1. Red Robin (9:03)

2. Ak Is Burning (9:20)

3. Circade (8:00)

4. B.H.D. (6:53)

5. Flock (10:09)

6. Blew (7:13)

7. Seven Seas (9:38)

8. Forward (8:14)

The Kiwi Strom brothers who are better known as Antix are back after 2 excellent artist albums and one Remixes album that was personally a bit of a let down. Obviously the expectations were very high and considering the fact that Antix changed their style every album I’m sure had a lot to expect. “Wanderers” presents us a bit more minimal and gloomy side of Antix, much like the debut album but perhaps a tad deeper and on a more subtle side. As the album starts the first thing that you’ll notice is that the brothers indeed re-invented their sound. Their trademark complex percussion sound is still there but it sounds much more minimal a bit like the recent D-Nox & Beckers album but I think they’ve done a much better job in creating complex grooves with very few sounds. The first 2 tunes are a clear example of the new Antix sound and if you liked their previous output you’ll feel home here. Circade, the 3rd time goes even deeper with lots of fun sounds in the lower frequencies, the stuff that shakes festivals in the afternoons. BHD (4) takes us into more Electro’ish realm and for some reason it didn’t really work for me.

Flock (5) is in the same vein and it's a little too long and also the melodies sound a bit too cheesy for my taste. Blew (6) was previously released and it has the more familiar Antix sound and although I wasn’t much impressed with that track before it still delivers and sets the mood for the last part of the album. Seven Seas (7) is another Electro’ish tune that for some reason reminds me of Beat Bizarre circa Lewd days. Probably it’s the vocal samples in the back. The album finishes with Forward and it has that big Antix reminiscent sound that I learned to love in their previous album. Although it provides a very decent closure to the album, for some reason I expected something in the lines of the Fjord track from the previous album.

Conclusion: Although my huge respect and appreciation for the Antix boys for their previous artist albums and countless compilation appearances I can’t deny the somewhat empty feeling that I’ve had during not a small part of this album. It clearly lacks the coherence and story telling the previous ones had. By no means it’s not a bad album and even not an average one. Antix can do and did much better and the standards that were set previously were probably unbearable. Still, a few excellent tunes and a bunch of average ones. Fair deal to me.

Favorite tracks:1!!, 2!!, 3!!, 8!

Score: 7.5/10

@ discogs says track #4 was co-produced with Dave Young, the same guys who was riped off lately and previously produced music under the name of Chi-A.D. — is this true?

UPD Listened to the album and... well... it wasn't interesting, it didn't fulfill my expectations at all and I have to say I didn't even expect another Lull or TWD.

It's special in a certain way, it has it's moments, but I'm not sure I'll listen to it more than 2-3 times.

Iboga released 2 albums simultaneously - this one and Sun Control Species' debut album Scienza Nuova. I have to say SCS is more innovative, detailed thus more interesting and wins by a mile.

@ discogs says track #4 was co-produced with Dave Young, the same guys who was riped off lately and previously produced music under the name of Chi-A.D. — is this true?

It was me, who submitted the release on discogs. in the booklet, it is written that Dave Young, had been producing B.H.D., with the Strom btrohers. As I wrote to the moderators, I assumed it was Dave Young a.k.a. Chi-A.D., but I'm not 100% sure..

I quite enjoyed it. nothing groundbreaking but musically fine enough to keep the listener engaged. maybe a little too minimal for my taste but that can be overlooked as they've managed to tweak out some nice grooves. the melodies are subtle and thats what i like. nothing is overdone :)

Good music is always appreciated , and antix delivered.

8/10

• 2 weeks later...

I was a big fan of Antix first two albums, but I can't really get into this one. I really don't know where everyone gets the minimal vibe from, cause too me it sounds like a mesh of various progressive stylings, with a hint of the typical Antix flavor, except that track Circade.

Maybe I just don't get it, but there are great ideas sprinkled throughout these tracks, but then they are not followed through. Take the track Flock for example, theres that great "dubby hook" that has great potential, but then it gets lost in the build-up of the track and doesnt do anything. Then in the end these techno'ish leads come creating a very "Berlin atmosphere", but when it gets going they are taken away. In the end, I have heard some great ideas, but I keep thinking "this is it???".

Same with Circade, the only track that IMHO ventures into minimal territory. When I first heard this track, for the first two minutes my brain started doing backflips and screaming "FUCK YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!" but then:

Nothing.

The idea is just going nowhere. If you compare this track with regular minimal techno, the "experts" just make a lot more out of their few ideas. But usually they don't even sound half as good as Antix production-wise, but that's a whole other issue.

Well, these were just two examples. In general "Wanderers" is just a little too bland for my taste. I feel like there are just too many flavors thrown into the mixer, and out comes something that tastes like everything and nothing. Or, to be mean, compare it to mixing colours. If you mix all colours together, the result is brown

Anyways, thats just MHO, there is no reason you should listen to me, I have a small penis, so you never know what I'm trying to compensate that deficiency with.

• 5 months later...

I think this is the best Antix one so far. I thought track 6 was poor, but the rest of the CD was very enjoyable.

Sure, it sounds different than their previous releases. But that is okay by me, I thought the last one had a bit too much cheese.

I wouldnt call this CD minimalist, although it certainly is a bit technoish at times. But that is no bad thing.

I recommend this one.

Pedro

best one for me aswell, took a long time before it realy started to shine though.

the music here seems to flow effortlessly straight out of nowhere, as if it's just wandering around in space. highly accomplished album with a superbly fitting name. :)

• 1 month later...

With time I liked this more. It has potential, Antix moved to another territory and I'm pretty sure their next encounter will be better.

UPD 17 April. OK. I like it :) A very mature album. Nothing grew on me as much as this one did.

• 1 month later...

With time I liked this more. It has potential, Antix moved to another territory and I'm pretty sure their next encounter will be better.

UPD 17 April. OK. I like it :) A very mature album. Nothing grew on me as much as this one did.

Same here! At first glance this is pretty boring rattling bleepblop.

But eventually it gets stuck in your head, making sure you keep coming back for more...

Good stuff!!

• 5 months later...