Ace Ventura - Rebirth (Iboga Records September 2007)

Goa Bill

1. Intro

2. Serenity now

3. Psychic Experience

4. Sao Paulo

5. Stimulator

6. Presence

7. M.A.R.S.

8. The Light

9. Exposed

Unless you have been living under the rocks in some Afganistanian cave you should already be familiar with Ace Ventura and with Iboga Records. If you're not, i can only suggest you pressing pause on your Astral Projection mini discs and smell the espresso. This is Ace's debut album and he releases it after a string of pretty successful single tracks on Iboga and Echoes records to name a few. The album consists of 8 tracks and one short intro in the beginning. So what's on the menu? Serenity Now, a small homage to Seinfeld, starts with indeed a quite laidback vibe, a nice taste of what comes next but not much more than that. The 3rd track, Psychic Experience, that was written with Mr. Capo aka Liquid Soul, a core member in the Iboga family with one hit album out. In this track, their second one together they really kick off the album. This is a firm dancefloor killer with catchy sample and strong rhythm. The 4th tune named Sao Paolo is the first barbaric track in this album. It presents Ace's trademark full-on in guise of progressive sound and this tune already causing havoc everywhere it's played. Including in Petach Tikva.

Stimulator, the 5th track was co written with Dani Keinan, aka, Intelabeam. Although this track sports really cool trippy sound it fails to really deliever. Some nice moments there but unfortunatelly nothing more than that. Presence, the 6th track is another barbaric monster. Heavy pounding beats that only towards the end leave some space for a tiny, yet efficient melody. Play it till the neighbours call the police. M.A.R.S is next and it's yet another stormer, fortified with a sample from the cult Total Recall movie and some vitamin 303 to send you back to the happy 90's. You'll dig to this one without asking. The 8th track was co written with Lish and it's probably the biggest hit here and if you've been to a party lately there is no way you could've missed it. This is a long, 10 minutes epic, with some serious hands in the air melodies and rhythmic changes. Killer one. The album is closed with Exposed. It's as expected more laidback tune, can't say it stands out in any way but after the track that came before not many tracks

would.

Bottom line: If you love your trance gentle but pounding. Melodic but not overly cheesy and if you enjoy the Iboga sound this album is a must. I think it tops easily everything they have released this year.

Favorites: 3! 4! 6!! 7!! 8!!!

• Like 1

It's a good album, The Light absolutely kills but after 5 listens I still don't see it as anything groundbreaking. Stupid expectations :(

So far I liked Gaudium better than this album so I am guessing this one would be second best from Iboga in my books. There wasn't much competition though, new Antix is not exactly the sound I am looking for, BBE was just terrible and SCS made a very solid album but I just can't remember any of it no matter how many times I listen to it (when I do sit through it it is an enjoyable experience).

Let's see what I think after 5 more listens :)

p.s. well I think the album starts strong and ends strong but sucks ass in between :(

Okey, I have listened to this album 5 straight times since I got it, and I must say that its up there together with OOOD's last album. Not because its the same style, but because its got the same quality! This is a very thought through album that went straight into my little diabetes heart, and then made it pump faster. I am amazed with the flow, and the way of thinking of this man, Ace "the man" Ventura! It got all the elements that I am looking for, trance, acid, techno and proggressive builds!

I wish I had the time and patience to write a full on review for this album, but I simply can not at the moment, but I hope that my few words will make you interested in listening to this piece of art that has been created! Same as for OOOD, this album tops my top and gets a 11/10

Maybe I will go through the tracks at a later point!

as they say in Spain, "A job extremely well done"

Nemo //In listening mood

Hi All !

Iboga Records is the hottest prog label of the last years in favor of spectacular compilations and albums, and the most awaited release (at least for me) is finally coming out. Ace Ventura is solo project of Yoni Oshrat, old groover and half of the full-onish duo - Psysex. Yoni is also responsible for a promising Electro project called "Schatsi". His debut album, Rebirth, has very high expectations after several lovely releases on varied labels such as Domo, Blue Tunes and Flow Records.

Lets check what is the story behind Yoni's rebirth.

Posted Image

01. Intro

The first track is an official introduction to the next to come. Almost two minutes of developing up and fine preface for the second track.

