Psynews will (hopefully) be more reliable soon

mars

Why is everyone so freaked about ads?

I have a perfect ability to block out all ads whatsoever, I dont notice anything I dont wanna notice. And if they pay by click-through rates, we could have a big psynew click-in where everyone clicks the addds like crazy once a month to raise some money?

Damn straight. I recently gave in and put ads up all over my site, figuring that anyone that really cared to block them would (and they'd be welcome to). These days, if you see ANY advertisements on the 'net it's really your own damn fault ;) Firefox + Adblock = hassle-free browsing!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yay its back. I didn't realize how addicted I was to the pie :lol:

regarding donations. In exchange for all the good times and great recommendations for countless albums (I have bought over a dozen albums purely on a psynews review) I wouldn't mind making a contribution to keep ads far away. sign me up! :clapping:

I recently gave in and put ads up all over my site, figuring that anyone that really cared to block them would (and they'd be welcome to).

Defeats the point doesn't it. If everyone was blocking advertising, there would be no market for banners. How do you think Google got big? Donations?

Defeats the point doesn't it. If everyone was blocking advertising, there would be no market for banners. How do you think Google got big? Donations?

Nah we don't need psynews to become "big". I think mars just needs the donations for the hosting costs, if I'm correct?

Nah we don't need psynews to become "big". I think mars just needs the donations for the hosting costs, if I'm correct?

Yes. But saying that we should have banners and then telling us we should block them defeats the point. I take it that Psynews gets a LOT of traffic, with a lot being from guests. They're far more likely to click a banner than to donate money.

How much does hosting cost?

How much would banners cover?

I still think fundraising is a good idea, given that we don't grant anyone "special" treatment because they contributed. I'm sure we can work around those issues.

Everyone could donate €5 or €10 or €15 depending on their wallets. That should keep us going for a while, right?

Hosting can be very cheap these days; $10 a month gets me about 250 GB of space and 2 TB of bandwidth.

Banner advertising using Google AdSense would easily cover that much... I'm not sure what the traffic is like here on Psynews, but I suspect a few months of text ads might even be able to fund a new Suntrip CD release :)

Yes. But saying that we should have banners and then telling us we should block them defeats the point. I take it that Psynews gets a LOT of traffic, with a lot being from guests. They're far more likely to click a banner than to donate money.

How much does hosting cost?

How much would banners cover?

I still think fundraising is a good idea, given that we don't grant anyone "special" treatment because they contributed. I'm sure we can work around those issues.

Everyone could donate €5 or €10 or €15 depending on their wallets. That should keep us going for a while, right?

I doubt psynews maintenance will be expensive. I'm expecting something like Basilisk said, between 10 EUR and 50 EUR per month.

I'd rather not have banners and donate.

sorry moni, but for 50e per month you could have ten psynews running :P

hosting is very cheap, it shouldnt be a problem if few dozens of members donate some pennies :D btw, idea about psynews is in my opinion 1000 times better than idea about donation, just put up those shirts at cafe press or other service like that or sell them at suntrip :)

I know, I'll try to make this as fast as possible, but you know how it is with computers.

I'm priviledging timezones from GMT to the middle east because it's where most trancers are, and I'm sorry americans and aussies will have to wait till it's online again.