02. Synchronized
03. Inferno
04. Hero
05. Re-entry (by Hyperception)
06. The Forgotten
07. Cracker
08. Hi-Fly (peculiar Rmx)
09. Other Species

This is Dustin Saalfield with his 3rd studio album. I really enjoyed Min-dala so this looks to be pretty good. He has released a good amount of tracks on other labels as well as releasing a DVD that was synchronized with animation called Syncrosect. I need to check that puppy out.

Mystic Entity- Deep pads with a tranquil forest join the sounds of a horse. This track has a very earthly feel to it, with the wind instrument melody peeking in. Ethereal whispers amidst chopped up chanting continue the groove. Lasers greet that wind instrument again but not in an aggressive way. There is a calm sensibility here even though the track is moving quite briskly. When the synth lines start appearing, the track really fills out. Awesome stuff!
Synchronized- "Our readings indicate that we are not in time and space as we understand it."

This starts like a lot of full on tracks, but there is great production value to be found. Nice synth lines dart alongside the bass line, as the pads give a soft warm feeling. High tones spiral into distortion over the bass. It seems like these sounds are expertly placed, forcing your mind to be aware. Metallic leads are filtered back and forth as the previous tones join in. Great track!

Inferno- This track moves from one phase to the other without the hint of being disjointed. There are several leads that vie for supremacy without sounding dissonant. With choirs, ambient noises that seem to come from all angles, and a bass line that won't quit, this track makes its way. By the time the final arpeggio arrives, the smile on my face is permanent. This is a perfect example of the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Great track!

Hero- Wow, a long one clocking in at almost 10 minutes! The quirky acoustic guitar over the rumbling bass line is interesting. The pads here are really emotive, very spacey. Twirling leads spin and echo, making me feel at ease. That lead at 5'34" has a waddling character to it, and then the lasers appear. I have to tell you, I didn't even see the 9+ minutes go by. Very good track.

Re-entry (by Hyperception)- The Electric Universe quiet lead appears and joins a hurried bass line. This is done with his partner Minja Thomas, for their project called Hyperception. I really liked the filtered lead at that slowly evolves into the break. Another lead comes in a short time later and blends moves very well. Great track!

The Forgotten- I do love the deep bass hits! They make you stand up and say, "What the hell was that?" Stark leads growl as rich pads cruise around this track. The title of this track is well suited, as the melody is truly melancholy. Did he just mix in some steel drums? Sa-weet! The final synth melody is a great compliment to the feel of this track. Just under the surface, but not in your face. This one is my favorite so far. Awesome track!

Cracker- Polly wanna...ah forget it. This bits wasted on you. Skittish leads attack right up to a short break. Juicy synths make my mouth water and this track has plenty of them, especially the Darkpsy scraping lead. You know what I'm talking about? Anyway, this one was pretty good, but not as good as the previous ones.

Hi-Fly (peculiar Rmx)- I don't know if this is someone else's track or one of his own that he remixed. It has spacey pads and nimble leads that keep pace with the energetic bass line. The pace is good and I enjoyed the melodies, but this is pretty standard full-on. The difference here is the way in which it's put together. Good track.

Other Species- Last track. This has been a great ride, but I'm hungry and need to eat. With some metallic banging about, the track rises to a simple melody. A short break thrusts us onto the back of the bass line as somebody talks about other species. This is another well-put together track, with the leads, umm...leading the way. I said I was hungry. Cut me some slack! Pretty good track.

In Summary: I really enjoyed this disc. This is the kind of trance that I would term beautiful, because it paints such a rich tapestry. As I mentioned before the sounds are placed so well that they force your brain to take notice of each of them, but not at the cost of missing others. It seems like he has a sense of how to put a track together that keeps you interested all the way through. That is really well done. I wasn't sure he could improve upon his 2nd album, but he sure did. Great job Dustin! Highly recommended release and one of my favorites for 2007. 8.5/10.

Favorites: 6(!!), 1(!), 3(!), 2,5

Typical commercial full-on IMO.Same bass,same sounds,same samples,same breaks,same climaxes which usually leave you hanging.

Please escape the loop.

i really disagree with this

recently i have heard the albums from Commercial Hippies, AMD, Tristan, latest Space Cat and Space Buddha, Cosmosis etc and none have hit me like the new Mr Peculiar. I find the albums from the aforementioned artists to have the characteristics you described, whereas the Mr P album (while still being an album filled with full-on style tunes) has a genuinely psychedelic vibe. Of course there are breaks and drops and fat rolling basslines, but they are tempered with trippy synths and neuron-shifting motifs. it is fast-paced, dancey stuff but it actually trips me out and has mental substance to it, which I find most 'full-on' releases these days fail to achieve

:)

recently i have heard the albums from Commercial Hippies, AMD, Tristan, latest Space Cat and Space Buddha, Cosmosis etc and none have hit me like the new Mr Peculiar. I find the albums from the aforementioned artists to have the characteristics you described, whereas the Mr P album (while still being an album filled with full-on style tunes) has a genuinely psychedelic vibe.

You are probably right about that but it still remains a full-on album which happens to be better than other look-a-likes without exactly being something genuine,which of course was his first album,Elements.

It's recommended to people enjoying full-on i guess .... but not to people,including me,waiting for something fresh and trippy from Mr P.

Maybe i should stop waiting.

You are probably right about that but it still remains a full-on album which happens to be better than other look-a-likes without exactly being something genuine,which of course was his first album,Elements.

i can see where you're coming from

i haven't heard Elements, so I can't compare the two. You're probably correct in saying the music can be taken further. As it is though, Mr P's one of the few full-on artists I continually listen to and I really like his style...the melodies remind me alot of vintage Infected

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

I have to say that my enjoyment of this album has taken a tumble as the years have gone by. It's good, but doesn't generate the euphoria I felt when I first heard it over and over again in 2007. I suppose artists have gotten better and more skilled at layering sounds and increasing the depth of their tracks these days. I hope he comes out with a new one to see if he still has the magic.

Mdk

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exploring some new music, among it this one. The album is pretty ok I think, I am not in the camp finding it bad or very good,...

....but somewhere in between.

However this artist seems to have better tracks then this album offers, for example this and WTF this video IS trippy :)

Also decent:

EDIT, here even old school sound and a bit darker, which I like (for sure better then newer stuff from him)