6 Fractales Pt.1

7 Fractales Pt.2

8 Birds

9 Arcadia

10 You Don't Know Me

11 Headup

12 Over And Over

13 Like Porcelain

Apparat is a German electronic music producer that i first noticed about 3 years ago following a recommendation by a friend that knows her shit.

It was Apparat's Duplex album that hit me hard with it's hectic yet organised soundscapes that amazed me with the attention to small sounds that Sasha is so well known for. Since that Duplex album Sasha released a collaboration album with Ellen Alien which didn't really catch my ears because it was too much dancefloor oriented in my eyes than his previous more experimental material. So although i approached this release with a grain of skepticism as soon as i found about this album i quickly purchased this album on Beatport.

So what do we have here? Pretty surprising outcome by all means. This album is much more stripped down version of the Apparat that i fell in love with but i guess that the insane sound editing and small glitches were replaced by lots of melodies and walls of strings which gives this album a very cinematic feeling at parts. The album features many vocal tunes that actually fit very well (after the initial shock that is). Raz Ohara contributes with his very unique and warm voice that hints remotely Thom Yorke's melancholy. Those tunes have a Hip Hop rhythm but don't let this shock you cause it really sounds cool, as hard to believe as it is.

Personally it took me almost one month to grasp this one, overcoming the undeniable Soul and Hip Hop influences that some tracks here display. I mean, IDM with Hip Hop, wasn't it the worse idea ever? Not here it isn't.

Bottom line:

Weird album, masterful production with really touching melodies in a few tunes and some really cool songs that you'd prefer on Radio over the shit they feed you.

9/10 Highly recommended for IDM aficionados.

Previews here: http://www.myspace.com/apparat

Most tracks doestn sound like IDM for me,I hate these crapy vocals :blink:.

Arovane, Bola, Clickits, Funkstörung, Helios, Lusine (Icl), Ochre ...

I agree with you. I can recommend (melodic IDM/electronica):

Lackluster (!), Multiplex (!) , Abfahr Hinwil, Infinite Scale (!), Sleepy Town Manufacture, Loess and more...

• 4 weeks later...

Most tracks doestn sound like IDM for me,I hate these crapy vocals :blink:.

I agree with you. I can recommend (melodic IDM/electronica):

Lackluster (!), Multiplex (!) , Abfahr Hinwil, Infinite Scale (!), Sleepy Town Manufacture, Loess and more...

I am not sure what Apparat is doing in this section since it is has zero to do with trance. Perhaps it should be moved to the general section. Having said this, this is Apparat's best release, a worthy effort, and I heartily recommend a listen.

I do hate the term IDM - I think "electronica" or "leftfield" are probably better terms. The "IDM" moniker is just so...90s in my opinion.

I will resist giving recommendations in the genre, but just to say that of all the artists so far mentioned in this thread, if I would have to choose one I would choose Abfahrt Hinwil - theirs was a fantastic release and the best thing to come out of the now seemingly defunct (and somewhat over-rated) Toytronic label.

Pedro

PS This is not related musically - but am I the only one who thinks Pantha-du-Prince walks on water?

I am not sure what Apparat is doing in this section since it is has zero to do with trance. Perhaps it should be moved to the general section.

Yes, true, but still. If there are FSOL and Hardfloor reviews from back in the 90's here than there's no reason why this one shouldn't be as well.