Musicianship vs. Sound quality

Totally agree. Then again, Mr. Sound Engineer can only do so much with a poor quality mix from Mr. Producer.

Yeahp :( But if Mr. Soundengineer has the oportunity to (re)mix the track.... sweeeeeeeeeeeetness! :)

All of us are probably using synthizers (hardware or software), and there is a lot of technical know how required to use them, let alone get the most out of them. So I think the lines get blurred a little. There are songs that contain ideas I find mind-blowing, and I've often wondered if that concept was achieved intentionally, or accidentally. It also occurs to me, that the producer may not even see it in the same light as me, so maybe my concept of their idea really isn't their idea. I think the subjective element plays a big role. The ear follows the mind, and so the more trained the mind becomes, the more trained our ears seem to be. I think people, in general, can grasp, or express their interpretations of sound quality easier than they can the level of 'musicianship'.

Something I'd like to point out which I think is important really, is the 'groove', 'space', 'feel' or 'moment' that the music is creating. Quite a bit of the music I enjoy isn't particularly complicated (especially when looked at from a reductionist standpoint), or what I would consider a high level of musicianship, but man, it just sits right when you listen to it. Another example are those tracks which you find boring when listening on your stereo at home, but when you hear them played out at a club, they somehow gain a little more sparkle, and interest.

So, it seems to me they are both a means to an ends, not the end itself.

All of us are probably using synthizers (hardware or software), and there is a lot of technical know how required to use them, let alone get the most out of them. So I think the lines get blurred a little. There are songs that contain ideas I find mind-blowing, and I've often wondered if that concept was achieved intentionally, or accidentally. It also occurs to me, that the producer may not even see it in the same light as me, so maybe my concept of their idea really isn't their idea. I think the subjective element plays a big role. The ear follows the mind, and so the more trained the mind becomes, the more trained our ears seem to be. I think people, in general, can grasp, or express their interpretations of sound quality easier than they can the level of 'musicianship'.

Something I'd like to point out which I think is important really, is the 'groove', 'space', 'feel' or 'moment' that the music is creating. Quite a bit of the music I enjoy isn't particularly complicated (especially when looked at from a reductionist standpoint), or what I would consider a high level of musicianship, but man, it just sits right when you listen to it. Another example are those tracks which you find boring when listening on your stereo at home, but when you hear them played out at a club, they somehow gain a little more sparkle, and interest.

So, it seems to me they are both a means to an ends, not the end itself.

Great points, and well said. I agree entirely.

If I had the money I would definitely get a degree in music because these are the types of questions you can debate for hours.

In music overall, it is the song that is #1 most important. I have heard this from labels so their is consensus here.

In electronic and specifically trance sound quality is almost as important.

It is the nature of trance music to demand high sound quality both because of past expiriences and because of the mood of the music.

Totally agree. Then again, Mr. Sound Engineer can only do so much with a poor quality mix from Mr. Producer.

Mr. Sound Engineer's job is to make Mr. Producer's music shine though... however even he can't do anything about the quality of the music Mr. Producer has written.

Mr. Sound Engineer's job is to make Mr. Producer's music shine though... however even he can't do anything about the quality of the music Mr. Producer has written.

Maybe the problem with today's trance music is that an artist has to be both a producer and a sound engineer.

And also has to promote his music himself, and even has to be a good DJ (to play in parties...).

That's a lot of work for one normal human being.

I may be wrong but I think that few years ago, people were less demanding in terms of sound quality, and artist could put more efforts in the "musicianchip side" of their music.

Maybe the problem with today's trance music is that an artist has to be both a producer and a sound engineer.

And also has to promote his music himself, and even has to be a good DJ (to play in parties...).

That's a lot of work for one normal human being.

I may be wrong but I think that few years ago, people were less demanding in terms of sound quality, and artist could put more efforts in the "musicianchip side" of their music.

I agree, though I suspect it has been this way for awhile, not just recently. It's part of the reason I've been searching for someone else to work with, since I continually find I don't have enough time to do it all.