Portable gear for recording sets

Hey guys,

I was just wondering... what do you use to records your sets? I'd prefer something in audio format (mp3, ogg, whatever) instead of having to use something like minidiscs or whatnot. I am crazily lazy, so I prefer something that I can just plug into my computer, with a USB cable or something.

I know I'm asking for much, but it's just gotta be simple, cause I'll probably use it for just one task (i.e. recording sets). At home I'm always in a different mood than when I spin for a crowd. And it depends a lot on the crowd and at the setting, and well, my state-of-mind too. ;)

But, that is offtopic.

So, what do you use? Do you use anything other than a laptop (which I do not have)? What's good, what's cheap, etc.

My eternal thanksgiving-turkey,

Snaap

I've used a Creative Nomad Jukebox for years. 6GB hard disc mp3 player/recorder. Not so great as a player, but it can record 16 bit wave pretty well thru 1/8" jack. Plus, they are probably like $50 on ebay these days. If all your recording is a stereo pair, I think you'd be happiest with something like the mentioned iRiver, or something iPod-ish.

My problem is when I started playing with other people. Recording a mixdown is problematic. Trying to find anything not computer interfaced for simultaneously recording 6 - 8 channels is very expensive. All I need is to record the channels to seperate wav files, & be able to pull the tracks down to computer via USB or firewire. Problem is, everything that can do that is designed to be a fuill workstation recorder, and has a ton of stuff I don't need, and tends to be rather large.

Try looking up Audacity and playing around with that... (software, but it's really good) If you have the drivers to record from the audio mixer, you don't need an mp3 player. It also renders to a couple of different types output files.

Good luck, Happy Hunting! :posford: