DJ MIDI Controllers!

This a re-post of a thread that was posted under "off-topic", but it is probably better suited here...

So,

This summer four major DJing MIDI control surfaces are being released…

The Behringer BCD 3000

The M-Audio Torq Xponent

The Numark Total Control

The Vestax VCI-100

I used to DJ on Denon double CD deck back in the 90s, but after a break of a couple of years, I am now committing myself to the art again. However, a major aspect that has changed in this era is the technology that is available. I am planning to practice and play using the M-Audio Torq Xponent. This basically means that I never ever will have to carry around my CDs again, but also to some extent that I never ever will have to buy CDs again...

What do you guys reckon? Should we embrace this new technology with open arms, or should we condemn all of these children of the devil?

In addition, have any of you used any of the products listed above. In that case, kindly write down your thoughts…

• 1 month later...

Technically you might need more resources to play a WAV but it doesn't really matter. I briefly looked into hard drive bandwidth to see how practical playing WAVs is and really, at any given second, you're not really transferring that much information. With MP3s you need to decompress on the fly, so who knows? Maybe playing MP3s eats up more CPU. Either way, it doesn't matter much. When I move on to laptop DJing or other software controller setups I'll be playing WAVs. In fact, over the last four months a rather major undertaking of mine has involved the purchase of over 1TB in additional hard drive space and the ripping of absolutely every CD in my collection... and it's pretty much done! I still think its a tad crazy to open up a directory and have like 600+ CDs sitting there in WAV-quality. Massive! The next step is to archive the backups and smash the individual CDs to bits. Basically I need to organize 12,000+ songs into different categories based on style and how well I like them. Now that's a task. When I'm done, maybe I'll pick up some kind of controller and finally start fussing around. I have my eye on the Xponent but don't like that it has all these custom features designed for Torq (I don't approve of hardware dependent on a particular type of software). I tried the Vestax VRC-100 or whatever it is in the store and it felt like too much of a toy for me to go with it. I figure that since DJ midi controllers are essentially still first generation, waiting out the next development cycle will really pay off in terms of features and usability.

echnically you might need more resources to play a WAV but it doesn't really matter. I briefly looked into hard drive bandwidth to see how practical playing WAVs is and really, at any given second, you're not really transferring that much information. With MP3s you need to decompress on the fly, so who knows? Maybe playing MP3s eats up more CPU

Yup this is true, mp3s decompress about 20 seconds or so and buffer into the memory and play from there. Depending on how the file is being played, .wav should stream directly from the harddrive, which so long the CPU isn't doing a buttload of other things, it uses less resources then skipping around an mp3. Playing mp3 makes the HD read and write (buffers, etc) while .wav just makes it read.

In most situations it won't matter at all though, technology is sufficiently fast enough.

i want to start to get into djing a bit. being looking into the m-aduio torq. what software do people recomend. ive look at ablton live. that was cool to mix tunes live & cut them up. also had a look at tractor dj. seems very nice and easy. but i found it a bit lazy, what i mean is that i simple open a song press play and its beatmapped and in time with the other song. thats a good thing for me dont get me wrong but i want to learn to beat match songs manualy.