DJ equipment for pc

I know this is considered sacrilegious by some but I'm looking for dj equipment to go with my pc.

What I'd really like is some software and sound card for my pc and some hardware that resembles 2x 1210 or DJ cd-players.

Has that been invented yet? I mean I really like to use 1210s or DJ cd-players but I can't be arsed anymore to bring all my stuff. It's too much damn work considering the close to nothing I'm being paid for playing.

If my hard ware suggestion has not been invented what's some good pc equipment that will allow me to use my pc as a dj tool?

I also need to buy a soundcard for my pc. My pc is 2 years old but wat top notch at the time. I expect it will still run with the latest equipment.

Hope this is enough to instigate some help :)

Appreciate any advice thanks ! :posford:

It's not money that's the issue. It's that it's too much trouble to travel with two cd players plus mixer plus a bunch of cds to a party where I'm paid very little and can only play more regular non-psy music.

So I'd rather just have a small package, preferably a pc and some extra hardware that would do it for 2 cds and a mixer.

Someone has got to have invented that no :huh:

The Behringer BCD 3000

The M-Audio Torq Xponent

The Numark Total Control

The Vestax VCI-100

The Torq Xponent is best, but most expensive too. Try out the Behringer, I have heard good things about them. Both have built-in soundcards!

The M-Audio solution looks really interesting. Affordable too if it's serious. :rolleyes:

Anyone has experience with it?

I can pay the necessary dough once but then it has to function as good dj equipment.

Of course I don't expect tons of dj chaos-pad etc options but it should be semi-heavy duty equipment.

The M-Audio solution lives up to these requirements :unsure:

The M-Audio solution looks really interesting. Affordable too if it's serious. :rolleyes:

Anyone has experience with it?

I can pay the necessary dough once but then it has to function as good dj equipment.

Of course I don't expect tons of dj chaos-pad etc options but it should be semi-heavy duty equipment.

The M-Audio solution lives up to these requirements :unsure:

Nah, I doubt that anybody here or elsewhere will have any experience with it as it has just been released. I did a lot of research into it a while a ago and I trust that the Xponent overall is the most reliable product.

Well, thanks very much for your help anyway !! -_-

I found a link to it here. Looks interesting but cannot see what functions it has.

Apparently there's also some links on youtube.

I have to think about it. :drama:

Don't wanna spend my money just :wank:

simple.

get twin cd players

the pioneer cmx3000 work very well $700

Posted Image

and get a good small mixer

vestax pmc280 $500

this one I have currently and only high end +$1500 Rane, Pioneer, Allen & Heath are barely better

Posted Image

need any more than that?

USA prices though

Thanks for the advice!

The reason I'm looking into a pc solution is due to practicality though. A pc and hardware I can fit in one bag.

Cd players and mixers + a bag of cds often requires a taxi and with the money I'm paid for playing I often don't find it worth the hassle. Besides when I am paid I can't spin psychedelia that much. Quality music I like, yes, but not music where it's essential to have lots of options.

On the other hand, I would like the pc solution to enable me also to spin trance.

How good is pc equipment at that?

Do I need to stick to the dj players? I seem to recall Nemo said he spinned from a pc and was quite happy :huh:

Anyway, thanks again for your advice. I will consider it. <_<

Well, thanks very much for your help anyway !! -_-

I found a link to it here. Looks interesting but cannot see what functions it has.

Apparently there's also some links on youtube.

I have to think about it. :drama:

Don't wanna spend my money just :wank:

Well, go for the Behringer then! It is just US $199! A bargain to start out with...

I bought a Behringer mixer once. The quality was horrible - noisy like ... unbelievable. I checked with the store and they said, yeah, that's a problem with behringer. :mellow:

And googling the behringer I also saw some say that it was noisy.

I am going to the states in two weeks. Guess I have to look into the m-audio solution. It's not out in Denmark yet ... :pissed:

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully i'm not too late on this one....

