buy me a present. :)

Anybody have a need for a Korg DW-6000? :) I'm finding I won't need it, 15 dollars plus shipping, but you have to put a new battery in it.

-d

This thread gives me good vibes! Hope it will remain good like this and that people keep posting in it :) Im looking forward to post some pics when i have buyed some new stuff! I absolutely love to see how peoples home studios look like and i have a little fetish i collect studio gear lists from goa trance artists , so dont be shy to share your lists ;)

Cheers

devious - I think "simplicity" is definitely a relative term in the making of music. I grew up with hardware but the DAWs these days are in my opinion much simpler to use, of course after you get the hang of them. I'd love to be surrounded by hardware, like Vangelis or someone, but I can't imagine feeling comfortable at all with the maze of cables and cords or the expense, etc. It's nice to see someone still obsessed with that way, though. When do we get to hear some results of all of your equipment?

You ordered a synth when you don't know what it sounds like? You like danger, don't you? I'll bet you speed through yellow lights and drink the water in Mexico, don't you? :D

I want to know how it sounds! Let us know!

hehe, there's no danger actually, I can always give it back within a 30 days and get a full refund. Played around with it a bit yesterday and I wasn't too impressed with it to be honest. The analog feel is there but it doesn't go as deep (frequency-wise) as I want it to go. You're also pretty limited soundwise, I mean I knew this beforehand but I didn't expect it to be that limited. But then again I only scratched the surface, maybe it turns out to be an awesome piece of gear. It sure helped to run it through my Sherman :ph34r:

The analog feel is there but it doesn't go as deep (frequency-wise) as I want it to go.

Ah, but the question is, do you really need it to go super low? Think how the sounds will fit in the mix. I don't know about you, but I pretty much always end up shaving a little off the low end on a kick sample anyway, and HP around 30 to 40Hz, depending on the song.

devious - I think "simplicity" is definitely a relative term in the making of music. I grew up with hardware but the DAWs these days are in my opinion much simpler to use, of course after you get the hang of them. I'd love to be surrounded by hardware, like Vangelis or someone, but I can't imagine feeling comfortable at all with the maze of cables and cords or the expense, etc. It's nice to see someone still obsessed with that way, though. When do we get to hear some results of all of your equipment?

Yo Bro!

I'm not sure. :) I'm still working the kinks out on being able to even use my gear. I am actually 200 miles away from my gear right now, well, roughly. I am supposed to be moving down to that location so when I take trips down to Winona, MN, I drop my shit off at my friend's [he has a basement studio at his house]. I haven't had a whole lot of time to compose. Taking care of everything else first, buying gear, storing it away for more trips down there to drop off, to hook up, to play with, come back to minneapolis, blah blah. It sucks. Business first right now.

On any note, I would like to say that the Linn Sequencer is awesome. Love it to death. Very simple to use. Go read about it at www.forat.com/sequencer/ - Look forward to getting into my place soon and hooking everything up in a more "organized" manner and putting the Atari ST to work as well. That'll be interesting.

Promise though, as soon as I finish a quarter of a track Otto, I'll send it your way. =] But don't share it with anyone. I would say expect something by January of next year. Yeah, that long. I have a lot of stuff to work around these next few months, but next year, I'll be ready to pump some shit out, or maybe not. Maybe I should stick to playing live keyboard. Heh. NO! But improv is fun.

Really, this is my gear list, it's not much, but I think it's a good start and has only cost me out of pocket 1200 dollars:

MKS-80+MPG-80

MKS-50+PG-300

D-550 w/ MEX Upgrade+PG-1000

Ensoniq SQ1

DW-6000 [still want to get rid of it]

Added today: Juno 106 but not down in winona :) in my possession still

Akai MPX820 8 channel mixer [have to start somewhere, yeah? somebody got to the tascam 3500 32ch8bus mixer for 150 bucks before me :-/]

LinnSequencer

Atari 520ST w/ Steinberg Cubase and C-Lab Notator and...a bunch of C-Lab accessories and other peoples accessories and software

JBL L36 speakers used for monitors. They sound good enough for now.

And hopefully I will find the time somewhere to build a quad SID chip MIDIBox.

Really I don't have a lot of gear, I don't think? I really still want to add a better mixer and some good non-JBL monitors and possibly reacquire a dp/4 - sold mine to pay for a sh-101 that was NEVER SHIPPED but the tallahassee police nabbed the sucker on an outstanding warrant for something else. Then he made a "sorry life" excuse as to why the 101 had never been shipped. I should have my money back tomorrow [375], but I did get asked if I wanted to press charges. I said yeah since it's allegedly taking so long for him to get my monies back to me. =/

I talk/type too much. I quit.

Aaron

Really I don't have a lot of gear, I don't think? I really still want to add a better mixer and some good non-JBL monitors and possibly reacquire a dp/4 - sold mine to pay for a sh-101 that was NEVER SHIPPED but the tallahassee police nabbed the sucker on an outstanding warrant for something else. Then he made a "sorry life" excuse as to why the 101 had never been shipped. I should have my money back tomorrow [375], but I did get asked if I wanted to press charges. I said yeah since it's allegedly taking so long for him to get my monies back to me. =/

I talk/type too much. I quit.

Aaron

Sucks about your SH101, and damn thats a good price, almost unreal. Where did you find it, on ebay? :)

Sucks about your SH101, and damn thats a good price, almost unreal. Where did you find it, on ebay? :)

It wasn't ebay, it was actually craigslist. I found a secret, googling for $item + craigslist and you could find some crazy mad deals that are far beyond real. The SH-101 the police said he did have but he had a life excuse as to why he did not ship it. I felt that he was legitimately selling the 101, but took advantage of the situation, got my funds by paypal, and decided to say fuck it and never ship it thinking he'd never have to answer to it. Well, the Tallahassee Florida Police had a warrant for his arrest already in the system, it was a bench warrant. So they went ahead and answered their warrant because of me calling them. :) So it was cool. I haven't got my money back yet, he took a screenshot of his monitor showing that he initiated a withdrawl of 375 from his bank account to paypal and its supposed to clear today or tonight and I will probably be a nice guy and drop charges because I'm not really that mean. I just want my money back. He said he'd ship me the 101 after all this shit and I was like fuck it, forget the price, forget the deal, I just want my money back. Ya know?

It hasn't detered me from dealing with out of state craigslist postings though. I've had about 5 deals where I've turned 30 dollars into 200, 300, even 400 dollars. One's man trash is another man's treasure chest. :)

Aaron

And hopefully I will find the time somewhere to build a quad SID chip MIDIBox.

which one are you going to build? and are you going to build one with a mixture of the two or just one type of sid?

which one are you going to build? and are you going to build one with a mixture of the two or just one type of sid?

One SID, the MOS er whatever, I don't have it in hand, but not the SID SID, the other one, I have four of them as well as strange commodore 64 stuff. Weird old ancient printers n shit.

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid.html

Is the one I've been working slowly on.

And to be on topic :)

I got a new slider and fader cap for the Juno 106 so that'll be screamining 100% soon, and a fader cap for my PG-300 [was missing one].

I'm broke for awhile now, but in the future, I would like to get a drum machine. :-/

-d

• 3 weeks later...