7. Frontier (6:11)

8. A Step In The Dark (2:13)

9. Flight To Eternity (5:05)

10. Moment Of Truth (2:46)

11. Enigma (5:43)

12. Second Wave (2:47)

13. Sunset At Dawn (6:03)

14. Final Journey (6:46)

It's always fun to find an old CD, and even more fun when it is from a label you actually know releases good material... it's a bit sad though that this one did not succeed in captivating me. It's all plain trance music, with a few bits of ambient thrown in here and there. Half of it is pretty much just unfinished ideas, IMO, there's a few tracks that sound real good but fades out only after less than 3 minutes. This is very annoying. There's lots of tracks which could've been left out and thusly left room for some of the more interesting tracks to expand with a few minutes.

The 3 first tracks give us a real good start. The intro (Key) is a bit of an instrumental synth-pop inspired thing which is followed by Spacial that picks up some pace, a repetitive melody loop with ambience circulating around it, not bad at all. Pacific Sunrise is pretty damn good. A long trance track which actually seem to be the only track with any real thought put into it. Nice long ambient intro followed at about 2 minutes into the song by a beat and a galloping baseline, later on a nice bleepy melody sequence is added and it works well with the surrounding soundscape. The latter half contains several breaks and a build up to an extatic climax with a different more emphatic version of the bleepy melody. Very nice work, IMO.

Then something happens... and it all turns to the worse.

Memory In Paradise is a slightly cheesy ambient tune so I don't mind it being less than 3 minutes, but Labyrinth is actually interesting... and should've been much longer!! Sporting a muffled shifty baseline, much like the Juno Reactors of '93, accompanied by nice ambience and a slowmoving beat makes this tune real dreamy.

Operating Through Time is energetic to say the least, fast tempo and swirling melodylines in a very atmospheric setting. Actually quite good but once again, a bit short so you never manage to get into the track all that well. Frontier is a slowmoving piece with nagging high pitched synthstabbing repeated into infinity, not all that fun.

A Step In The Dark sounds like a beginning to a track, an ambient interlude. Though I do not see it's purpose, and it's not especially good either. Flight To Eternity is truly forgetable, a cheesy ambient trance track, and I happily push next on the CD-player.

Moment Of Truth, another interlude... a bit better this time... it's nice and all but it goes pretty much nowhere. Enigma is another pretty good fast paced track, very dreamy synthlines throughout... real good atmosphere here. Enigma and Second Wave is mixed together for some reason, while Enigma was dreamy and atmospheric Second Wave is much more of an aggresive track... to me Second Wave does nothing as it does not develop into a full scale track and thusly it becomes yet another forgetable track.

The two last tracks (Sunset At Dawn & Final Journey) are more dreamtrance, pretty nice, though nothing all too special.

I like this album very, because this is the (classic) trance which I today really miss.

The only thing is, it was first released on the wrong Label.

It would be right from the start released on MFS, not later.

I have the limited 2CD release. :posford:

• 1 year later...

I got the release from PSY-Harmonics http://www.discogs.com/Mystic-Force-Frontier/release/43026

And Kai, the cover-art from PSY-Harmonics is SO much better then your MFS edition :P

Btw, why is it more rightfully released on MFS, are they more classic trance oriented then what PSY are?

I see a lot of Paul Van Dyk on their list ..

About the music: I don't really know the music yet, still havent gotten around to listen to it :)

• 1 year later...

I got the release from PSY-Harmonics http://www.discogs.com/Mystic-Force-Frontier/release/43026

And Kai, the cover-art from PSY-Harmonics is SO much better then your MFS edition :P

Btw, why is it more rightfully released on MFS, are they more classic trance oriented then what PSY are?

I see a lot of Paul Van Dyk on their list ..

About the music: I don't really know the music yet, still havent gotten around to listen to it :)

There you go