DJing with MP3s!

sammyhkhan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO the problem is that Mp3s (even in highest quality) always sound/feel inferior to CD quality/WAV (even FLAC) when played at very high volume.

I guess it depends on what kind of environment you are djing in and if you are satisfied by the sound quality yourself. (And maybe try to get WAV files, sometimes the labels offer them also directly).

I also find it more rewarding to have a physical copy- somehow it lets me appreciate the music more and connect to it better. However if it really is a pain to buy/order psy in NZ and takes too long for your needs, the speed and ease of obtaining it online may be more important to you and makeup for it.

Next is......which program do you intend to use for djing or do you intend to burn the files and play them traditionally (if you have equipment at hand)?

Overall I think there is still alot of prejudice and disrespect for "lap top" djs, simply because it narrows the barriers of entry for djing tremendously , takes away some of the basic skills (beatmatching...) and automates many processes (cueing, music management etc). Also some people assume all lap top djs play pirated music:/ However in future this will surely change and become more accepted as people realise the possibilities and benefits these programs offer.

well, I play with mp3s and wavs and also some vinyls when the ones that I like from beatport or the like are available on vinyl. I see nothing wrong in going forward in time, and lets face it, cds are bound to disappear sooner or later anyways... not to mention that also vinyls are harder and harder to get for some genres. I have played mp3 sets on VERY BIG sound systems, and people could not hear the difference between them and the cds that I was spinning. Convenience is also a factor for me, I prefer having 300 albums and 400 singles with me on one computer with an external hard drive than to fucking carry 100 vinyls and 100 cds to a party. I like to have a LARGE selection, so I can change course during my set at any time.

Plastikman, Sven Vath, Martinez and many many more BIG NAMES are spinning with their computers and also with wavs or mp3s. So, to say that a dj is only a dj when he spins vinyl or cds, and if you want to take it by the MEANING of "DJ" then yeah, you are not one (Hence not being a disc jockey), but for sure he is an artist, and for sure he deserves JUST the acknowledgment that any other dj does. At the end of the day, its the result that counts, and what moves the asses of the crowd and NOT the medium that he/she makes it with. Also bear in mind, that I have been an active dj for 15 years now, so I know the shit I am talking about. :P

You dont know the effort that some "laptop spinners" put into their sets when they are doing it, the preparation that some people (including me if its a big gig) are doing. So please don't go dissing people that are "laptop spinners" if you don't have a clue about it :) (not wanting to offend anyone).

Laptop spinners??? You know that i ve been to 2 parties this year that the act finish earlier or stop in the middle cause of a laptop failure?? Wanna know the artists?? Aes Dana in athens, cause of this failure never listen to his set and detritus ''live'' in athens . So there is space for some dissing i think, eh??

Well I'm sorry I just don't see the art of taping one track to the other. Of course, there are real dj's out there and u might be one of them. Being able to do this all live and not just hit the play button in the sequencer, dynamically changing the eq on portions of the track, effects, being able to synchronize everything while doing it live is what I consider being a DJ is, and not just taping one track to the other with Mixmeister :lol: But I'm pretty sure that's not what you're doing Nemo, the mixmeister part i mean ;)

Laptop spinners??? You know that i ve been to 2 parties this year that the act finish earlier or stop in the middle cause of a laptop failure?? Wanna know the artists?? Aes Dana in athens, cause of this failure never listen to his set and detritus ''live'' in athens . So there is space for some dissing i think, eh??

So then, all live acts suck as well since they have to play from their computer stuff? I have seen Technics and Pioneer players completely go bonkers as well while the dj was playing. Bad argument, since I always bring a backup set of cds and some vinyl... ;)

Well I'm sorry I just don't see the art of taping one track to the other. Of course, there are real dj's out there and u might be one of them. Being able to do this all live and not just hit the play button in the sequencer, dynamically changing the eq on portions of the track, effects, being able to synchronize everything while doing it live is what I consider being a DJ is, and not just taping one track to the other with Mixmeister :lol: But I'm pretty sure that's not what you're doing Nemo, the mixmeister part i mean ;)

Well, what diffrence is there with almost all psy djs spinning cds with bpm counters... they are just as the bpm counters on any good mixprogram (Traktor, Serato, Torq etc etc) not reliable, and even if you get a QUIET accurate result, you always have to finetune the bpm until its perfect. What pisses me off is that people seem to think that there is nothing behind it to become a computer jockey (CJ HAHA). What I am saying is that I like to take things to the limits, and with a computer you can really reach them. At one point I was mixing with 4 decks and effects (Vinyl) with the computer I can do so much more, adding loops, adding effects, adding samples, reverse things on the fly... you name it. Well.. and yes, I do consider myself a PROPER DJ, if not beyond. (Sounds arrogant, I know, sorry!)

