Reviewing Psytrance Albums

sammyhkhan

Guest antic

I personally need at least a week of 2-3 times daily listetning, in various places and circumstances.

Only then I can say something coherent about the album and be sure that I won't change my mind (that much) after posting it.

But, I've seen reviews starting from "I'm just listening to the album for a first time and...". WTF? If I was like that, not one would reach more than 2/5, because nowadays I'm always dissapointed after first 2-3 listens :)

Agree with antic.

Sometimes i write down my thoughts after listening to it once , then come back to it again when i listen to it the second time and if necessary the third. never do it in one shot .. it doesnt end up being that objective.

Agree with antic.

Sometimes i write down my thoughts after listening to it once , then come back to it again when i listen to it the second time and if necessary the third. never do it in one shot .. it doesnt end up being that objective.

True true. Sometimes I give an album a first listen and I'm really excited about it, and I over-rate it. After a couple more listens I guess I can give a better judgement.

I don't even listen to an album before I review it! I just guess what it will be like!

:P

Seriously, it depends on the album. some I can review after a few weeks of constant listening some take years before I can find the words!

Why would you review your own album?

Can we have some samples too?

Haha! I wish... I had produced my own album. Sorry about any confusion. I did not mean "my" as in my own, but "my" as in my first review of a psytrance album ever...

The amount of hours I sink into making a review is a bit ludicrous... the yardstick I use is a bit abstract; when I make a review I only feel it is complete when I can project forward and imagine agreeing with the words in the years to come. Of course, it never quite works that way (time changes all things) but it's something to aim for... and certainly the main reason for my reviews typically lagging behind the date of release by entire years. It's why I've been booted off all promo lists I've ever been on: I don't "produce" on time to hit the leading edge of the sales curve, so my in-depth reviews are useless to the labels, or so I figure. Oh well. Better a thorough job than some cheap knock-off for a free CD (the material value of which does not even remotely cover the amount of hours spent reviewing it).

I don't review much ... I guess I have posted one real review so far if you don't count that S-Range promo...

That Matenda release I reviewed I probably did after the first few days with five or six listenings in total. To some of you that might be like nothing ... but to me it was almost too much, at the edge of overplaying.

The Matenda I put into my record player after that review some times again and my judgement did not change and will not change.

I can say I'm generally quite quick with my judgement concerning releases ... like, two listenings and I know whether this is good or not. And more I don't wanna give it anyway if it's not good. Most often it doesn't even need two listenings, most stuff instantly flashes me with first listening. And generally the impressions I have after the first or second listening tend to last quite long - that is years. That is not the case when I listen to it too much though, then it gets old quickly (yes, even the utmost best stuff!) ... yes, seriously, if I listened to the CDs I own in the first year as often as you (probably all) do just in the first month, it gets overplayed! That might sound strange to some, but it is like that. And thus I actually only listen to mediocre stuff often and treasure the good stuff for special occasions :D

I prefer reviewing a bit less and more detailed then otherwise,

same rule for each artist,

I put the release one week on my mp3 player and decide then if I want to review it,

don't write negative reviews, if I don't like it ~ I don't write it...

then 2 weeks after that if I like the music a well detailed review rises,

let's say > 25 times listen (consider that's not 25 times the entire release)

check my space, my englisch reviews are posted there....

I don't review that much anymore, it simply takes up too much time to write in-depth reviews of several releases each month. On average I would say that I need to listen to the release at least 6-8 times first, and then some hours to write the review itself.

I think that time doesn't matter, you can review it right after you fully understand it.

Like my lecturer once said: "Anybody can become a professor, but some need 20 years and for some it takes more than 100."

And that's not the problem, the real problem is posting bullshit comments by people who don't understand what they have just heard.

I've pretty much dropped out of reviewing because real life caught up with me... I haven't reviewed anything for months... Maybe I'll give in to the pressure and extradite myself from this self-inflicted review-hiatus again once...

Anyway, when I did write a lot of reviews, I spent a good deal of time listening and absorbing an album before I wrote about it. An indepht review required at least 3-4-5 full listens for me - and often more. Some I've listened to 10-20 times before I could put it into words. But I've also written about stuff I'd only listened through 2 or 3 times. It all depends on your level of inspiration that day.

/DP

I don't review that much anymore, it simply takes up too much time to write in-depth reviews of several releases each month. On average I would say that I need to listen to the release at least 6-8 times first, and then some hours to write the review itself.

I've pretty much dropped out of reviewing because real life caught up with me... I haven't reviewed anything for months... Maybe I'll give in to the pressure and extradite myself from this self-inflicted review-hiatus again once...

Anyway, when I did write a lot of reviews, I spent a good deal of time listening and absorbing an album before I wrote about it. An indepht review required at least 3-4-5 full listens for me - and often more. Some I've listened to 10-20 times before I could put it into words. But I've also written about stuff I'd only listened through 2 or 3 times. It all depends on your level of inspiration that day.

/DP

so true, it costs too many time to create what you want,

Guest antic

so true, it costs too many time to create what you want,

+1

Yes, it's true. But I think it is worth sometimes to spend few hours to write a review.

That's about the only way I can contribute to the scene, besides buying music of course. I think it's very important to spread the word about the stuff I find interesting (and why you like it!). Therefore you won't find negative reviews from me - I can't bother writing those. And I don't have such sharp / witty comment as Damion.

+1

Yes, it's true. But I think it is worth sometimes to spend few hours to write a review.

That's about the only way I can contribute to the scene, besides buying music of course. I think it's very important to spread the word about the stuff I find interesting (and why you like it!). Therefore you won't find negative reviews from me - I can't bother writing those. And I don't have such sharp / witty comment as Damion.

I know and you are right, it's contributing the scene but after writing more then 70 to me it was enough :blink:

we all have our borders, that seemed to be mine :unsure:

it's a review... i honestly don't think peopel should take this stuff too seriously. when i started social commentaries because i realized i was bored to talk about the music itself, i quit. it's fun, it can get you inspired, it gives you some displine if you really take it seriously (thanks for that Martin), but at the end of the day... it's just another review for the pile... don't loose sleep over it.

• 5 months later...