goa gil and the rest of the world

thorn726

Damn. Everybody knows that the number of people who like music is directly proportional to its quality - I mean, just look at the great records that make it to number one in the charts every week. I guess darkpsy sucks after all.

<_<

I agree with you. It's lame to use your dislike of darkpsy as an argument. This discussion is about something else altogether!

I've seen Goa Gil once, in Switzerland, at the LSD symposium afterparty, and I think I remember not liking it, because it was bass HEAVY in a very closed environment: too much noise. It wasn't the music per se that sucked, but it certainly didn't fit in that room. Too much interference. And without making any points about darkpsy-good vs. darkpsy-bad, good mixing is an important skill to me, especially when it concerns upbeat-music. Goa Gil can't or won't mix, I think we can agree about that. :)

By the way, who knows the real story? I think it was Antaris (?) festival a few years ago, and Goa Gil was playing at some stage. He absolutely refused to stop, so what the organizers did in the end, was simply pull the plug and start another stage. That is just too fucked up...

thorn: was Jerry Garcia your holy man before? What I remember/have seen about deadheads was that they indeed used to regard Jerry as their idol... right? Just curious.

after reading so many positive comments about him on forums i decided to go to my first goa gil party last year...

i had heard that he makes a story with his sets... lies...

well i hated the party... he only plays dark music for the whole time.. i understand that he would play that at night but common u have to have variety to have a good party...

i got the feeling that many people pretend to like the music b/c "it's goa gill"... they treat him like he's god or smthg... and as was stated previously his mixing is terrible...

and i have issues with djs who have been playing for years who can't mix... besides it kills the trance experience when on the dance floor... he is always talking about that aspect, well maybe if he really wanted to get people in trance he should learn how to mix properly...

and then he does seem like an ego maniac with his rules of only playing by himself at his events...

so ... move along nothing to see here...

thorn: was Jerry Garcia your holy man before? What I remember/have seen about deadheads was that they indeed used to regard Jerry as their idol... right? Just curious.

HA HA! ok first off yes, the wrost were the spinners- they actually thought god spoke through jerry's guitar/

for me he was no holy man- come on he was a dope fiend. he was to me just this incredible sound you couldn't get anywhere else, worth a lot of effort to see, and it made seeing any other live act seem like they were - well, you always wanted more jerry.

No, Jerry wasn't a holy man to me, but he was irreplaceable, that is the relation to Gil.

a bunch of deadheads talk down to people who've never seen jerry, and all deadheads are kinda permanently sad and screwed by jerry being dead. i imagine elvis of lennon people could feel the same way, and the Gil thing is shaping up for a similar end. having gone thru it once, i avoid it in the trance scene. like i said earlier, to me the greatest thing about electronica is no one person can bring it to a halt, and that's what bothered me most about the Gil scene, it's made out that at least here in Cal, we'd never have another "greater than great" party if Gil died?

BAH!

it doesn't take a spoiled hippy who lived with his parents into his 40 s to make a good party

People go to see him now for this little cult of personality he has going, thats what I assume the thread starter is talking about with people getting defensive if you say he blows.

yes! the music has become secondary for Gil parties it seems, or more to the point,

1) why get defensive about opinions of this music or that genre. POINTLESS

2) if you do get upset at comments about the man rather than the music, i am asking why/ how is Gil a guru, and really

i would like you know what does HE consider himself? i get mixed impressions on that

personally i like 90% of the music, hate the train wreck mixing, think the guru stuff is weak as hell, mainly because i have been put in the position of "think Gil is a guru-god or you are not cool enough to be around us"

pavel youre full of shite on this matter :D go stick to your buddies created killar music and keep on slagging off "dark psy" :D im sure, your mind would change dramatically if some day all of your friends would start to make killargh dark psy :P

What are you rumbling about, Mr. "I'll spam on Psynews cause I got no friends"?

None of my friends will ever do Dark Psy cause they all have good taste in music. Everybody knows that Goa Gil and his music is a big joke.

Says the new chairman of psynews members with bad taste club :lol:

Rotwang seems to be like a nice guy with a good education, I have no idea why he sticks with that nonsense. I could expect that from an acid casualty or an air head like Reger.

Rotwang seems to be like a nice guy with a good education, I have no idea why he sticks with that nonsense.

Because I'm a nice guy with a good education. Why can't you just accept that not everyone has to have the same taste in music as you? It happens that I do believe that there is such a thing as objective quality in music, even though nobody can define it or come up with an objective procedure to test for it (the same is true of truth, but few people doubt that it nonetheless exists). But I usually can tell the difference between music that I don't enjoy because it's bad and music that I don't enjoy because I don't understand it. The fact that you repeatedly describe darkpsy as "random noise" when it doesn't sound random to the people who like it suggests that you don't understand it, just as surely as somebody who thinks that the Fibonacci sequence is random doesn't understand it.

edit: OK, admittedly the "nice guy" part is debatable.

None of my friends will ever do Dark Psy cause they all have good taste in music. Everybody knows that Goa Gil and his music is a big joke.

Rotwang seems to be like a nice guy with a good education, I have no idea why he sticks with that nonsense. I could expect that from an acid casualty or an air head like Reger.

Hey lay off Regre, he's a good guy.

