hard to get ppl to get hooked on to psytrance

Apai_Mau

yup, referring to the topic above, honestly speaking i can say that 90% of the people here in malaysia are still hooked on to these:

hard house, house, hard dance, happy hardcore, hard trance, tech house, r n b (arrghh :angry: )

So far I tried introducing psy to a few of my buddies during our booze at the sea side, they quite like it, but this will never go far beyond that. Some more it's hard to make an event with the likes of koh phangan on this draconian (& near totalitarian) country. The clubbing scene is also affected: play beyond 3 a.m. & ur club gets busted if you're in bad luck.

Sorry for the rants, but i have to let this out. Looks like i have to stick to the net for promoting psy then.

Cheers, roger n out.

If you pay my place I'm willing to be your hooked friend for a few weeks :P

LOOOOL

You can convert people to the trance scene very easyally...just show them music all the time and they will be converted even if they dont like electronic music....i converted lots of my friends that were into rock in like a month :lol: now they only hear trance, its addictive :clapping:

I even converted my brother that only heard rock and mocked psytrance all the time....now he cant stop listening .....its the power of trance :lol::lol:

When trying to promote psy trance over there, you have to remember that everywhere where psy trance is established it's a small minority's music (except perhaps in Israel, but they have their nitzhonot (sp?), pop psy and what not). While that might sound depressing, it's a fact. (And even as psy trance has gained popularity in wider circles, it's come at the cost of quality.) So you can't expect to find many people who are going to like it.

LOOOOL

You can convert people to the trance scene very easyally...just show them music all the time and they will be converted even if they dont like electronic music....i converted lots of my friends that were into rock in like a month :lol: now they only hear trance, its addictive :clapping:

I even converted my brother that only heard rock and mocked psytrance all the time....now he cant stop listening .....its the power of trance :lol::lol:

no, im affraid, its the power of brainwashing :D

Here's what you do!

You need to get promoted so you are the top guy in the office. Then you can play all the psy you want and others will have to listen to it all day & will eventually fall in love with it.

Also this promotion will help you deck out your pad so sweetly that all your friends will choose your place to hang out & what gets played at your house? That's right!!! Psy! They will all listen to it in various states of mental incompetence & will grow to love it!

Easy really :ph34r:

Psytrance has got a lot to do with outdoor parties in nature, open spaces with beautiful people freely moving, dancing, chilling drinking smiling.. doing what they feel like doing when they do feel like doing and coming together for a single purpose, music.

I remember the days when I was drawn into listening to this genre, it was only after I was taken to a party by a friend, and I saw how connected people could be. Never had I seen such beautiful people, such great smiles, and such vibrant energy in my life. I had ofcourse had a drop in that party, though I know people who came for a lot of parties and still dint do drugs, so please leave the drugs for the people to choose, and its better if its not recommended at times... let people get the groove without it.. then it would definitely be the love for the music.

2 parties and a bit of music discussion will get youre friends hooked on to this scene. Now, im not entirely sure of what kind of scene there is (if there is even a scene in malasia), so if there is.. then you should very well be in it.

If there are not too many parties, then i would suggest, you play the music.. especially the mellow tracks that even non psy people (if I can term them that for now) can like. There are protoculture, older logic bomb, IM, even some older astrix & skazi.. that some people instantly get hooked on to. Also, ensure that its played on a good set of speakers.. the kick in the music is what needs to be heard ;)

Why bother ? exotic was right, just let it be, music will find them, if it needs.

I usually play something randomly and surprise people, and most of them had good feedback, like actually getting into it and dancing to it, but had no or some touch with any kind of electronic music. It is all about mementum, and when you play something to someone, it has to be at the right timing, situation or place. People are easily hooked on anything if it matches their moods at certain moment. Just hook them slowly, intuitively, discreetly. ;)

Some people I know hated psy, hate chill, hate ambient ... they actually hated every kind of electronic music except the trip hop stuff such as Thievery Corporation.

Once, as we were all stoned, I put on some Ultimae ambient stuff ... Solar Fields and Aes Dana. Guess what: they loved it! And from now on they respect it ... they don't listen to it, but they repect it for they know that it can be good music in the right situation.