I would check this route out.... I use...

-Virtual DJ so you don't have to spend all of your time beat matching and trying to find compatible songs to mix... there is also an extremely wicked waveform display so that you know when the next beat is ready to drop. It's $299.00. I hate to say it but crack it first to see if it's really what you want... and i'm sure it will be... I prefer it over Traktor because of the waveform display.

-Gigaport AG USB Soundcard (8 sets of outs)... it's about $115

-Numark DXM 09 3 channel mixer with all sorts of fun effects $300-ish

-Alesis MultiMix 8 for recording stuff... the USB connection is extremely nice and it's only about $130

-Korg Kaos Pad 3 for really cool transitions and effects $422-ish

-MicroKorg, because it's just an amazing synth $422-ish

-a 500 gig external HD $120.00

-HP something or other laptop with a gig of ram and dual core processors with nothing but samples and music on it. $1100.00

-some nice Bose cans. I ended up buying two pairs and modified them so that both sets of speakers fit snugly in one pair of cans so that I can use one for monitors and the other to listen to my incoming tracks. Cost me $200, I can play all the way through the night and not wake the neighbors, and they are portable.

-A mouse. cheap.

It's pretty much the most portable setup I could think of with a kick. I can fit it all into one gig bag and I even carry it onto planes when I go dick around internationally.

Guest The Journey Man Project

The M-Audio Torq Xponent

I might get this with a laptop instead of proper dj gear... easier to travel and use....

• 4 weeks later...

Another possibility is the Behringer BCD2000 or BCD3000. It's one of those DJ midi controllers that has basically all the controlls of 2 dj decks and a mixer. I just bought a BCD2000 off ebay for $200 Australian. It's really cheap so for the price I don't think you can go wrong! Check it out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CMX 3000 is great and that Vestax controler looks good but any better MIDI controller will do..

Actually Im searching for good dj program too.. Cause I had enough of Virtual dj, Traktor.. They ruined all my mixes.. I sold my turntables since I dont have place for them nor for the cd players.. I have external mixer but I really want some decent program that can be MIDI controled. the best I found is MixVibes but altough I have configuration file for controling the program with my midi I cant get it working.. MixVibes is as real as it gets, but still I cant control it, so what is the next best option..

And yeah, that virtual dj 4 is far worse comparing to virtual dj 3 in matters of internal mixing.. I want program that does the pitch shift with no flicking and that can be midi controled.

• 2 weeks later...

My latest stash, behold, the great Deckadance, dj mix software that supports VST and MIDI implementation..

dj mix software is bugging me all the time.. Oh man when I remember all the troubles with traktor, virtual dj, old mixvibes and such.. Finally I stumled upon perfect dj revolutionary program but I can get output on my headphones.. I have two souncards.. ESI Julia an SB Live.. I planned to use them both as with other dj software but this program supports only asio drivers so im restricted to only one card, either julia or sb live.. I have 4 outputs on julia 1 and 2 I use for main output and other two are for synth input normaly.. Big banana plugs but I can turn it into chinch with switching the card.. I cant get output on 3rd and 4th output of julia and it would be stupid to plug headphone banana jack and leave other empty.. Anyways maybe I can output main mix on 1st and headphones on 2nd exit of the card but would it make the sound mono? Thats idea I got while writing so I should check it out but maybe someone has some good recommendation?

Posted Image

I haven't tried it, but Decadance seems to be the best specialized DJ software since it at least have VST support and a sampler.

Personally I stick with Ableton since it just gives so much more possibilities than the traditional DJ software can do.

There is no specialized DJ software that gives you unlimited number of tracks and loops triggered in sync and you can do a lot of creative stuff with for example effect racks and dummy clips.

If you simply like to emulate a pair of CDJ's, dedicated DJ controllers and software might be a good idea since they have a familiar layout, otherwise you really need more knobs and buttons.

I would for sure stay away from using the BCD for audio output but I do have a BCR2000 as controller for Ableton and much as I dislike Behringer I must say that it's simply an awesome product.