02. Serenity now

The trip is opening...Yoni is demand serenity, but the track has completely different target. The sound quality is super professional and that is an important factor on Ace's music. The kick is powerful, the bassline is still calm but the vibes are intense. The melodies are smiley & happy and the atmosphere is amazing. No need two or three tracks for get in Yoni's vision, "Serenity now" track is doing the job well.

03. Psychic Experience (With Liquid Soul)

I'm sure that each progressive fan would dream for such an interesting combination between the European happiest prog producer and the official Israeli dance floor cracker. The result is even better than I expect. "Psychic Experience" track is smart piece of groove with rare vibes and special flowing. This track has the ability to connect every psytrance listener, because the unique simplicity and the friendly beats all over it. After five minutes of non-stop smiles, the main brake is coming...and what a bomb it is hide beyond. Capo & Yoni, please work together more often .

04. Sao Paulo

I hope you all recovered, because "Sao Paulo" track is going to press your legs hardly. It's start with continuous-kick and after one minute exactly got in a pumping bass, which leave no options but DIGGING. I can't share with you the feeling I get from the track, it's just impossible to do that with words. I'm still try to understand where all those bombs came from and as I think, the track is get down (03:25), but suddenly, twenty five seconds later, the kick is up again with renewed energies. I can write full page about this track, but in this case the words are meaningless. If you want to understand what is all the nonsense I'm writing here please hear it on high volume and good sound system.

05. Stimulator (with Intelabeam)

"Stimulator" track is a closing circle for me - before two years I fall in love with 'Nasty Peach' track of Yoni & Dan (Intelabeam), which released on 'Posse' compilation, and now they unite forces again. The tune here is sophisticated (exactly such as 'Nasty Peach' track) and gives the legs a short rest but focusing hardly on the brain . Single word is summarize all eight minutes & eleven seconds - GROOVE !

06. Presence

The sixth track has the lowest tempo comparing to the other album tracks, but don't even hope for relaxing tune - just the opposite. The mysterious beginning is indicate for the future minutes...prog attack ! "Presence" track is maybe kind of slow-motion full on, however the difference tiny but enormous - no full on track has this waves of vibes and atmosphere, this you could get just on low tempo. A deep storm of dust.

07. M.a.r.s.

I hope the strong trippers survived the last track and they are ready to the new challenge. I like to use the "danceable" definition, and here I can't find any other word to describe you the mess, called "M.A.R.S", but - DANCABLE. Sometimes I'm have difficulty to understand how it's possible to get seriously digging from 130-135 BPM track, but once is a period, I'm hear to this kind of tracks and remind .

08. The Light (With Lish)

Lior & Shay (Lish) drag Yoni to their state of melodies & emotions and the result is "The Light" track. Yoni is known as artist who like full power materials, but after six powerful tracks the body is must some serenity for recharge power. This track is magical in my opinion - super melodic, groovy and soft. The brake in the middle is almost makes my tears come out...so emotionally and smart - simply art. This variation is blessed.

09. Exposed

Last, but surely not least, is "Exposed" track. Each celebration must end and Yoni closing it perfectly. It's a track without pressure or exaggerated power, just suitable for ending the album with taste for more.

Don't get me wrong, this is very far from chill out track, but the atmosphere is so warm as the comfortable feeling of chill-out tunes.

To sum it up, "Rebirth" is one of the best albums I've heard ever. You will not find even a single "filler" track (sometimes artist compromises and put in hs album average track for fill allotment). With this album, Yoni is based his self on the top list of the progressive acts around the globe and he prove that his brilliant releases in compilation were not coincidental. All I have to do is to thank Yoni and Iboga for release this album and let us the chance to enjoy some high quality music.

Psytrance fans, please make sure you listen this album and if u like it, just buy it.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ibo/ibo1cd050.html

Hi All !

Iboga Records is the hottest prog label of the last years in favor of spectacular compilations and albums, and the most awaited release (at least for me) is finally coming out. Ace Ventura is solo project of Yoni Oshrat, old groover and half of the full-onish duo - Psysex. Yoni is also responsible for a promising Electro project called "Schatsi". His debut album, Rebirth, has very high expectations after several lovely releases on varied labels such as Domo, Blue Tunes and Flow Records.

Lets check what is the story behind Yoni's rebirth.

Posted Image

01. Intro

The first track is an official introduction to the next to come. Almost two minutes of developing up and fine preface for the second track.