A dj that spins mp3 doesn't respect the audience nor his self.

If you hear a difference between 320Kbps mp3 file from beatport to original file you are clearly wasting your time posting on this forum.

You just called quite a lot dj's unprofessionals. And not just soulseek/e-mule/dc++ dj's. Also many mainstream and a few psy dj's that use the beatport service. I think it's time to pull the banana out of your ears/ass, enjoy the music and stop talking about stuff you have absolutely no idea about. :wank:

Wrong. There are no bad PC's, only bad users. My WinXP didn't crash since the day i installed it. Which is well over a year.

If you bring a laptop to play at very humid and hot environment and expecting it to work flawlessly than maybe you are not that smart. If you use a clean installation of WinXP/MacOS and never connect to Internet with it or playing games you should be safe. It's a work tool and the Dj's/Artists that use it should never forget that.

If you hear a difference between 320Kbps mp3 file from beatport to original file you are clearly wasting your time posting on this forum.

You just called quite a lot dj's unprofessionals. And not just soulseek/e-mule/dc++ dj's. Also many mainstream and a few psy dj's that use the beatport service. I think it's time to pull the banana out of your ears/ass, enjoy the music and stop talking about stuff you have absolutely no idea about. :wank:

Pitty you study sound engeneering and can't spot the difference between raw cd and compressed mp3 :wank: :lol:

It's really about how good one has the hearing. I can hear the difference between mp3s and wavs, but many people don't. It reallly all comes down to what condition your ears are in.

Btw. I don't know why, but I can hear better with my left ear. Like some high frequencies I can't hear on my right ear, and on the left I can. Is that normal?

well, I play with mp3s and wavs and also some vinyls when the ones that I like from beatport or the like are available on vinyl. I see nothing wrong in going forward in time, and lets face it, cds are bound to disappear sooner or later anyways... not to mention that also vinyls are harder and harder to get for some genres. I have played mp3 sets on VERY BIG sound systems, and people could not hear the difference between them and the cds that I was spinning. Convenience is also a factor for me, I prefer having 300 albums and 400 singles with me on one computer with an external hard drive than to fucking carry 100 vinyls and 100 cds to a party. I like to have a LARGE selection, so I can change course during my set at any time.

Plastikman, Sven Vath, Martinez and many many more BIG NAMES are spinning with their computers and also with wavs or mp3s. So, to say that a dj is only a dj when he spins vinyl or cds, and if you want to take it by the MEANING of "DJ" then yeah, you are not one (Hence not being a disc jockey), but for sure he is an artist, and for sure he deserves JUST the acknowledgment that any other dj does. At the end of the day, its the result that counts, and what moves the asses of the crowd and NOT the medium that he/she makes it with. Also bear in mind, that I have been an active dj for 15 years now, so I know the shit I am talking about. :P

You dont know the effort that some "laptop spinners" put into their sets when they are doing it, the preparation that some people (including me if its a big gig) are doing. So please don't go dissing people that are "laptop spinners" if you don't have a clue about it :) (not wanting to offend anyone).

Cheers Nemo! I have freaking heard some of your sets (live) and know that you know what you are talking about! So, your reply is encouraging!

I suppose that there is something in the air that make native HBGers think in particular ways :lol:

It's really about how good one has the hearing. I can hear the difference between mp3s and wavs, but many people don't. It reallly all comes down to what condition your ears are in.

Btw. I don't know why, but I can hear better with my left ear. Like some high frequencies I can't hear on my right ear, and on the left I can. Is that normal?

Yes it is normal!

One word: Placebo...

Oh noes...

I agree that I can listen to some background music, like radio, or ass-shaking house/electro in almost any quality, but when it comes to the 'state of trance' I can't appreciate low-quality tracks with frequencies cut off.

No high-frequencies and these dithered basslines... omg!

Pitty you study sound engeneering and can't spot the difference between raw cd and compressed mp3 :wank: :lol:

I finished almost a year ago, and i am willing to test everybody with a well encoded 320kbps mp3 file on good speakers. Not many of you will pass. I know i haven't.

well, as many have tolld it allready in other numerous threads - normal person [that would be psy shanti baba] wont probably tell that its 320kbps mp3 playing, unless told so. so nothing wrong with what you "spin", what matters is what you make out of it. imo.

well, as many have tolld it allready in other numerous threads - normal person [that would be psy shanti baba] wont probably tell that its 320kbps mp3 playing, unless told so. so nothing wrong with what you "spin", what matters is what you make out of it. imo.

+1

@Sammy yeah haha, gret citizens think alike. :lol:

Guest The Journey Man Project

I'll tell you from my experience... spinning with mp3's just doesn't feel right... I prefer cd...