Psynews will (hopefully) be more reliable soon

mars

Hi

Welcome back after TWELVE ****ing days of downtime !!!!!!!!!!

A nasty DSL modem issue this time. The power supply was screwed up, which I couldn't believe at first, until it was tested -deficient-. Then it took one week to order and receive a new dc adaptor.

For once it wasn't the server...

While everyone was trying to spend his/her nights elsewhere than on these boards, I called my friend Manu, the owner of http://www.psysurfeur.com/ and he agreed to share his dedicated server with us. Thanks to him.

It means 2 things :

- Psynews will be more reliable and will have a bigger bandwidth :)

- We may be forced to put some ad (ouch) somewhere to cover the costs. Not sure yet.

There are more details to discuss and we'll study that in detail when Manu is back from the Full Moon festival.

Anyway I'll try to make the migration in August, so you can expect one of downtime then, but i'll warn about that here.

mars + the mods team

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Welcome back after TWELVE ****ing days of downtime !!!!!!!!!!

A nasty DSL modem issue this time. The power supply was screwed up, which I couldn't believe at first, until it was tested -deficient-. Then it took one week to order and receive a new dc adaptor.

For once it wasn't the server...

While everyone was trying to spend his/her nights elsewhere than on these boards, I called my friend Manu, the owner of http://www.psysurfeur.com/ and he agreed to share his dedicated server with us. Thanks to him.

It means 2 things :

- Psynews will be more reliable and will have a bigger bandwidth :)

- We may be forced to put some ad (ouch) somewhere to cover the costs. Not sure yet.

There are more details to discuss and we'll study that in detail when Manu is back from the Full Moon festival.

Anyway I'll try to make the migration in August, so you can expect one of downtime then, but i'll warn about that here.

mars + the mods team

Glad to see it back.

1) Web hosting is what we're gonna do. Psysurfeur machine is a dedicated server hoted by Infomaniak.

2) The current DSL line is minimum 6Mbps down / 1Mbps up which is faaaar enough. Psynews selfhosting started with a 512kbps modem in 2000.

Yes, a fundraising is a good idea but I wouldn't like to see situations in which we would hesitate to take action against some donator...you know how it is.

Yes, a fundraising is a good idea but I wouldn't like to see situations in which we would hesitate to take action against some donator...you know how it is.

True. That would cause some potential problems. But I'm sure we could work out a way around it. Let's have a brainstorm session soon.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeey welcome f********ing baaaack!!! :posford: :posford: :posford:

And :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Mars :)

Woah, alot happened these long days. I actually got a job :D Earning a living rite now, soon enough gonna buy my studio wohoo. hehe. Welcome back everybody!!

I smell penis enlargement pills somewhere :lol:

Ed: Btw, is that a new psynews icon I see in my favs? Awesome

That's great news.

How about we started a Psynews Fund Raiser to avoid the banners?

I'm sure most people would chip in a buck or two... Right!?

Well, first let's find out what amount per month we are talking about, and then let's decide how we pay.

Guest antic

+1 for the idea of donations

I guess most of us can resign from a CD / smokes / booze / drugs to support this place once in a while?

I know I would.

+1 for the idea of donations

I guess most of us can resign from a CD / smokes / booze / drugs to support this place once in a while?

I know I would.

Well, the only thing we have to make sure of is that we don't miss 1 month of payment.

So my proposal is to to donate according to our pockets.

And Mars should administrate that money, and announce us at least 2-3 months before the balance come to 0, so we can donate again.

If we can't pay for 1 month, then psynews goes down. So the fund raising should make sure that we can pay the hosting for let's say... 1 year in advance. Or 6 months.

I remember that at psy-forum.co.uk they organised a big party, and the money gathered were used for the costs of the website. But it's impossible to do the same at psynews. The travelling time & costs would kill hopes for many of us. :P

Nice to see Psynews up and running again. I'm definitely in for the donation idea, just give me a paypal address etc to send my money.

please send to:

reger@regerwantssomemoney.com

thank you!

:D

im actually joking :P

Why is everyone so freaked about ads?

I have a perfect ability to block out all ads whatsoever, I dont notice anything I dont wanna notice. And if they pay by click-through rates, we could have a big psynew click-in where everyone clicks the addds like crazy once a month to raise some money?

Even the poorest member can click!! I am for pr0n ads, then I would even look at them once in a while.