So, wait for the right moment. If you just want to break through the wall by just playing psy all the time at your place you may risk that people don't want to come to your house anymore because they don't like the music. That happened to me too already. Now when people come they always tell me: "Please, leave your psytrance and all that synth shit in the drawer, will you?" I do it. It's not fun when I see othery aren't enjoying themselves.

You can convert people to the trance scene very easyally...just show them music all the time and they will be converted even if they dont like electronic music....i converted lots of my friends that were into rock in like a month :lol: now they only hear trance, its addictive :clapping

Here in Colombia it's the same situation, it's very hard to get people into psy trance, and it's also a very conservative country, so I find some parallel with the situation described in Malasya.

Here in the city there is a group of 20 to 30 people that like psy trance, but no more than that, some friends have made a collective of psy trance djs and parties, they even organized a big event outside the city on an incredible place, but the people didn't showed up, and those who showed up just didn't got into the special vibe and style of a psy trance party.

But I agree with divine, it's easier to get people that liked rock into psy trance, because if you analyze it there's a lot of elements in common, more than with other genres like house or techno, psy trance in all its modalities has kind of a rock feeling, so me and my friends are planning to introduce rock people to psy trance, maybe playing in some rock night clubs that nowdays are playing electronica sometimes, but they play electro and house, and I know that rock people would like psy trance instead.

We'll give it a try

Here in Colombia it's the same situation, it's very hard to get people into psy trance, and it's also a very conservative country, so I find some parallel with the situation described in Malasya.

Here in the city there is a group of 20 to 30 people that like psy trance, but no more than that, some friends have made a collective of psy trance djs and parties, they even organized a big event outside the city on an incredible place, but the people didn't showed up, and those who showed up just didn't got into the special vibe and style of a psy trance party.

But I agree with divine, it's easier to get people that liked rock into psy trance, because if you analyze it there's a lot of elements in common, more than with other genres like house or techno, psy trance in all its modalities has kind of a rock feeling, so me and my friends are planning to introduce rock people to psy trance, maybe playing in some rock night clubs that nowdays are playing electronica sometimes, but they play electro and house, and I know that rock people would like psy trance instead.

We'll give it a try

Really? Further comments about rock similarities? I don't find this at all.

No disrespect guys but if you think getting people hooked on Psy Trance is hard in your countries, try getting people to listen to it in America. I live in America and some of the music people listen to has got to be the most mainstream crap you can possibly listen to. R & B is generally what most people listen to. They want there lyrics to sing to. God forbid they listen to something original, unique, or complex. Nooooo, they want there simple, mindless, 3 minute radio songs to listen to. What ever is fed to them through the radio is what they gravitate to. As far as trying to get them hooked on Psy Trance, it's not going to be easy. If I had to suggest some artists, I would say the first 3 Infected Albums, some Eskimo, Viloet Vision's first CD not second, some Logic Bomb, and why not Cosmosis latest CD. I actaully let one of my co-workers listen to the first song off of Psychedelica Melodica and he was completely blown away. He demanded I let him borrow the CD, so I did. The older Infected was how I was introduced to Psy Trance and I can't think of a better way to introduce someone to the genre.

must add as well, that for the ones who have discovered psy recently, ie, newcommers, IM's oldies are very good introduction ;)

i dont listen to those IM tracks i found good back when i started to get into psy/goa anymore, nor to IM at all, dont like them anymore.

must add as well, that for the ones who have discovered psy recently, ie, newcommers, IM's oldies are very good introduction ;)

i dont listen to those IM tracks i found good back when i started to get into psy/goa anymore, nor to IM at all, dont like them anymore.

Well the gathering was good and classical too, but indeed don't put them on much either. They are the cliché starters cd's and most people know IM... You know them "yes I know goatrance, groups like, eeeuh yes like let me think eeuh, aah yes IM... and what else, eeuhm yes that's about it I know of names :s)."

I would give Alien Proteïn to newcommers or cosmology, mfg, then further one you get green nuns, ux, koxbox, etc...

alien protein is a good choice, however, it might be not the best, it is better given if person liked IM and whos been fed for some while some other "cliche" stuff and wants for more, be it quality wise or simply seeks for something different or just simply asks you for another goa recommendation :D

as for cosmology, not sure if its good to be given to newcommer, even years into goa/psy listening i still dont dig that one too much, perhaps i should put it some day on play again :D