VA- Kokopelli

Va- Kokopelli (conscious dreams)

Posted Image

Once upon a time in the small streets and alleys of the redlight district in Amsterdam there was a smartshop called Conscious Dreams Kokopelli. The brightly coloured shop provided a little oasis for its psychedelic friends in between the illustre businesses in its neighbourhood. Many a traveller has entered the shop for some psychedelic candy and closed his eyes in the chillout area in the back of the shop to enjoy some closed eye visions or control his uncontrolable laughter.

After ten years of legal psychedelic culture it felt like a good time to release a cd with some of the relaxing sounds and trippy atmospheres that the shop is known for. A chill out release for all to enjoy during leisure activities. Friendly vibes and funky beats. Trippy sounds and swirling tones. Moving miracles and miracle moves. Refreshing scapes and soothing glides.

Over the years many upcoming talents have had the chance of trying out their skills and ideas in the shop and for this release the same idea was adopted. Mostly new artists with some well known names. The album is compiled by Veer & Supergroover.

1 Tom van Huystee & Gijs van Klooster- Whale

2 Siebzehn- kali yuga

3 Cloudwalker- green radiance

4 Siebzehn- hangar 18

5 Siebzehn- interzone

6 Prosect- palenque

7 Moravec- hyperion

8 Organix- swim & glide

9 Samorost- you

1 Tom van Huystee & Gijs van Klooster- Whale

This track is a collaboration of two friends who dived deeply into their instruments for months. Starting of with very relaxing sounds, with an almost meditative feeling. Subtle percussion in the back and a lovely ambietesk feel to it. You can pretty much see the whale swim by.

2 Siebzehn- kali yuga

Entering land after the ocean and you can feel the grain of sand in between your toes. Bounty Island has been conquered by Siebzehn. He crafted a breakbeatish track with plenty of pad and melody action on top of the beats. Spacelicious!

3 Cloudwalker- green radiance

We continue the ascent with cloudwalker. Of into the fluffy clouds with slow triphopstyle beats and friendly melodies. An ambient audio landscape for the mind with layers of sounds flying around the speakers. Lush pads drift your thoughts to other places.

4 Siebzehn- hangar 18

Back to earth with another track by Siebzehn. This man knows how to write beautiful tunes. This one is a little slow dubby style track with something that sounds like a cat longing for more lazy summer nights at the end of his favourite season. To that Siebzehn adds some nice atmospheres. Could have easily been the soundtrack for a garfield cartoon. You can see him moving just a single toe to the grooviness of the beat.

5 Siebzehn- interzone

Interzone continues with a little more energetic vibe to it. Lots of hihats flying around the room. You might even hear some aggressive sounding leads. It feels like there is some tension in the air here that needs to be released.

Again Siebzehn produces some really nice melodies in this track. He has no problem producing good melodies and stays far away from cheesiness. No camembert for him.

6 Prosect- palenque

Next up is prosect. Familiar from other projects like Sound field and ICO. The track has a Mexican vibe to it. Breakbeatish kinda start which progresses into a 4 to the floor beat. Introduced by a shaman preparing some peyote or maybe just muttering about his wife giving him a rough time, who knows wink.gif Nice track that fuses psychill with world music and trance.

7 Moravec- hyperion

Entering the spirit world with Dutch producer Moravec. He delivers us a triphoppish breakbeatish idmish kinda beat. Not the average sampled beatloops here. Add to that lots of pads and swirling sounds and you have nine minutes of nice music. Nice track with a little more active feel to it.

8 Organix- swim & glide

Very groovy track that would be the perfect soundtrack for a midsummernight swim, glide and dive session. It feels like the sounds themselves are gliding in the air. Very friendly track by two promissing dutchies. Their first album is due any time soon.

Splushh….

9 Samorost- you

Last but not least is producer samorost with a relaxed melodic journey. A slow triphoppish beat and pleasant leads. The sun sets on the white palmy beaches of Costa rica and cowboy Samorost galops away towards the horizon.

Hope you enjoy this release from Kokopelli Conscious Dreams. We sure did enjoy compiling it! Distributed by Arabesque and available soon at the usual suspects psyshop.com and saikosounds.com.

I listened to this compilation today. It sounds sweet all along.

Siebzehn tracks are the most impressive, quite close to what CBL or SolarFields do.

This compilation isn't revolitionary but it hilights "less mainstream" artists with a strong potential who provide the listener with a brillant journey.

Hey!

Did someone remove my message? Why? I was just kidding of coursely.

Ok, now in all seriousness... I agree with mars. Siebzehn and Organix have the best tracks on this album. :) In depth review might follow.

Artwork is simply great.

• 1 month later...

glad you like it! :)

But reggea psychedelic? :huh:

Not sure i understand what you mean with that.

yeah, indeed i do. I see it as one of the best releases this year!

And a great review BTW. :)

I am thinking of the Siebzehn track - hangar 18, that beat reminds me in so many ways of a typical downtempo reggae beat, not to mention Cloudwalker - Green radiance, also the same type of beat. Two amazing songs with alot of feeling to them! :clapping:

Organix- swim & glide is good to, but my favourite song is "Siebzehn - hangar 18" that song has its own soul!

Siebzehn tracks are the most impressive,

Agree, who is that guy anyway?? :blink: Some very smooth ear-hanging tracks, and very nicely done!

• 2 months later...