Problem with connecting a synth to my comp

I recently bought me a Yamaha DX7IID and a soundcard with midi ports. I connected the DX to my PC and the problem is that it only works as a midi controller (I'm using Ableton Live) but when I sequence it, there is no sound on the PC and I can only hear it if I plug my phones into the synth. I was wondering if I need another cable to connect the synth's output with my computer. Btw I tried searching the page and a few DX7 pages and I didn't find any info so sorry if it was asked before.

HUGE thanks for the help :)

I was wondering if I need another cable to connect the synth's output with my computer.

1. You need 1 midicable (5pin din to 5pin din) to connect between midi in on your computer and midi out on the dx7. This connection sends midi from the dx7 to the computer.

2. You also need 1 midicable from midi out on the computer to midi in on the dx7. This connection sends midi from the computer to the dx7.

You should now be able to send midi to the dx7 from the computer and send midi from the dx7 to the computer. If you want to test at this stage you will not hear anything because midi is only control signals (note, pitch bend, velocity, pan etc) and not audio signals. If you plug in headphones you should be able to hear the dx7 sequenced from the computer.

To record the dx7 into the computer follow step 3.

3. Connect the line out from the dx7 to the line in on your computer or mixer. The cable depends on you soundcard, they come with different connectors. Open your sequencer, choose the input which the dx7 is connected and record it.

If you are using the dx7 as your motherkeyboard you might want to turn "local off" on the dx7.

Other sources of confusion is midi channel, mixer routing and possible defects.

I really recommend reading a book on midi as this is a little complicated if you want to get the most out of your synth. Basic stuff should not be a problem.

Hope this gets you through :D

Thanks guys :posford: I thought I only needed a midi cable to connect it so I'll go buy me a cable for the output.

edit: ok I bought the cable and plugged it in my line in and now I hear it through my headphones on my computer but I can't record the sound(not with ableton or with my soundcard's recorder)

and welcome to the wonderful world of routing, pretty soon you ll be going crazy :)

in the future

you ll have a midi patchbay, most probably an external mixer, outboard effects, channel strips, midi controllers, other synths, and they all will have to work together :) You ll need literally 30-50 cables (plenty of audio cables, midi cables, spdif cables etc.) You ll have papers where the scheme of your routing is on.

you ll be scratching you head saying =Oh my soundcard in4 and 5 comes from the roland synth and it is also connected to midipacthbay in5 out9 then the soundcards out 8 goes to mixer in2 which is in group 5 where the effects are connected via aux2 on mixer hmm lets see why cant i play real time oh I forgot to route my main midi controller to my roland synth blah blah blah or why there is no sound, maybe it is just ONE of the cables is broken.

and there are different ways of creative patching with stuff to get weird or original sounds :)

and believe me I love doing this :) haha