Anoebis

Digipack or Jewelcase?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. what do you prefer?

• Digipack (so "paper" cd boxes)
    • Plastic jewel case cd boxes
    • I don't care

Ok... i'm sick of it!

Why is everybody releasing their cds in digipacks (the paper boxes for cds... like the goa heads etc) these days?

I HATE digipacks so much... Why?

1. this week I was into town and a thunderstorm passed, because of the wind it rained like 50 cm inside my room (my window was still open), so some digipacks became wet and look like seawaves now :(

2. I had a digipack with the middle broken (the thing that holds the cd), because it's a digipack, you can't replace it! Grrr

3. When I have to play on parties, and I bring digipacks, they look like 10 years old after 5 gigs!

So I would vote normal cd boxes over digipacks all the time...! is it just me...?

1. this week I was into town and a thunderstorm passed, because of the wind it rained like 50 cm inside my room (my window was still open), so some digipacks became wet and look like seawaves now :(

2. I had a digipack with the middle broken (the thing that holds the cd), because it's a digipack, you can't replace it! Grrr

I am no DJ, so I cannot speak for the gigs and all, but #2 here is something that freqeuntly happens, and a lot of CDs come with those inside teeth already broken in my mailbox!!! And they're still sealed and new releases... <_<

And as for the rain... Fuck!!! Some of those digipacks actually dissolved. Literary. I want/need/demand/prefer jewel cases, any given time of any given god damn day!

I can see why somebody who travels a lot with their CDs would prefer jewel cases, though sometimes digipacks have a nicer look and feel to them, especially if they are glossy (like the last Androcell or Dark Nebula albums for example). I'm not keen on the matt black digipacks though (like those containing Ultimae releases) for the simple reason that fingerprints show up on them and never go away.

I'm not keen on the matt black digipacks though (like those containing Ultimae releases) for the simple reason that fingerprints show up on them and never go away.

True! :) I noticed that after eating some fries with my bare hands... After that I've put Solar Fields on on my stereo in the kitchen, and the booklet was totally "fingered" :)

I'm not keen on the matt black digipacks though (like those containing Ultimae releases) for the simple reason that fingerprints show up on them and never go away.

RIGHT!

Please you guys from Ultimae, please change it. PLEASE! Your past digipaks with no gloss, they were so good!

As for the question ... I guess I prefer digipaks. It's more personal and it teaches you to treat your releases nicer. And it's cool, because the more marks they have, however little they are, the more memories you connect with them...

And my digipaks will never break (as "tear in two"), because I treat them nice. What the hell are you people doing to your CDs anyway ... the CDs I bought new are still looking new after 20 years in my collection, yet when I buy used ones they always got marks, scratches and fingerprints! I bet, every single mark or fingerprint or whatever on my CDs and digipaks is not from me but from the people who owned them before me! I don't get it how one can be so rude to his releases that he tears a digipak - yet I myself have a torn one. Got it for 1 euro though ... well, better a torn one (with Cds in perfect condition, strangely) for 1 Euro than a new looking one for 15 Euros :P

And jewel cases only break in the mail. That's what they can do really well. A digipak doesn't break! At least not when you treat it somewhat nice. Be gentle to it! Like you'd be to a good looking lady :)

Anoebis, you should leave the digipaks at home if you go to gigs ... this way they won't get worn out so soon. But I assumed you got one of these CD cases anyway, no? :huh:

Anoebis, you should leave the digipaks at home if you go to gigs ... this way they won't get worn out so soon. But I assumed you got one of these CD cases anyway, no? :huh:

yes, I have such a cd case, but still... if you play 5-6 times a week something can happen with the cds, even IN a case...

You are right, I should copy them all, but that would be

1. a hell of a work (at least 100+ copies)

2. it would degrade my skills! I wouldn't be able to see anymore which cd is where (I take different cds to every gig, so, I need the side of the artwork to see which cd it is... like that i can build my set)

3. you are still right... i should do :P

RIGHT!

Those book style cd cases where you slide the cd in and out can and do scratch the CD, regardless of how careful you are with them. Some are better than others but you are still sliding the CD surface directly around on a surface so it will happen eventually. I'm very careful with my CDs but during the heat of the moment in DJ sets often then disc care factor gets dropped down a notch simply because you MUST keep the music going and not waste any time. After a few years of wrestling with the issue, I decided that I now only play out with cdr copies of my original CDs. The damage during the gig factor isn't such an issue then, plus I have seen one too many DJs get thier cd case stolen as over the years.

As for the issue at hand, I personally prefer the look of digipaks and that they take up a hair less space, but dislike them for all the other reasons listed above. When I moved from the US to Japan, it was great being to take out all my CDs and artwork and just throw the jewel cases away and buy new ones when I got settled in here. It freed up an insane amount of room on my move, and indeed one of my bigger packing issues was what to do with all the damn digipaks.

Ok... i'm sick of it!

Why is everybody releasing their cds in digipacks (the paper boxes for cds... like the goa heads etc) these days?

3. When I have to play on parties, and I bring digipacks, they look like 10 years old after 5 gigs!

So I would vote normal cd boxes over digipacks all the time...! is it just me...?

