Dark Psy

I'm just about to start trying to make a bit of Dark Psy (At least darker than I do currently try to do). Any basic tips on making it to help me get started ?

Andy

(I'm probably asking for trouble with this question aren't I ?)

trouble? why?

its just a retarded question... :P

on a more serious note: i think alot of sounds are saw waves (layered on top of eachother). With fm, lots of distortion or some noise on top.

Also check isratrance forum. loads of info there..

Good luck!

trouble? why?

Thanks for the link !

I knew it would be trouble because someone would say it's a dumb question (and it probably is )!

cr1st0 I've seen the KbbbKbbbKbbbKbbb quoted before but disecting some Para Halu tracks I've noticed that once the tempo goes above 150bpm (the starting point for Dark I think) the pattern is more rolling:

K_bbK_bbK_bbK_Bb (the last bassnote is a full 8th long with a 32nd on the final 16th an octave higher with portmantau) to give a pitch bend. (the other kicks and bass notes are short sharp shocks barely 8 wavelengths long at 80(ish) Hz.

How about diminished fifths in the lead ? Good or bad.

Ta

Andy

dblue glitch is nice yes (not only for the sort of psy you are talking about (i refuse to call it "dark")), but totally overused. one can make really cool things with it, but i guess that most people just add it into the fx chain and use its randomizer. thats definetely very boring. use it consciously, try to make something special with it.

dblue glitch is nice yes (not only for the sort of psy you are talking about (i refuse to call it "dark")), but totally overused. one can make really cool things with it, but i guess that most people just add it into the fx chain and use its randomizer. thats definetely very boring. use it consciously, try to make something special with it.

Exactly. Use the pattern editor in it.