abasio

Posted Image

1 Ishq - Sundive (11:47)

2 Papa Legba - Night Surf (7:17)

3 Val(Liam) - Almost Eden (6:25)

4 Androcell - Opium Swirl (6:45)

5 Open System - Atlantis (6:22)

6 Bodhisattva 13:20 - Relearned (9:50)

7 Solar Fields - Air Song (Androcell Remix) (8:12)

8 Bodhisattva 13:20 - Renewal Chant (8:44)

9 Val(Liam) - Perfectly Rational (7:41)

Well I hadn't heard anything about this apart from that androcell had 2 tracks on it & one of those was a remix of Solar Fields' Air Song! After that I had to buy & I did. As usual I was initially disappointed with just about everything on the CD but given a lot of time & repeated listening this has really grown on me & I'd definately recommend this to... well actually I'm not sure who I'd recommend it to. If there is a music double of me somewhere that's who I'd recommend it to!

1. Ishq - Sundive

This track along with other compilation tracks bu Ishq recently have really gotten me excited & impatient for the new ishq albums scheduled for release soon. 11 minutes of pure chilled out bliss here. Very soft beats & spacey atmospheres. A well done drone throughout & vocalish sounds aswell as the hint of strings. Natural wave sounds like a distant ocean on a far away planet.

2. Papa Legba - Night Surf

The wave sounds at the end of ishq's piece lead beautifully into this track. Waves at the onset & birdsong. The sound of the surf continues throughout the whole track as do the sounds of birds but towards the end they are heard mainly behind the chimes. The title sums it up well. Night Surf!

3. (val)Liam - Almost Eden

Slightly more upbeat now, but just as beautiful. A similar alien ocean feel as the last two tracks with added strings being plucked in an almost oriental melody. Like an alien orient! The melody evolves nicely as we progress to hold the interest of all.

4. Androcell - Opium Swirl

Well, what do you expect from Androcell? A masterpiece everytime? No? well you should 'cause he really delivers here. An actually Oriental sounding melody over a delicious baseline/beat. Amazingly the baseline & the beat are almost indistinguishable from each other (at least to my broken down ears). Quite a jump from the beatless tracks before it. The atmosphere is similar but has shifted away from the alien ocean into an alien forest with lots of alien bugs buzzing around towards the end.

5. Open System - Atlantis

More upbeat again & pretty electro (to my ears). A poorly titled track as it sounds nothing like I expected being called atlantis. Nothing watery or mysterious about it. With a heavy sounding beat throughout it's almost trance but trance on horse tranqualisers as someone once said. It's okay as a stand alone track but it really doesn't fit in with the rest of the compilation. I can only guess that it's a friend of the compiler (pete pan) to get on this comp. It would be a lot better I think with softer beats.

6. Bodhisattva 13:20 - Relearned

Well after that little sojourn away from our alien planet we are back there now but it seems like we have crash landed in hostile territory. A very dark menacing atmosphere in the intro & when the beats tease it feels like a mounting panic & even the electro melody sounds like trouble. The ambient synth is a stroke of genious & the whooshes give us that dark outside feel. The pace changes throughout & towards the end you can hear this big dark gong like the summoning of a dark power or a demon or a king!

7. Solar Fields - Air Song (Androcell Remix)

This was the main reason why I bought this CD. I wanted to see what Androcell could do with one of the greatest pieces of music ever made. It is basically everything a remix should be. It sounds very different from the original while still keeping some of the core aspects (in this case the slight melody) to make it recognisable. The beats are bigger, there is more energy & there is a vocal in it. A good remix, incomparable to the original because they are so different. Well done Androcell!

8. Bodhisattva 13:20 - Renewal Chant

Back to the Alien Orient now. A sci fi synth runs down like a dark blade runner. It sounds futuristic & traditional at the same time. The best part about this track is for sure the beat. A cool rolling beat that has loads of chilled out energy. The worst part is the vocal. It completely ruins what could be a very good track. It's awful & I hate it! It detracts completely from the sci fi atmosphere. The guy on the vocal at some points really sounds like he's taken 10 e's & can't speak properly. The worst part of this CD for sure!

9. (val)Liam - Perfectly Rational

Back to a more chilled style to finish of the CD. I'm really looking forward to hearing more from this guy judging from the strength of his 2 tracks here. This one has a nice relaxed natural feel. The use of piano seems to Earth this track giving it a much more terrestrial feel. Like awaking from a dream about alien worlds to a warm Earth autumn morning.

So to sum up this compilation. It's mostly fantastic alienesque chill with just a few tracks (Open System - Atlantis & definately Bodhisattva 13:20 's abysmal attempt with Renewal Chant <- that's going on my worst of the year :angry: ) that really shouldn't have made it on.

Well done Celestial Dragon :)

Bad Show Pete Pan :wank: Mostly good choices mate but in the end you ruined the flow with those 2 gash choices.

Favourites 1,2,3,6,7,9

yeah those 2 tracks definitely ruin the flow of this compilation

why buy a compilation if you're just going to end up with random tracks because the journey was compromised with blatantly out of place songs?

I think Bodhissatva should stick to up-tempo tracks

still the Ishq sounds lovely

• 2 weeks later...

thank you for the kind words abasio :) it reassuring to know someone out there digs these tracks when work runs long and inspiration short...

www.myspace.com/valliam

Do you have any tracks on any other compilations? Or an album (in the works)?

no other tracks on any other compilations (yet) but an album is currently in early phases... it'll likely be a mix of stuff that I've done, from beatless to downtempo beats...

also, there was album a while ago called "early reflections" which is mostly stuff I did when I was trying to settle into making music... I would like to say I've progressed a lot since then but you still might enjoy it... the netlabel it was on doesn't host it anymore but I was lucky enough to find it on archive.org

http://www.archive.org/details/dt006

enjoy :) peace and smiles :)

liam

7. Solar Fields - Air Song (Androcell Remix)

This was the main reason why I bought this CD. I wanted to see what Androcell could do with one of the greatest pieces of music ever made. It is basically everything a remix should be. It sounds very different from the original while still keeping some of the core aspects (in this case the slight melody) to make it recognisable. The beats are bigger, there is more energy & there is a vocal in it. A good remix, incomparable to the original because they are so different. Well done Androcell!

Now i feel like getting this one... Androcell.. is one of my fav artists :D

no other tracks on any other compilations (yet) but an album is currently in early phases... it'll likely be a mix of stuff that I've done, from beatless to downtempo beats...

also, there was album a while ago called "early reflections" which is mostly stuff I did when I was trying to settle into making music... I would like to say I've progressed a lot since then but you still might enjoy it... the netlabel it was on doesn't host it anymore but I was lucky enough to find it on archive.org

http://www.archive.org/details/dt006

enjoy :) peace and smiles :)

liam

cool! I'll download that when I get back from me hols! Do i have to download each track individually??

Good luck with the new album! I'm now on tenterhooks :posford:

FD, get it! That track is great as are most tracks on this comp!! :)