What else is there?

filitico

What else is there?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What non-electronic music do you listen to these days?

• Only teh Psy Trance
    • Rap/Hip-Hop
    • Metal
    • Emo
    • Worldly Music
    • Country
    • Reggae
    • Indie
    • Pop
    • Other

Don't know and didn't look too hard for an older post, but I was just wondering...

Lately I have been quite into African music: the bluesy folksy Ali Farka Toure from Mali and afrobeat King Fela Kuti from Nigeria. They don't come up much on my last.fm account because I mostly hear them on my mp3 player. I also didn't want to write up all genres I can think of since genre obsession is silly :rolleyes: 10 choices is more than enough!

I used to be very into 'underground' Hip-Hop like Brother Ali and Immortal Technique (underground to me anyway) but that was years ago. And unlike most 'cool' people I meet, sometimes some good ol' country music hits the spot. What's with all this country hatred anyways?

And of course as a kid, anything coming out of the tv was OWESUM POSSUM :clapping:

I opted for the "Other" option, because I tend to spin an old classical record every once in a while.

I also like the '80s sound of U2. I know a lot of people consider that just some cheap crossover, clash between pop and "fake" rock, but I like it. A lot. :ph34r:

I also have, and like to listen to, some Pink Floyd records. Actually I don't have 'em any longer, I think my mom took those vinyls with her <_<

Otherwise I just listen to psy trance. I was never one of those people who are "sorrounded" by music 24/7/365, and who let it play if for nothing else then just to have background noise, although I never leave my house without ear phones on... At home, I sometimes prefer silence.

Well, concerning really different types of music (not ambient or anything electronic, something totally different) I listen to Metal ... all kinds of styles from Iced Earth to Summoning - and you can even count some medieval ambient into that - but with a peculiar special preference of crazy finnish Humppa Metal such as Finntroll, Korpiklaani and Trollfest.

And there's also some New Age among my other musical preferences ... such as Gandalf of Mike Oldfield ... but I count that to world music ... just as Xavier Rudd.

So I voted for Metal and World Music :)

Oh, it just came to my mind I could have voted "Other" too ... for the Dark Ambient, Industrial and Noise side of me! Damn <_<

Count 1 more on "Other" please if you want to be exact :)

Filtico - Brother Ali has a new album out, it's really good, you should check it out :)

i listen to hip-hop - El-P, Bro Ali, dead prez, Mos Def, Wu-Tang, Aesop Rock

i also like artists like - Erykah Badu, Aretha Franklin

bands like - The Flaming Lips, The Appleseed Cast, Mercury Rev, Boards of Canada, Tool

As well as listening to the obligatory classical and 60s/70s rock music, I have recently started to enjoy folk music. A couple of good bands are La Bottine Souriante and Steeleye Span.

not much

95% is psy & related genres

of course just going outside means I have to listen to j-pop but I make sure I don't pay attention to it.

Does karaoke count?

Lately I have been quite into African music: the bluesy folksy Ali Farka Toure from Mali and afrobeat King Fela Kuti from Nigeria. They don't come up much on my last.fm account because I mostly hear them on my mp3 player. I also didn't want to write up all genres I can think of since genre obsession is silly :rolleyes: 10 choices is more than enough!

I like African music too!

:)

Check out Amadou & Mariam - Dimanche A Bamako! Take a look in Youtube for them! That's a great album they made and Manu Chao is participating in a couple of tracks!

about 65-85% goa/psy/trance/electronic related thou, depending on the mood. the rest:

Metal / Alternative, IDM-Chill-Downtemp-Triphop-Dubstep-Ambient, Rock, Jazz, Easy Listening etc.

As much as I would like to diversify my listening habits (I totally recognize I have been obsessively immersed in psytrance for years now) I just don't connect to much else... there is music I can appreciate on some level, but very little that I want to return to time and again. If I weren't so deep into DJing I might "get out more" but as is, it's like 99.9% psytrance, progressive, electro, techno, and chill.