UX is back

HolyLight

IMO it was Pete Martin (aka Slide) who made that UX project special. Just compare Unstable with Brain Filter! Even though the latter is not bad, all the hooks and tricks that made UX music exceptional seem to be coming from Pete, rather than Kris. Kris seemed to be rather responsible for rhythmics and ambiences (which were cool, I have to admit), but UX to me was so much more than just that - I loved their melodical crazyness, off-the-wall transitions and unexpected arrangement ideas.

I much prefer Brain Filter to Unstable. Granted the melodies were coming more from Slide, but I think Ultimate Experience was not about the melodies, they were just the icing on top so to speak, but definitely not the most remarkable part, definitely not what set the album apart for greatness imo. Syb Unity Nettwerk (Kylven) produced some good more typical goa stuff too. Odds was a little bland. But not much from Slide really sticks out to me, it's just mediocre standard goa.

Anyways I agree that this is likely to be crappy.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But not much from Slide really sticks out to me, it's just mediocre standard goa.

Slide can be called a lot of things (for example: intense dark alien psytrance), but "mediocre standard goa" is a very unfitting description. There's nothing goa about Slide in my opinion and I can't really see any "standard" about it. It's of course reminiscent of "Ultimate Experience" and somewhat related to Battle of the Future Buddhas, Orichalcum and maybe some Shaolin Wooden Men tracks. But very far from standard.

The Unstable album is a great dark journey from start to finish, and there are strong single track releases by Slide such as Alien Hitmen, Confusional State (a sound I wished had been more thoroughly explored by psytrance). The collaboration tracks with Process (The Real Creeper & Creepy Crawly) are also good, but the highlight is of course his collaborations with Cass (up until their debut album when most of the magic was gone).