I don't like darkpsy (well most of it), but I have no need to bash it. And I don't think it's random noise, though some of it is made with extremely bad taste, like the compilation Lethal Doses :wacko:

Sorry for the OT, don't have anything to say about Gil except that I didn't like Primal Meltdown at all...

I don't like darkpsy (well most of it), but I have no need to bash it. And I don't think it's random noise, though some of it is made with extremely bad taste, like the compilation Lethal Doses :wacko:

I agree with you about this - I really don't like the goth-style fixation with death, satanism etc. that has crept into a lot of psytrance artwork. I don't want to be made to think about that kind of thing while I'm partying and I don't see what any of it has to do with "psy" or "trance". Not all darkpsy is like that though, and it certainly isn't what darkpsy is "about".

Not all dark and particularly forest trance suxx.

Exactly.. However some people like Pavel fail to grasp the relavitism of it all & listener's individual perception, implying that anyone that enjoys dark psychedelic trance is either an 'acid causalty' or an 'airhead'.

:unsure::rolleyes:

Exactly.. However some people like Pavel fail to grasp the relavitism of it all & listener's individual perception, implying that anyone that enjoys dark psychedelic trance is either an 'acid causalty' or an 'airhead'.

:unsure::rolleyes:

That's right. Some of them are airhead acid casualties.

Oh yes, not understanding/liking a kind of music makes those that do airheads.

Definitely.

:rolleyes:

hey don't forget to most of the world, it's all calculator music.

anyway,

Goa Gil is a brand. Noobs eat this, sober-thinking people don't.

yes, sounds about right.

"the man who Synergized East and West"

with Gil appearing godlike full with halo and everything.

that was the flyer a couple years ago

i think this image from a recent album kinda sums up how we are expected to view this guy, seems a bit much.

Posted Image

for me he was no holy man- come on he was a dope fiend. he was to me just this incredible sound you couldn't get anywhere else, worth a lot of effort to see, and it made seeing any other live act seem like they were - well, you always wanted more jerry. No, Jerry wasn't a holy man to me, but he was irreplaceable, that is the relation to Gil.

a bunch of deadheads talk down to people who've never seen jerry, and all deadheads are kinda permanently sad and screwed by jerry being dead. i imagine elvis of lennon people could feel the same way, and the Gil thing is shaping up for a similar end. having gone thru it once, i avoid it in the trance scene.

It's funny: psychedelics - and psychedelic music for that matter - to me are about opening up, opening one's mind, being open to opinions. That stuff. I thought cocaine was all about the holier than thou feeling, but I guess for more than some people it's all about superiority. And that sucks. Your arguments made a lot of sense (If Dead shows were indeed such an amazing experience compared to everything else out there), but after all, the Greatful Dead were just a band. Elvis, just a band. The Beatles, just a band ...

:)

like i said earlier, to me the greatest thing about electronica is no one person can bring it to a halt, and that's what bothered me most about the Gil scene, it's made out that at least here in Cal, we'd never have another "greater than great" party if Gil died?

It seems that that is a problem related to your area, though. I have never experienced that anywhere. In fact, most people I meet think Goa Gil and his attitude suck ass.

Pavel: I don't know if you're serious or not, but that's just a lame attitude dude. Feeling superior, eh? ;)

oh my, we got so picky :girly.gif:

That's right. Some of them are airhead acid casualties.

how about this - trentemoller is music for faggots :wank:

really.

not really, couldnt care less, you obviously could ;)

It seems that that is a problem related to your area, though. I have never experienced that anywhere. In fact, most people I meet think Goa Gil and his attitude suck ass.

really interesting, and something of a relief to hear.

i have really been looked down on, yelled at , the list goes on of crap i have taken for not being a gil worshipper, and i always had a feeling these people were full of it, that this "gil" thing was not as big a deal everywhere else, that the rest of the world wasn't in the church of gil

he must be gay.. he even has naked men on his cd cover:

and he is holding a big ass dildo!

Posted Image

on a more serious note:

good (and famous) dj's usually have the next aspects:

1) good musical choices

2) good technique

3) charisma

1) the style of music he plays is purely a matter of opinion. Cant argue about that.

2) his mixing is shite. so on this matter he seriously sucks and doesnt qualify for being a good dj.

3) appearently he has some charisma. havent properly seen one of his sets so i dont know. Although his ego seems a little too big (based on rumours and gossip).

That sums up he doesnt really qualify for being a good dj. Sure you can argue whether these are truely aspects of a good dj or not. But i think they are valid.

All in all: if people like his sets let them enjoy it. I for sure will not make any efforts to go and see him.

I don't like his music to be honest, but i don't blame those who like it! It's not all people having the same taste after all!

It's been 6-7 years since the last time i saw him playing, but i remember i had a nice time at that last party! As everybody knows his sets are too raw, as he doesn't even use a mixer and he plays full on of the worst kind, but as far as i know all his parties are super over crowded! That means people like him, he's successful in what hes doing, no mater if we like it or not!

Funny thing is that 95% of the people in his parties are between 16-25, and you hardly see any person older than 30!

overcrowded does not mean always that people LIKE him, sometimes places are overcrowded due to hype+lack of own taste and will, cause its so cool to be 'avin it and stompin' at "x" party and dont forget to add all wannabe hippy and shanti shanti open minded ones :D