Matenda – Natural Development (Global Phonehead)

damion

Posted Image

I always thought Matenda was a great producer on the one hand, and an underrated producer on the other hand. He is one of the few artists whose music I can always go back to, and find I know every single damn note (the other artists who spring to mind are Neil Young, Johnny Marr's guitarwork with The Smiths, and most of The Stone Roses.)

From the opener Speculator, with its effortlessly gliding layers and orgasmic breakdown, you know you’re in for a bit of a treat. Plain Vanilla shamelessly resurrects warm Balearic vibes – think Chicane with up-to-date production, all the while sounding as though you’re driving along some beachside highway with an implausibly stunning bird sitting in the passenger seat.

The title track is an utter classic – it’s laconic, low-set stuff that coaxes melodies out of nowhere. Perspectives runs deeper, a subtle track that is the sort of thing that we used to say would hold a dancefloor’s attention nicely. Sounds Around is a competent stab at pumping vocal amylectro, and the out-and-out lysergic Loopus funk of Electronegative goes a hell of a long way.

Equilibrium and Invisible Garbage are more tribal takes; the latter works better than the busy and cluttered former, though neither are essential. Best bet is to skip on to the blissful jazzy house of Epsilon, or better still the gloriously lamenting closing track Orphean: sounding like everything wrong in the world being put simultaneously right, it’s a gorgeous piece of music your mum will love.

What makes Matenda so special, as I have said before, is the apparent ease with which he translates honest, raw emotion into music. Listening here, there’s the full range: wonder, love, amazement, happiness, expansion, and a touch of a reflective, almost folorn sadness. It really is that good. In an age where we’re bombarded with presets, big breakdowns, and festival-live performances with smelly-looking guitarists, it’s about time we heard something that’s just bloody honest with itself.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeaah, that's cool ... back from holiday and a new Matenda is out!

"A combination of Matenda's ordinary progressive psy stuff and his chilling tunes", I read somewhere. Judging from the samples it apparently is. I was looking forward to this one already since the beginning of the year! As a potential candidate for this year's top ten!

Damn, I'm definitely going to get this one as soon as I have money again...

Nexus - do you feel the same way about "Mediterran" or have you not heard that one?

Haven't heard that one, sorry.

p.s. is it good? If it's at least as good as this one I'll probably get it, it's just really relaxing :)

"Mediterran" is in my top 10 psy-downtempo albums ever I would say - I love most every track... I can't recommend it highly enough...

His first chill release "Chilling Matenda" is good too, but I don't like it as much as Mediterran...

With Mediterran I read some people saying it wasn't really psychedelic or whatever but I thought it was, just in a different way - hopefully the new one is too...

"Mediterran" is in my top 10 psy-downtempo albums ever I would say - I love most every track... I can't recommend it highly enough...

His first chill release "Chilling Matenda" is good too, but I don't like it as much as Mediterran...

With Mediterran I read some people saying it wasn't really psychedelic or whatever but I thought it was, just in a different way - hopefully the new one is too...

Ok are you sure we are talking about the same Matenda here? :) I am guessing Chilling Matenda is his ambient project and Matenda is prog. I've never heard the chilling one but have 2 of the prog ones and in my opinion Natural Development is much better than Tunnel Vision.

if i am informed correctly i think its 2 different bands and or persons.

could be wrong do ...

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yesss...

I got it now, today, finally (first salary :) ) ... and it's totally awesome! I'm tucking fired but can not go to sleep until I had at least put it in the CD player and listened a bit ... Matenda, MATENDA, man, awesome :)

Perspectives is a totally awesome song!

So far I think it's even the best one of the album, but I'm not fully through it yet...

I sort of see this as an uncut diamont... Not many details produced around the breaks ore build ups, and i don't feel the percussion like in most other proggy trance... But still this is a BEAUTIFUL album... soft, dreamy melodies building up from everywhere, the flow is just so catchy in this album, everything fits together SOO nicely... Its just so easy to listen to, you gotta love this!

Tracks 5 and 7 Matenda co-wrote with Alex Joon, he should really dump that guy. Imho terrible beats and track 7 is unlistenable. Other than that the album is great, so I am eager to see what Matenda comes up with next (on his own please :) ).

Hi to all,

Some answers to all. Denis Matenda has two projects, the first one is "Matenda" wich is more up-tempo and Chilling Matenda wich is more down-tempo. Chilling Matenda have released two albums, "Chilling Matenda and Mediteran", and Matenda have released three albums "Energy Loader, Tunnel Vision and the latest Natural Development". Every artist have to develop, and with the album "Natural development" Denis shows another side of his music. Alex Joon has been a co-producer from beginning and involved in several track´s with "Matenda" such as "Split Personality, You can run but not hide" etc. To have a co-producer is a good way to make diffrent productions, and also a way to develop your own way to make music.