Really well thought out and decent quality, especially considering the ridiculously low price.

If you override the function buttons you'll have 26 buttons and 32 rotary encoders without any switching so you will not run out of controllers easily. Unfortunately for my needs it's still 6 buttons too less so I have to make use of two groups for the top row on encoders.

On top of that I use a keypad to be able to browse, load, cue, play, loop tracks and trigger loops.

If your laptop has a PCMCIA port the Echo Indigo DJ is really good value for a soundcard....cheap, good sound, great drivers and small and practical.

Interesting Caban, since I planed to open ableton topic and obviously state some of my views that are not opposed to yours so u should go and read that also..

Here I just want to encourage you with that Deckadance cause it is the best program I ever used for djing in my life. It supports not only vst and sampler but also midi imports of patterns, phrases and such.. It also supports light show scanners to be in sync with the mix in the club witch is by far the best thing I have ever seen but surely I aint gona use that option at home..

Another great thing that u might be interested in is that supports your BCD2000 but somehow it doesnt support my Bitstream 3X which is way better than yours.. But I think its cause not so many guys has its, so I sent them mail to implement that in another version.. Another weird thing is that u can control it with MII nintendo wireless joystick?! and a xone:3D mixer(if u are blessed to have one).. Anyways for my other views read live topic..

Interesting Caban, since I planed to open ableton topic and obviously state some of my views that are not opposed to yours so u should go and read that also..

Here I just want to encourage you with that Deckadance cause it is the best program I ever used for djing in my life. It supports not only vst and sampler but also midi imports of patterns, phrases and such.. It also supports light show scanners to be in sync with the mix in the club witch is by far the best thing I have ever seen but surely I aint gona use that option at home..

Another great thing that u might be interested in is that supports your BCD2000 but somehow it doesnt support my Bitstream 3X which is way better than yours.. But I think its cause not so many guys has its, so I sent them mail to implement that in another version.. Another weird thing is that u can control it with MII nintendo wireless joystick?! and a xone:3D mixer(if u are blessed to have one).. Anyways for my other views read live topic..

I do think Decadence looks very good feature wise, but I still would not switch from Live.

Live can do everything that decadence can and there is some things like effect racks I would find it hard to be without.

Also with the mouseless control I hardly use the GUI when I play, otherwise decadance could maybe make sense due to it's more specialized interface.

And I don't use the BCD2000....for my liking it would be too limiting.

I use the BCR2000. I also looked at the Bitstream, Novation ReMote's and the UC33-e, but for me the layout on neither would really work without switching presets. The LED's around the knobs on the BCR is great for DJ use.

If nothing else it's a great first controller to get to figure out what your needs are. It can take a while to find exactly what you like to include in your setup and for around €129 you get one of the most flexible controllers you can find apart from modular or DIY.

I do think Decadence looks very good feature wise, but I still would not switch from Live.

Live can do everything that decadence can and there is some things like effect racks I would find it hard to be without.

Also with the mouseless control I hardly use the GUI when I play, otherwise decadance could maybe make sense due to it's more specialized interface.

And I don't use the BCD2000....for my liking it would be too limiting.

I use the BCR2000. I also looked at the Bitstream, Novation ReMote's and the UC33-e, but for me the layout on neither would really work without switching presets. The LED's around the knobs on the BCR is great for DJ use.

If nothing else it's a great first controller to get to figure out what your needs are. It can take a while to find exactly what you like to include in your setup and for around €129 you get one of the most flexible controllers you can find apart from modular or DIY.

Yeah I was speaking about bcr not bcd.. Have to watch out with that letters..

Anyway that bcr was controller of choice.. Until I found bitstream.. Its also good for djing, you get crossfader with it..

Anyway about live.. As I said live cant get my vsts to work, deckadance can..

Im really interested in that live but its not working for me, only vst fx.. And it cant play midi patterns only wav loops