Which style of ambient you prefer the most?

Ormion

Which style of ambient you prefer the most?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Choose a style

• Freestyle with live organs (Shpongle,Entheogenic)
    • Beatless-Atmospheric (Ultimae style)
    • Melodic of any form (Psyfactor,Unstable Elements)
    • Downtempo
    • Experimental (Psy-Harmonics style, Suomi etc.)
    • Old School-Goambient
    • Ethnic
    • Other

Dark Ambient is definitely my number one style:

LUSTMORD: The Place Where The Black Stars Hang, Rising

AMON: Mopula, Gateway, Time is Waiting, Osirion,

LULL: Lost Sanctum, Long Way From Home, Slow Fall Inwards

Mystical/Space Ambient:

MATHIAS GRASSOW: The Old Park, Siddharta, Selina, Nightveil

JONN SERRIE: The Far River

JON MARK: Eye of the Falcon, Sirocco

And occasionally, PETE NAMLOOK: Asbendos, Winter, The Flight

Psymbient:

SHPONGLE: all tracks

SAAFI BROTHERS: Mystic Cigarettes and Midnight's Children-albums

INFINITY PROJECT: The Answer, When Sound Becomes Color, Mystical Experience

ENTHEOGENIC: Absolute Love, Twilight Eyes, Pagan Dream Machines, Invisible Landscapes

YOUNGER BROTHER: Ribbon on a Branch, Sleepwalker, Psychic Gibbon, Safety Zone,

GALAXY

SOLAR FIELDS

Various:

MODULA GREEN

FULL MOON FASHIONS

I never considered Shpongle ambient, by the way. Occasionally they move into ambient territory on tracks like Invocation, Shpongle Falls and And The Day Turned to Night, but I believe that Shpongle is a genre in itself. There are just too many crossovers to accurately define it as a style.... which is pretty much a style in itself.

If I really need to space out in a hammock or in my bed I prefer beatless old and new stuff...

If I am doing stuff I like a good mixture... too much of the same style bugs me a bit! But I have to name a favorite style it might be.. fuck I dunno :unsure:

(btw Ultimae isn't really beatless is it :P well the Sync24 album and Oxycanta could be called that... but the rest??! Some I would even call trance-ambient (as in 4x4 beats) or as someone once said here trance on tranquilizers :lol: )

(btw Ultimae isn't really beatless is it :P well the Sync24 album and Oxycanta could be called that... but the rest??! Some I would even call trance-ambient (as in 4x4 beats) or as someone once said here trance on tranquilizers :lol: )

even those aren't beatless! subtle beats are very nice.

I like nice floaty ambient with subtle beats that come in a nd out but aren't the focal point of the track.

The kind that isn't boring :)

I find all that sound scape stuff rather numbing. Like I find myself thinking "fuck why doesn't anything happen, can't the next tune start already..".. and that's not relaxing at all.. :wank:

On the other hand I can enjoy very minimal music..uh there's a paradox here :unsure:

Yeah sometimes I love minimal music and sometimes I despise it, but it´s hard to tell exactly when I like it or not... comes down to very personal taste.

Like Stars of the Lid, they make minimal drone music in their own specific style and I really like their album the Ballasted Orchestra, but then I got ´The Tired Sounds Of...` and I found it exactly like the title says, dreadfully boring and tiresome

I'm not really sure about the different genres of ambient so I've played save and voter for melodic of any kind, that always fits. :P I like stuff like Shpongle or Enthogenic but also Kuba, Ott, Kukan Dub Lagan and Khooman. As long as something is happening I'm fine with it.

even those aren't beatless! subtle beats are very nice.

I like nice floaty ambient with subtle beats that come in a nd out but aren't the focal point of the track.

u are right... thats why I said it could be called that cus yes there are subtle beats in most tracks... but I guess really "beat"less would some floating soundscapes like Michael Stearns - Planetary Unfolding or something like that... I haven't heard much of that lately though... (I mean new releases)

I practically like every ambient genre you named and whenever there is some quality release, I enjoy in it as much as possible. I agree with Time Trap of not including the essence of old school ambient music : Brian Eno, Robert Rich, Steve Roach, Brian Lustmord, Pete Namlook, Geir Jenssen, Tetsu Innoue, Bill Laswell and the likes... But from your list I have to choose Old School - Goambient genre :lol:

Favourites from that genre :

Transwave - Ulysses Pt.III

Shakta - Earthrise

Cosmosis - Afterglow

MFG - Metamorphosis

Total Eclipse - 51 Pegasus

Astral Projection - Ambient Galaxy

SUN Project - Deeper And Deeper

Man With No Name - Azymuth

Dimension 5 - Mind To Mind

Celtic Cross - Kathmandu

X-Dream - Relax Vortex