Speed Psy over 160 bpm.

Ormion

Speed Psy over 160 bpm.  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• It's awesome!
    • I like dark Psy but it's too fast to get it serious.
    • As long the music is good then I don't care.
    • Awful!!!
    • I haven't heard any of these tracks but I'm curious.
    • I haven't heard any of these tracks and I DON'T WANT TO!

There is a new style out there. It's just like the usual mad, dark, twisted Psy but faster...Well a lot faster.

Compilations like Morthor Spede or Distinctions and artists like Gorump Peyya or Infect Insect.

So the question is simple. What do you think about it?

Personally I always like extreme, twisted, uberpsychedelic music and yes fast as well, but... I hate to say that they're always limits cause I believe there're not. The problem is not that these artists go beyond the usual limits of Psy bpm (135 to 160), the problem that in that speed the music is simply not good!

To enjoy a track I have to synchronize my mind to it. The track can be 138 bpm, 140, 145, 150 even 155 or 160. After all many of the Goa anthems are really-really fast (Hallucinogen-Space Pussy anyone?) but when the track is around 165,170 or 180 bpm then the whole ''synchronization'' simply vanishes. After all it's not only the bpm. This kind of tracks have a furious bassline as well and fast noises instead of a steady melody so the problem gets bigger.

The funny thing is that many of these track would be good if there were slower. The Morax track is the Morthor Spede comp has a gothic feeling but the 190 bpm make the track more funny than good. (It's like listening a normal track in double speed, it's always funny). The SEKT track in the same comp is damn good and I'm thinking that if it was 10-15 bmp slower it would be superb.

I think that many of these artists believe that when a track is faster it's also sicker or harder, which is WRONG! Psyovsky and Osom are muck more sick and twisted without being extremelly fast.

So what do you think?

As long as the music is good then I don't care.

Unfortunately I find that really really fast music is lacking in ideas that keep me interested. Their big idea is lets make it really fast & the music doesn't often stand out after a couple of listens.

Not always, but in my experience so far.

Guest The Journey Man Project

I like Infect Insect as lot... his style remins not so much of psy but more of noise and industrial... and a good dose of drill n' bass... I like any music as long as it's good... even pop :drama: :blink:

Not a fan...even if it's well produced.

A friend of mine who used to live in Boston is the one who put together the Morthor Spede comp.

I support his efforts, but no thank you this music is not for me.

4. Ki Ka Kot Muk

GORUMP PEYYA

6. Fuck u peace

COGNITIVE DYSFUNCTION

7. Fuckin very killa

ARHYPERZIIMAN

What the fuck. Those sound like a joke, except that they're not funny.

By the way, Spede = Posted Image

Well I have had positive experiences with 160+, so if its "made well" I can enjoy it, example: Osom (Kindzadza+Psykovsky)

But normally it tend to get a bit too much if played for too long... and when it gets too gabber-like I don't tend to like it at all!

There is a new style out there. It's just like the usual mad, dark, twisted Psy but faster...Well a lot faster.

Compilations like Morthor Spede or Distinctions and artists like Gorump Peyya or Infect Insect.

[...]

I think that many of these artists believe that when a track is faster it's also sicker or harder, which is WRONG! Psyovsky and Osom are muck more sick and twisted without being extremelly fast.

Check out the Peace For The Wicked compilation and you will hear extreme psychedelia from Osom at 200+ BPM... Electrypnose also has some good songs that are at extreme tempos. I think the thing here is that psycore/gabbapsy/whatever is quite attractive to young producers (many which you mention) but their enthusiasm outweighs their production abilities. I also think it may be useless to try and achieve trance with 160+ BPM music; it is another experience entirely...

Nah, I can't really enjoy music when it's too fast. I can't mentally synchronize to it. The Morax track "Morthor Spede" is just a joke to me. I can't listen to that (I quite like the sample of the Fragetrollet track on the same compilation though :P)...

Generally music tends to sound funny and unserious when it gets too fast. And the greater the bpm speed the lesser room for cool things such as melodies or other stuff you have. It's all just "bambambambambam-break-bambambambambam..." and that gets mindnumbingly uninnovative after time.

Oh and yes, the three ones Fosku mentioned ... they are horrible aswell...

It's not that I don't like faster stuff every now and then. There is some good fast and dark stuff out there. But it doesn't go over 160 bpm ... and when I listen to those fast tracks here now then I also understand why...

i personally think it's ridiculous and i can count the number of tracks that to my ears are good at 160, with my right hand.

But hey, i'm guess i'm just an opinionated cunt :clapping:

As long as the track is good, then whatever. However I find these super fast tracks to be tricky on the dance floor because, in Japan anyways, which is in something of a dark boom, they generally wear the crowd out too quickly and clear the dance floor. The other option is to dance at half the tempo(usually to the snare thwacks), so you end up dancing at about 80-85bpm, but then this can be a bit slow and hard to find a solid pulse to stomp to (at least for me). Like anything, if done well, its good, but as someone else said, at those extreme speeds it tends to become a different experience and, in my experience, not one the majoirty of people can keep up with for extended periods of time.