Regards

Global Phonehead Records

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all,

Some answers to all. Denis Matenda has two projects, the first one is "Matenda" wich is more up-tempo and Chilling Matenda wich is more down-tempo. Chilling Matenda have released two albums, "Chilling Matenda and Mediteran", and Matenda have released three albums "Energy Loader, Tunnel Vision and the latest Natural Development". Every artist have to develop, and with the album "Natural development" Denis shows another side of his music. Alex Joon has been a co-producer from beginning and involved in several track´s with "Matenda" such as "Split Personality, You can run but not hide" etc. To have a co-producer is a good way to make diffrent productions, and also a way to develop your own way to make music.

Regards

Global Phonehead Records

Ah, I see ... Alex Joon = Alex Jave, huh? Because on Energy loader it says for some tracks "produced by Matenda and Alex Jave"...

And you, global phonehead ... aren't you Matenda himself? It's his own label as far as I know or isn't it?

Gosh, this Natural Development is a totally beautiful album! I've listened to it maybe four times now ... it's for the first time ever that I listen to an album more than four times in one month. I really, really like it! Many beautiful sounds on it, hardly any moments that I don't like - except track 7, that one doesn't really belong on the album somehow I think. Still, my favourite album of 2007 so far, I doubt that I'll come across anything better this year :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RTP,

Yes, It´s me Denis Matenda who is running Global Phonehead Records. I am use to write Global Phonhead becouse I get confused in the role of running the label and being the producer at the same time. I can see in this forum that you are a real fan of my music, wich I really appreciate, and great that you like the new album.

;)

• 5 months later...

Best morning trance album of last year IMO, surpasses even Vibrasphere´s latest effort (which I also liked a lot). Beautiful, emotional, relaxing melodies that you can just float away to.... Gorgeous. Some more upbeat, slightly funkier stuff with a nice housey/loungey feel to it on here as well which I also like, although the album is at its best when those morning melodies are shining through.

Favourites: 1, 2 (!), 4, 9 (!!!), 10

8/10

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

If we count all the album released by Denis Matenda under his projects Matenda & Chilling Matenda, Natural Development is his fifth album.

This new opus keeps going with the summer sunny sounds & cloudy, floating harmonies which were the trademarks of previous album Mediteran.

Nevertheless inside Natural Development, the production doesn't only focus on dowmtempo lounge sounds, actually Matenda has built a cross over album which gathers his two musical sides : Morning progressive & Chill/Down-Tempo.

There's another specificity with this new album, Matenda took also the opportunity to bring us a new facet of his musical personality with the extension to new musical influences such as Club-House (through Sounds Around), Dream music (considering Orphan as a wink to Robert Miles), Tribal (Equilibrium), Electro or Club ( both in Electronegative).

Equilibrium is another track which is noticeable; effectively, it brings more rhythmical energy. So, in a way it could be the tune's structure that reminds the most the ambience from the "Chilling Matenda" album.

Plain Vanilla has drew my attention thanks to its 'overwhelming rain' melody style, there's something fascinating here. It's like after a long period of heatwave, when the storm , at least, occurs; you enjoy so much listening to water drops smashing on the ground. With Plain Vanilla, it's the same : it's raining but you were expecting it & are happy with it.

Within Perspectives, you're immersed into a marathoner's groove, the feeling which outcomes is special like a meticulous & unlimited escape straight forward. Like i explain previously, it's not an act made in a hurry, it seems the regularity of this escape is the key for not being located & caught. Let's say Perspectives is the escape of your life...

Invisible Garbage ranges through its rhythmic made of claps, in the clubby tracks influenced on the cd. More exactly, i should talk about Club-Housey orientation. Nevertheless i prefer Sounds Around in this category, due to the heavy funky bassline integration mixed with nevrotic, robotic bleeps or synths. Indeed, this one is musically much more complex incorporating also a disco-electro touch.

Epsilon drives into the lounge Balearic area , with the acoustic guitar & piano melodies which seems to be in a game where they must answer each other. The tune gets very floating for the break , & then let's reveal the unexpected more dancefloor side of the tune with a jazzy feeling via the piano's theme .

While listening to some tunes from this album (Speculator, Natural Developement for example), not to say all :) , you'll be gained by the strange impress of being lost : i mean a deep production sweat as silk & groovy catchy as a whirlwind. Matenda has succeeded here, in breaking the dividing wall for establishing his sounsdacpe in a new territory, surfing on the border-lines of Morning Progressive & Sunny Down-Tempo.

climaxes:2,9

Favorites:1,3,4,7,8

Recommended

• 1 month later...