New Keyboard

So I decided to get a keyboard/synth for my PC, eighter a MIDI one or an USB one.

Pro's, Con's?

preferably one with 45+ keys

Cons Midi: You need a midi controller to control it.

I do not think that a 45 key keyboard exists either, it does not make sense hehe 49 would make sense, as it is 4 octaves plus 1 key... no? Anyways, I am tired and I am not going to go deeper into this, but I would get a Novation Remote 49SL :)

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend in the end.

If you just wanted a controller - don't have much money - get a little controller.

If you want better keys, some on-board ROM get a synth with a usb output so you can use it as a controller aswell.

I like the novation Nemo mentions. They make some good stuff IMHO.

I think anyone should get at least 49 keys to practice playing on it and get better.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the emu xboard 49 and it is great

i use it through midi

no problems

its got a lot of knobs too :) so good to control your soft synths

or your modules

Looks really sweet, was thinkin about getting one... But can you use the knobs for controlling the "cut of" ect. in Vanguard and other vst's?

• 2 weeks later...

You would be better off getting a synth with that kind of money, and I mean a rock solid one - you can find them. Get a micro korg or something like that.

If you just want a controller I wouldn't spend more than $200 / 200 euros. I myself donned the M-Audio Axiom 49, love it for its pads, sliders, and knobs - its got every midi control I need on it.

Aslo you sure about 88 keys? Thats quite alot of keys, unless you see yourself playing live between 3 or more octaves all those extra keys do is add on the price and nothing else. Most controllers will have a button to change the octaves. IMO unless you really need that many keys, that keyboard is just going to take up a whole lot of room :) Now its not a bad choice, the keyboard is really good - but again it all comes down to what you feel like using it for and if you think its worth the money.

In otherwords, everyone will tell you to get something different :) I've noticed this when people give out recommendations, its good to heed some of what they say but honestly the deciding factor is simply what you want and what you think will be best for the price.

well i really dont need it for anything else than to control the softsynths in reason, and also for practising Piano play as i want to learn to play professionally, hence the numbers of keys..

also im using a norwegian shop to avoid duty, and they dont got so much in stock..

do you know what professional piano player is :D?

</party pooper mode off>

thats why youve been hitting those keys on your pc so hard spamming :P

I almost said something about spam and reger, but I will not, hell will break lose! :lol:

e. the joke about hitting keyboard is good though hehe.

well i really dont need it for anything else than to control the softsynths in reason, and also for practising Piano play as i want to learn to play professionally, hence the numbers of keys..

also im using a norwegian shop to avoid duty, and they dont got so much in stock..

It looks like a good choice to me.

You don't have to adust to weighted keys when switching to piano and that is a big big deal.

If you learn on nonweighted it is hard to play regular pianos.

I have seen this model in shops and it does feel solid (hence the price).

So yea I would recommend.

It looks like a good choice to me.

You don't have to adust to weighted keys when switching to piano and that is a big big deal.

If you learn on nonweighted it is hard to play regular pianos.

I have seen this model in shops and it does feel solid (hence the price).

So yea I would recommend.

so thats what weighted keys are.. :lol: didnt get it earlier.. haha... stupid me.

and reger; funny joke, to bad is wasnt human.. since you are a machine :rolleyes:

To start this off, I should say that I played the piano for a number of years as a kid, and recently started playing again casually.

I have a Novation Remote SL61 MIDI controller and love the thing. I don't find it that particularly difficult to go back and forth between playing synthesizers on the keyboard and classical pieces on the piano, but I certainly can't envision playing anything classical on the keyboard - the resistance from the keys is too little, and getting timing right so that complex passages don't sound disjointed from keys landing at different times (ones in different hands that should be simultaneous) is difficult.

However, I'd think playing synthesizers on a piano weighted keyboard would be hell. There's no way you could play as lightly and quickly as they demand.

Imagine typing on a piano weighted keyboard... ;)

To start this off, I should say that I played the piano for a number of years as a kid, and recently started playing again casually.

I have a Novation Remote SL61 MIDI controller and love the thing. I don't find it that particularly difficult to go back and forth between playing synthesizers on the keyboard and classical pieces on the piano, but I certainly can't envision playing anything classical on the keyboard - the resistance from the keys is too little, and getting timing right so that complex passages don't sound disjointed from keys landing at different times (ones in different hands that should be simultaneous) is difficult.

However, I'd think playing synthesizers on a piano weighted keyboard would be hell. There's no way you could play as lightly and quickly as they demand.

i dont intend to type fast on my keyboard when making music.. im going downbeat / chillout / ambient / world / blablabla... style.. :P

Try the A-80, it's a serious board and you may find out that this board contradicts your statement. Even the kurzweil midiboard. These two will give you near-piano feel and even aftertouch polyphonic stylee.

There have been folks who have hooked up piano midi, but without the goodness of polyat and that kind of makes it pointless, i would think.

Aaron

Hi guys,

I just saw the recomendation of the Novation Remote 49SL - I strongly advice againt that. I bought one, and it acted a bit funny and then, a month after purchase, it died. Before it did, whenever I was playing a sequence, and tweaking knobs at the same time, the lowest MIDI note would hang - even though it was never played in the sequence. This problem was definetly due to the keyboard, since no other gear was changed.

- A