Why did we end up in a world that dj's are more important than producers?

Ormion

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What DJ's are you referring to? In fact, the most highly paid DJ's in our scene are also producers.

I don't know, some big house DJs? I saw Digweed once. He was really good. He did far more that push play and beat mix thou. Don't think many DJs out there are quite on par with his skillz, especially in our little scene ;)

What goes for 'reading the crowd'. Um yeah, I bet most (psy) DJs decide 95% what they play (latest UNRLSD KILLLLAAR) way before their gig and just bring in their collection for show. Tell me it isn't so?

Silly question

Expain why plz.

If I was a dj and while I was djing I looked in the crowd and think ''Damn most of them don't even know what kind of style this music is'' I wouldn't feel pleased.

Would you feel well if in one of your gigs 90% of the ppl came because they believe that it's going to be a killer without even know first what kind of music you're playing?

reformulate please

It's funny but dj's turned producers arent as good as producers turned djs. No disrespect, it's just way harder creating music. And I'm not talking about the technical side of it, but the creative side. Making something from ground zero is alot more harder then having material that you can mix with and play with however you want to.

Expain why plz.

If I was a dj and while I was djing I looked in the crowd and think ''Damn most of them don't even know what kind of style this music is'' I wouldn't feel pleased.

How did you come up with the figure of 90%? I've been to a fair share of big raves out of the psy scene and even when there were enough peopel that weren't really into the music and just partyed because it's the thing to do, most people actually have (sometimes even too) high expetations on a well-known DJ and know at least the basics of that he is up to.

Chill out man :D True I don't like Digweed's music so for me he's not an excellent producer simple as that. The end. :)

see, you are talking about taste... thats all I am saying, and believe me, I am super chilled.

the asnwer is it's a weird money scam.

really good djs get handed new music in the hopes they will encourage sales.

but then dj reserves best stuff for special events and won't tell anyone what he was playing , or better will laugh at you and say oh i played this and that but you cant get it anywhere...

better still are the label djs like ollie who at least used to get all these new tracks and then tour around dj'ing them 6 months before releasing them, a good marketing test but not the best. by the time stuff is released, it is almost played out.

the last part that i somewhat agree with is theat a dj by playing many artists does give a more rounded set than two hours of one group only

put it all together and the dj matters more to the parties.

which is really fine by me as long as dj has ultimate respect for the artists, which is usually the case.

i don't think too many djs think they are more important than the artists, the music would be here without the dj, but the dj would not exist without the music.

see, you are talking about taste... thats all I am saying, and believe me, I am super chilled.

I know what you mean man, but the taste and the opinion about the artist's production skills is somehow similar.

My best friend is a metalhead and told me that Cannibal Corpse are great producers. But I don't like their music so how can I know that they're indeed great? :);)

How did you come up with the figure of 90%? I've been to a fair share of big raves out of the psy scene and even when there were enough peopel that weren't really into the music and just partyed because it's the thing to do, most people actually have (sometimes even too) high expetations on a well-known DJ and know at least the basics of that he is up to.

I said 70% :)

The rule is ''the most known dj, the more ppl unrelated to his music go to his party''.

I'm not sure how much of Digweed's music you've heard Ormion. I think from Producer's viewpoint he beats pretty much any psy producer in terms of production quality. You might not like the music but at least his kicks are crystal clear and not muddy like Psykovsky or any other psy producer. I don't fancy Space Cat's music for instance lately or Alien Project but their production is always top notch. You have to be able to separate between the 2 things.

Expain why plz.

The people are having a good time, why the hell do they have to know what music is being played??? I don't understand

The rule is ''the most known dj, the more ppl unrelated to his music go to his party''.

Sorry, my bad then. :) Still, 70% as figure without any other proof than your rule is not exactly what I would call a fact. To me it seems more like a generalisation for the oh so well-known point of view that people who listen to more commercial music automaticaly don't have a clue about real music or are just in it to be in the in-crowd.