02. Serenity now

The trip is opening...Yoni is demand serenity, but the track has completely different target. The sound quality is super professional and that is an important factor on Ace's music. The kick is powerful, the bassline is still calm but the vibes are intense. The melodies are smiley & happy and the atmosphere is amazing. No need two or three tracks for get in Yoni's vision, "Serenity now" track is doing the job well.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ibo/ibo1cd050.html

GREAT review, thanks broh.

And i totally agree with you, this is top dollar progressive trance. We can discuss if it is the greatest album ever, but it is definetly in the top end of what have been released the last couple of years.

:D

Overhyped. Well, maybe a good tool for DJs... but I dunno... Same stuff over and over again... for years now.

Iboga loses my faith. Again :)

Arhh, that's a little harsh isn't it? Maby it's not stuffed with innovative ideas, but the sound is huge, the details(breaks, effects, twists) are so well thought out, and the style is so polished.

Again, i understand what you meen, that's why i gave it a total af 9/10.

10+/10 for the production, 8-/10 for the plot.

great album!

one can clearly hear how much effort has been put in into all of the tracks. all sounds/samples and melodies are perfectly placed and baked together. maybe sometimes a little bit too perfect/too polished and clean but at the end this album is imo still a standout release.

after a long time of buying only single tracks from iboga on beatport, this one will be ordered physically.

9/10

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic album. Surely one of the standout albums for me in this genre this year. Took me a while to really appreciate what was going on in the tracks to be honest . Sounded like an average dancefloor oriented release initially, but i was so proven wrong on the fifth or sixth listen .. Just love the feeling when that happens :)

Favs : psychic experience , the light , MARS and exposed.

Outstanding production, nice progression, 2-3 great tunes but... it lacks the excitement other releases have imo...

-_-

It didn't make me smile or get up from my chair.

Great, great and again great... but what the heck is missing here??Maybe to sophisticated sound layering for me to understand...

Outstanding production, nice progression, 2-3 great tunes but... it lacks the excitement other releases have imo...

-_-

It didn't make me smile or get up from my chair.

Great, great and again great... but what the heck is missing here??Maybe to sophisticated sound layering for me to understand...

Just give it a few shots :) You will get it

Perfectly produced album, very mature, every sound incredibly finished up. But hell....i don't feel like listening to it over and over again, although i like it very much. The feeling i had while listening to sun control species last album returns.

What are those albums lacking of ? Emotions ?

Perfectly produced album, very mature, every sound incredibly finished up. But hell....i don't feel like listening to it over and over again, although i like it very much. The feeling i had while listening to sun control species last album returns.

Exactly! Both albums are there on the shelve and will probably remain there indefinitely. There is nothing in either album to 'get' me. I have 'crappier' albums that I would listen to just because there is something in there even though production value is nowhere near. I regret buying quite a few CDs this year :-/

Exactly! Both albums are there on the shelve and will probably remain there indefinitely. There is nothing in either album to 'get' me. I have 'crappier' albums that I would listen to just because there is something in there even though production value is nowhere near. I regret buying quite a few CDs this year :-/

I agree totally... Maybe some of the artists are trying to avoid cheesy melodies and dancey basslines and they do it so well that in the end they remove much of the feeling.

Anyway i'm not dissapointed of this album, but i feel a little sad cause it's so good that could be even better.

Peace

:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think this is an absolutely wonderful album. Alongside Perfect Stranger´s Changed album as the best progressive, and also one of the very best of the years. This is very different from changed though, whilst that one took a slightly darker, heavier, more electro/techno inspired approach Rebirth is a much lighter, dreamier album that just lets you float away on its melodies. It´s also one of those great album that sounds just as good on medium volume on a home stereo as it does pumped up on a massive system in order to get everyone dancing.

Oh, and The light is DEFINATELY the highlight of this album and probably my favourite single of 2007. That break in the middle sets the blood rushing through my veins everytime i hear it. Phenomenal stuff

8.5/10 for me

• 8 years later...

Pretty good album of pumping progressive trance where he pays attention to the little details that comprise a lush album. My favorites are The Light and the ones where he employs the 303 like M.A.R.S. The production exhibited a warm sound and was quite good to my ears. Not dated at all. Like others have mentioned no walls were harmed in its making, but it remains something of which he should be proud. I usually tire quickly with the Iboga sound, but this one ain't bad.