Questions about legal issues with throwing goa party

Lu Bu

Ok basically my friend pete has an amazing house. Hes a bachelor, very secluded, 3 decks, pool the works. We could get about 200 people there comfortably inside and out and I got all the gear to do it up. Even my big weightlifter friend is gonna be a doorman to collect money, as well as make sure no drugs come in and nothing goes haywire.

So two questions are this,

1 - if the site gets raided since im just the dj, not the house owner or anything am i still liable. I highly doubt that will be a problem though. The policy is show up wrecked or dont get wrecked at all.

2 - if underage drinking occurs and something comes of it.

Whoever is experienced if you could please give me some info. Appreciated :)

It depends on the laws and the tendencies of the authorities wherever you live. Generally a time-honoured way to get around most legal restrictions in a case like this is to make it a "private party" by invite only. You could go to the length of making people buy a ticket in advance, but that may be too much hassle. Perhaps the best thing to do is keep anything questionable out-of-sight, try and keep people from tearing around the neighbourhood (assuming there are neighbours), and IF the authorities show up, have a means of distributing word throughout the event to have people clean up/hide incriminating stuff as needed. It is also important to have someone on hand to know the laws of your land, to communicate to any authorities in a non-confrontational, informed fashion. The #1 reason parties get busted is because there is no advance plan on how to deal with cops, and no one really knows what sort of magic things you can say to keep them at bay. Learn this, apply the knowledge in a forthright and respectable manner, and you can avoid a lot of hassle. Time and again I see parties busted after someone starts shouting "fuck the pigs" whereas non-threatening gatherings of people having a good time (even with open alcohol in a city park with loud music) are permitted to go on. Out here in Toronto we even once had cops cover for us by telling their commanding officer that the lights and music in the trees were nothing out of the ordinary, and then had a guy wait at the party to let us know when the coast was clear to resume the beats. It really depends, in those sort of situations, on how you approach the cops, and some amount of luck :) I hope this helps somehow.

It depends on the laws and the tendencies of the authorities wherever you live. Generally a time-honoured way to get around most legal restrictions in a case like this is to make it a "private party" by invite only. You could go to the length of making people buy a ticket in advance, but that may be too much hassle. Perhaps the best thing to do is keep anything questionable out-of-sight, try and keep people from tearing around the neighbourhood (assuming there are neighbours), and IF the authorities show up, have a means of distributing word throughout the event to have people clean up/hide incriminating stuff as needed. It is also important to have someone on hand to know the laws of your land, to communicate to any authorities in a non-confrontational, informed fashion. The #1 reason parties get busted is because there is no advance plan on how to deal with cops, and no one really knows what sort of magic things you can say to keep them at bay. Learn this, apply the knowledge in a forthright and respectable manner, and you can avoid a lot of hassle. Time and again I see parties busted after someone starts shouting "fuck the pigs" whereas non-threatening gatherings of people having a good time (even with open alcohol in a city park with loud music) are permitted to go on. Out here in Toronto we even once had cops cover for us by telling their commanding officer that the lights and music in the trees were nothing out of the ordinary, and then had a guy wait at the party to let us know when the coast was clear to resume the beats. It really depends, in those sort of situations, on how you approach the cops, and some amount of luck :) I hope this helps somehow.

yes brother thank you bigtime. despite my idiocy on the forums in person in a very rational and kind person. as far as talking to cops thats never a problem. i havent gotten a speeding ticket in my mustang or my motorcycle when stopped. so i have most planned out just need the smoothest talker in the even to have a preplanned speech as well as designate some people to handle a skrimish of things if needed. but being a though im pretty good at organizing i dont think much will be a problem. his neighbors are so far i think you could have a demo derby there and they wouldnt here. my friend whos gonna be the doorman is a freak hes 6'5 and 260 pounds and most of petes people will understand come wrecked or no wrecked at all.

thanks again my brother

If it's gonna be a small and private party, why have a huge and agressive (?) bouncer checking people for drugs? That would ruin it from the start, wouldn't it?

No and No. Im a businessman first.

I will spin the whole time, I dont care about dancing.

My doorman will be more then allowed to check for drugs, I want MY event to be fun and safe for the people who come as well as me.

Between pete being a popular person who many respect and will listen to, and the mixes hes distributed over the course of the past 6 months i think were good. Like you said its a private party so i can do what i want, what i want is some fun, but also safe.

Ok basically my friend pete has an amazing house. Hes a bachelor, very secluded, 3 decks, pool the works. We could get about 200 people there comfortably inside and out and I got all the gear to do it up. Even my big weightlifter friend is gonna be a doorman to collect money, as well as make sure no drugs come in and nothing goes haywire.

So two questions are this,

1 - if the site gets raided since im just the dj, not the house owner or anything am i still liable. I highly doubt that will be a problem though. The policy is show up wrecked or dont get wrecked at all.

2 - if underage drinking occurs and something comes of it.

Whoever is experienced if you could please give me some info. Appreciated :)

If its a party on private land, then the cops cannot stop the party. If there are noise complaints however, they can tell you to shut the music off during the night (usually considered 2am-8am) and then at that time the music can start again. The land owner is still liable if there is underage drinking occurring on his property, and the cops if they reeaally wanted to be assholes could go around and check people's id's but if is a peaceful encounter, most likely they won't go through the trouble of doing this. That's been my experience. Good luck!

Here in Portugal you can make all the nosie u want after 7 a.m. if the same is in france u can make the party start right on the morning by the way having a doorman cheking people for drugs is not a very good idea on a goa party i think, just tell people not to bring drugs or at least big amounts of drugs :lol:

My doorman will be more then allowed to check for drugs, I want MY event to be fun and safe for the people who come as well as me.

sounds bit wrong to me, if you know what i mean, like your party loses some spirit of freedom :unsure:

sounds bit wrong to me, if you know what i mean, like your party loses some spirit of freedom :unsure:

agreed, but i dont have any room for risks in life. just trying to have a good SAFE time, even if it means a little security. either way its gonna be bonkers. imma talk to pete in a lil bit, if it goes down this weekedn ill get pics and use my camcorder. next weekend same deal.

well, inviting lots of peeps [as you said you could pack 200 in there] always possess some risk, so either you throw some nice undergound party with invitations only and for people you count on and know they wont make shit or you just dont take the risk and dont make one :D cause everything else is a failure :P

a pool?

whenever you feel the need for an international appearance, contact me please!

it might sound perky, but i can seriously rock trancefloorz :P

edit: can somebody explain me why i have the feeling that lu bu is from canada? :blink:

He's from the Planet of the Ass-Kicking Goa DJs is where he's from.

Good luck with the party :)

hellllllllllllllllllls yes. once i win the title. i retire and its goa 100%.

thanks everyone more details to come. but petes house is very private and i live in pennsylvania USA. if you wanna come lemme know. STROUDSBURG, PA, to be exact

People being searched by the doorman can sue him for harrassment.