And to answer your original question: it's pretty easy to say that DJs seem to be more important since they got a direct feedback from the crowd while producers, as long as they don't play live or dj themselves, don't. I still think that most people in a party crowd know better and not only credit the DJ if he plays a good tune but also wanna know who actually created it.

I know what you mean man, but the taste and the opinion about the artist's production skills is somehow similar.

My best friend is a metalhead and told me that Cannibal Corpse are great producers. But I don't like their music so how can I know that they're indeed great? :);)

What pavel said..

Wrong. Last april, Kevin Saunderson came to Zagreb to celebrate 20 (!!!) years of active involvement in the worl of electronic music. The whole damn club was packed with addicted party goers, ravers, techno heads, old schoolers, general and occasional electronic music lovers and all other kinds of conoisseurs of this genre. It was magical, and it is living proof #1 that your statement is wrong.

Living proof #2 that your statement is wrong is DJ Tiesto. His gig in Zagreb was a total financial fiasco. They could not even count 1000 people inside the venue. And he is THE known DJ star that teen girlies scream after, and what happens? Well, nothing much. Knowing what kind of music he plays, the people did not show up. Does being a famous DJ automatically mean a packed club? Hell no. Does a famous DJ assume that 20000 people will show up no matter what and where he plays. Hell no. So, where do you get all these accurate percentages from anyways?

But in the dance scene today from house to psy, djs seem to be more important.

Really? That's new to me. As far as I've experienced DJs are actually somewhat underrated. It is often the case that even the most crappy liveact is prefered to any DJ set ... which affects the quality of the parties, where crappy (and hardly known) israeli liveacts are booked and play totally uninspired fullon music just because nobody would come if there was no liveact ... I remember a discussion about that on some other goa forum place...

It's in other electronic music scenes where DJs are IMHO way overrated (like in house music as you mention) ... but not really in the psy department...

not in psy...in psy its usually the producers themselves that spin the music they made

which is good in a way but suxxxx balls in an another...

going to see tiesto is not for his music is a social gathering of related and unrelated ppl....if you want good music you are not going to a gig like that.

It's simple: the DJ is the person everyone sees. The average electronic music fan goes to a club or show and sees the DJ, and doesn't think beyond that. It takes a more dedicated fan to look beyond the face of the scene.

I never understood how some DJs get so much money for a set. FFS they're just playing music others created. It's not that hard to beat mix or whatevargh.. creating music, now that's another story.

Well actually I don't get why psytrance producers get payed so much. FFS they're just pressing a few random buttons and making stupid noises. It's not that hard to program in stuff on a midi keyboard or whatevargh. Now actually being able to play music... that's another story.

That's all I read m.r. Jaded because he doesn't get enough recognition.

Yes of course the scene relies on the producer a lot more then the DJ and it's more important that there are killer tracks in the first place. However this is an electronic scene... so it's mainly the DJs that buy the music (I believe some people here said psy is actually the other way round so this is going to be in general) so no one gives a shit about infected mushroom or whatevargh because they aren't going to be buying the music anyway... they just want to know what the DJs name is so they know if they go next time it'll guarantee them a good time.

Short version: Mainly DJs buy music, therefore no one gives a shit about the music, only the DJ that's playing.

Whether you concider painting a more skillfull and subtle artwork then photography they are still both subtle forms of artworks.

Although going along with offtopic: Yes Tiesto sucks... and theres plenty of great unknown DJs and your renown isn't allways a good indicator of your skill.

Well actually I don't get why psytrance producers get payed so much.

Maybe, because they're the ones who created the music in the first place :rolleyes:

Actors, directors, etc. = the artist

The guy at the film theater who sits at back and 'plays the film' = the dj

In the trance scene the dj's seem to be the most important (most of the big names also produce music aswell) in the psy scene at least here in Japan its all about the producers. Every event I go to its to hear a live set, its about the producers and not about the dj's. Even on the party flyers the producers names are at the top in bold letters and the dj's names are at the botton almost forgotten.