What spekaers do you have/use?

Muerto

Charlie, do you run you audio system through a separtate cord from the central power board?

(I'm drunk, couldn;t remember how to say it properly, but hope you get what I mean :))

No, I briefly considered setting up and installing a seperate ring system with the exclusive purpose of powering the hi-fi from but determined it would cost a lot of money, require a lot of redecorating and seeing as I don't own the home where I live (I rent) it would prove unwise. Pity, as it's supposed to improve sound quality quite dramatically.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I briefly considered setting up and installing a seperate ring system with the exclusive purpose of powering the hi-fi from but determined it would cost a lot of money, require a lot of redecorating and seeing as I don't own the home where I live (I rent) it would prove unwise. Pity, as it's supposed to improve sound quality quite dramatically.

Ok :)

I think I have an option to run the stereo from a separate ring at home, gotta check it out

dont forget about cables. that is very very important:) if u want clear signal ,cable must be hi quality, and plug ins

I'm not 100% convinced that's the case. There are two schools of thought in the audiophile circles.

One says yes the cables make a difference and the other thinks quite opposite.

I'm not 100% convinced that's the case. There are two schools of thought in the audiophile circles.

One says yes the cables make a difference and the other thinks quite opposite.

cable does make a difference..

its very simple:

low current signals, like the ones from your pc to your amp, dont need to be in shit hi quality, couse it doesnt drain much current, meaning the resistance in the cable dont have much to say. although, it is good to have a grounded signal cable if you got interference.

a high current cable, like the one from your amp to your speakers, can give better results if it is of a larger diameter, hence, is off a lower resistance than a smaller one.

U=R*I

where U is the Voltage, R is the resistance and I is the current.

since U=R*I;

R=U/I

and

I=U/R

R is then the resistance in your cable, and also in your speaker, if your speaker is 8Ohm(Resistance), and your cable is long and thin, making it also 8Ohm, you will get a 50% effect to the speaker, couse both the speaker and the cable is draining as much current.

(note: this is not 100% true, since a soundsignal is a alternating current, and not a direct current (battery, constant 12V for example.))

U is the Voltage from your amp, a US outlet is 115V, a Euro outlet is 230V, depending on the power of your system, a signal can vary from some Volts to hundreds..

I is the Current, simple said, its the number of electrons flowing thru the system in 1 second.

so as a thumbrule:

for a signal cable, diameter is not so important, grounding and shielding is

for a speaker cable, diameter is somehow important, specially if you got long cables or a powerful speaker, grounding and shileding is not so important, since its of a higher Voltage, noise and interference is not hearable if you play it loud.

but if you are one of them uberhifi geeks, go buy the largest cable you can find :P

cable does make a difference..

its very simple:

low current signals, like the ones from your pc to your amp, dont need to be in shit hi quality, couse it doesnt drain much current, meaning the resistance in the cable dont have much to say. although, it is good to have a grounded signal cable if you got interference.

a high current cable, like the one from your amp to your speakers, can give better results if it is of a larger diameter, hence, is off a lower resistance than a smaller one.

U=R*I

where U is the Voltage, R is the resistance and I is the current.

since U=R*I;

R=U/I

and

I=U/R

R is then the resistance in your cable, and also in your speaker, if your speaker is 8Ohm(Resistance), and your cable is long and thin, making it also 8Ohm, you will get a 50% effect to the speaker, couse both the speaker and the cable is draining as much current.

(note: this is not 100% true, since a soundsignal is a alternating current, and not a direct current (battery, constant 12V for example.))

U is the Voltage from your amp, a US outlet is 115V, a Euro outlet is 230V, depending on the power of your system, a signal can vary from some Volts to hundreds..

I is the Current, simple said, its the number of electrons flowing thru the system in 1 second.

so as a thumbrule:

for a signal cable, diameter is not so important, grounding and shielding is

for a speaker cable, diameter is somehow important, specially if you got long cables or a powerful speaker, grounding and shileding is not so important, since its of a higher Voltage, noise and interference is not hearable if you play it loud.

but if you are one of them uberhifi geeks, go buy the largest cable you can find :P

As I said I am well aware of both schools of thought and you might have a valid point. I am not 100% convinced as there are some other opinions from the industry that don't think the cable is such a big factor when it comes to the actual sound output....

There has been a lot of controversy over this very subject in audio circles over the years and a lot of drama too.

Here are just some examples of opinions:

click for the article

another one.