I agree i also hate digipacks, in fact i have cut of the front and back covers of all my goa head cds to make them fit in my cd bag :lol:

Ok... i'm sick of it!

I voted I dont care, as I take it out of the box and into a cd sleeve. Digipack IS nicer, since they are smaller, and take up less space in boxes, but thats all :D

I agree i also hate digipacks, in fact i have cut of the front and back covers of all my goa head cds to make them fit in my cd bag :lol:

Same with me, I like digipaks that also come with an extra insert inside, so you can maintain the original package without cutting it, and you also have the info for your cd case. I mentioned this a few months back, and some people thought that the fact that I cut my digipaks so they could fit into the case was insane. So I prefer a digipak only if it somes with an extra insert for the cd case. Most of Hommegas cds come like that.

Guest antic

Jewel cases all the way!

+ they don't get damaged that easy,

+ they're easily replaceable,

+ they allow for more / better artwork (unfolded front cover etc.),

+ they're safer in travel,

- they take more space,

- (some) digipacks look a bit better,

Guest The Journey Man Project

Digipak... when I dj I use a cd case... actually now a days I jus take burnt copies never the original... so they never leave my house... and they look awesome when I show them off or have them on display :)

Ok... i'm sick of it!

use the search MOD! :angry:

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?sh...mp;#entry509120

jk :P :wank:

my laconic answer will be: jewel case hold better and can be replaced in case it breaks, but digipack is nicer!

digipack.. the looks are just so much nicer.

I put the cds right in my cd case and chuck the covers away in the closet. so i dont really care but prefer digipacks. If you are not a dj it s just so much nicer to have than a regular cd.

I never understood djs that bring 40 cases with em to gigs. So much rubbish you are taking without any purpose. I take over a 100 cds with me to gigs so I really dont wanna carry all those cases :lol:

I like digipacks! Usually they just looks nicer, especially the multi-fold ones, also because they can contain a inlay as well :) I just like the fact that its much easier to give the artwork more depth, thats usually what lacks (imo) from the shiny inlays in jewel-cases though it can of course look alright too!

but that said I hate bad quality digi-packs :pissed: Nothing worse than a broken digi-pack (as said before)... so if the labels are going to use digipacks they should not go for the half-way there solution, cus there are good quality packs were the pins in middle wont break for SURE... use them god damn it!!

RIGHT!

Please you guys from Ultimae, please change it. PLEASE! Your past digipaks with no gloss, they were so good!

So true! The gloss make them seem... well cheap :blink: maybe not cheap but still not as nice as the older ones :P !

Digipak... when I dj I use a cd case... actually now a days I jus take burnt copies never the original... so they never leave my house... and they look awesome when I show them off or have them on display :)

I have stated to do the same... it took a hell of time to do it... (still in the progress and far from finished yet) but its well worth doing it. And then its its all there and ready to go! And if one of CDs get lost on the way u just make a replacement when u come back home!

And another plus is that if u are unfortunate enough to loose ur CDs, then its only copies that is gone... which is very good if u r traveling with all of ur music!

I'm another without preference. Jewels cases are easy to replace when they break and don't get wrecked when you spill your wine over them but digipaks have a more organic look and feel to them and are like vinyl in that respect.

Don't care!

I take care of my CDs (actually I don't make any effort to, I'm obviously just not that rough with them like some people)

Both are fine, as long as the music inside is good I'm happy :)

its been a while since I bought cds, since all my money is going to travelling

but, I do like the digipacks, if they are well done.. seem special somehow

what I dont like about digipacks is when they dont come with a booklet/tracklist sleeve, because Im definitely not gonna be carrying them around and I like knowing the tracks if I didnt memorize them yet :)

Digipack vs Jewel case:

My experience about this:

Digipack:

Good for:

Smaller in size than Jewel case, you can stack more in the same space(convenient for storage)

Lighter (Makes shipping MUCH cheaper when you sale 85% online and have to post them all)

More resistant to transport ( normal enveloppe with no protection will do in contrary of jewel case that DO need extra protection)

Less Plastic = cannot be bad at all :)

Bad for:

Cost much more to make than jewel case

Not friend with water

Cannot be replaced if destroyed

Very often don't have a extra leaflet/don't fit for cd case

Jewel Case:

Good For:

Cheap to produce

Very resistant to most environement.

Can be replaced if broken

"standard" package in the distribution industry and shops

cover / tracklist Adaptable to cd case with a good pair of scissors ;)

Bad for:

Take lot's of space and weight

Heavy and fragile makes them a pain to handle and ship.

All plastic packaging made with fossile oil :-(

In conclusion, as they both have specificities, the choice of packaging is not only a question of taste but also an economical choice for most labels.

CD sales are not amazings, shipping is expensive... You save on production cost or you save on shipping...

Whatever the relative merits of jewel cases and digipacks, something that is worse than both in my opinion is jewel cases that come inside a cardboard sleeve, or worse still a box. IM the Supervisor was almost impossible to get out of the box it came in. Though in retrospect I guess I should have taken that as some kind of hint.