new producer looking at cubase

I am, after 12 yrs of listening to trance and DJing, looking into production. I'm trying to decide on what midi-sequencer to buy. From many reviews read it seems all the top contenders (logic, cakewalk, cubase, etc.) are equally capable. I am primarily interested in buying Cubase Studio 4. Is there anyone who can suggest reasons that I should not go with this sequencer? This will NOT be used for DJing. I will be using it primarily in the production of trance, techno, and chill. Any feedback would be appreciated. :))

I for one can recommend Cubase 4, especially since the first major update is expected soon: 4.1.

Then again, I haven't used any of the other popular mid-range programs, nor have I really experimented much with any of the unpopular programs. I gave Cycling 74 and Reaktor a try, but those are for different brain frequencies.

I have a little experience in both logic and cubase.. They're pretty much the same, underneath the different lay-outs... But i think the standard instruments and effects are best in logic... But you can just get new once so it doesn't really matter does it? :)

What I have used, and Can recommend is:

Ableton Live (both for live and production)

Cubase SX2-3

Logic Pro

But I think its like Buzzman says, you need to just get into the program, and get the most out of it :)

I am, after 12 yrs of listening to trance and DJing, looking into production. I'm trying to decide on what midi-sequencer to buy. From many reviews read it seems all the top contenders (logic, cakewalk, cubase, etc.) are equally capable. I am primarily interested in buying Cubase Studio 4. Is there anyone who can suggest reasons that I should not go with this sequencer? This will NOT be used for DJing. I will be using it primarily in the production of trance, techno, and chill. Any feedback would be appreciated. :))

if your using an intel mac go logic 8. thay have half the price since logic 7 and its well in the budget now. i use cubase studio 4 and are not a big fan at all. if your using a pc go cubase 4. it supports exteral instruments and effects unlike studio 4 (and u dont have to deal with a manual writen for a different version).

Hey, genaro, you might want to take a look at Reaper. My good friend who is a very talented songwriter brought it to my attention yesterday. Apparently it is fairly sophisticated but also very gentle on your computer. Of course it is far from a standard program like Cubase or Logic, which would have its share of advantages and disadvantages, but it might be another one to try out, see if it feels good. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Buy Cubase SX 3.. I stopped to rewire cubase wit reason and will work only in cubase from now.. Get yourself good MIDI controler and probably some synth and bunch of vsts and u'r ready to go. Logic is good too, but stick with reason.. It will take some time till u handle it but its really easy to produce once u get close with it.

Buy Cubase SX 3.. I stopped to rewire cubase wit reason and will work only in cubase from now.. Get yourself good MIDI controler and probably some synth and bunch of vsts and u'r ready to go. Logic is good too, but stick with reason.. It will take some time till u handle it but its really easy to produce once u get close with it.