Not many tracks pull it off well, I dont really know any psytrance that gets over 160 (I dunno how fast Highcosmos gets but I like them). I really like some gabber/hardcore though, like the kinds of tracks that Omar Santana makes and plays. I never really got big into harcore because I think most of it is overclocked crap, but the tracks that manage to be interesting and sound good and be that fast I love! For people who like it really fast I recommend Harcore for the Headstrong volumes 1 and 2 and Planet of the Breaks, all mix cds by Omar Santana. They sure aren't psytrance but they are very good, and pretty darn psychedelic.

I think the thing here is that psycore/gabbapsy/whatever is quite attractive to young producers (many which you mention) but their enthusiasm outweighs their production abilities. I also think it may be useless to try and achieve trance with 160+ BPM music; it is another experience entirely...

I think the same goes for the ppl listening to it? I mean, if you only know Astrix or Infected, then this stuff will sound really different & underground. I think it's just a reaction against the overly poppy stuff we saw about a year or 2 ago with all those really cheeesy rmx's (2Unlimited, Soft Cell, ...)

But if you were around when the Gabber-thing emerged or are familiar with stuff by Venetian Snares or Hellfish, then it's easy to see that this Speed-dark-trance is very, very mediocre (at best)

It's probably something like 90's black-metal, agression & aversion that goes down really good with kids in their puberty, just because of it's shock value. There's bound to be some good stuff in there (somewhere) but the majority needs a lot of work before I'll even call it "music".

ANYHOW, gives me even more reason to go to sleep at night at the festivals :P

It's probably something like 90's black-metal, agression & aversion that goes down really good with kids in their puberty, just because of it's shock value. There's bound to be some good stuff in there (somewhere) but the majority needs a lot of work before I'll even call it "music".

+1

If I want to hear those high BPM's I listen to some jungle ridden hardcore/breakcore witch I think are much more fit for this tempo.

If you apply it to psytrance everything blends together in one noisy polyphony in which you can hardly distinguish any melodies. And melodies are the reason I listen to psy.

When it comes to rhytmical madness I prefer IDM, jungle, Breakcore, whatever.

As long as the music is good i don't cae, but unfortunately most of the tiem that is not the case..

well Gorump Peyya, Xikwri Neyrra and Sekt for example have some nice tracks, but most other songs above 160 bpm are very bad and boring

tracks over 160 bpm that are nice:

Sekt - R U Mental? (165)

Osom - Night Flirt (160-190?)

Sekt vs Aremakki - Wood Man (180)

Electrypnose - 2013 (166)

Gorump Peyya - Jowy333 and his leads (168)

these tracks are original and not only based on speed and bassline.. but i still prefer deep dark psy

but most of the time i prefer hardcore at that speed, the production and construction is better..

and psybasslines don't soudn groovy at 170 bpm..

but maybe it will get better with the time

Electrypnose put 2013 up on his web site... it is probably still available for download there. Good tune!

But if you were around when the Gabber-thing emerged or are familiar with stuff by Venetian Snares or Hellfish, then it's easy to see that this Speed-dark-trance is very, very mediocre (at best)

Strangely enough, I was invited to play at a hardcore/breakcore house party not so long ago... and they loved all the mental stuff I was laying down (mostly just for fun) which included everything from Nam-Shub to Horror Place, with lots of Osom-related tunes in the mix. I will admit I was a bit surprised when I heard one of the other DJ/live acts playing tracks from Procs that night. Afterwards, I surfed Discogs to find some names to plug into Soulseek to see if I could find anything that I might enjoy playing alongside the faster psytrance in my collection, and Venetian Snares was an obvious pick. I also stumbled upon an artist with a name that always makes me laugh whenever I think of it: Duran Duran Duran. I dunno, I guess that's just my kind of humour.

Anyhow, I can totally see what you mean--that most of the "speedy" darkpsy is just rubbish (not that I needed to compare to good fast music to know that)... but, again, Osom and related projects do a fine job of it, and there are some others making interesting stuff. Do I want to dance to this stuff? Not really. But I can enjoy it, or, better yet, play it out for others :)

Basilisk, if Duran Duran Duran is your sense of humor, maybe some tracks on this are your sense of humour too... I know they're mine! ;)

Especially the extremely fucked up Shitmix2000 and Can't Touch This remix. From beautiful stuff till crazying madness.

ANYHOW, gives me even more reason to go to sleep at night at the festivals :P

how do you manage to sleep ? :blink:

if its really fast there is very less scope for groove and there are very few artists who can produce such tracks with groove in between all that chaos : kindzaza , horror place for eg

personally i dont prefer it over 154 bpm* .. thats the max my brain can respond to : after that its pure noise. no matter even if its well produced.

*infect insect - smoke plastic :ph34r: