pr0fane

Posted Image

Artist: D-Nox & Beckers

Title: Left Behind

Label: Electribe

Format: CD / MP3

Released: May 2007

Review:

After tons of major hits throughout the last couple of years, the German duo D-Nox & Beckers is finally out with their debut album. I'm guessing none of these guys needs an introduction, but I'll make a quick roundup anyways: Christian Wedekind aka D-Nox is possibly the most well-known and highly respected DJ to ever come out of the progressive psytrance scene, with involvement in labels like Tatsu and more lately Plastik Park and Sprout, although nowadays his sound (both as a DJ and a producer) have little or no connection to the psychedelic trane scene, but is more towards a mix of minimal, tech, progressive and electro house.

Frank Beckers was one of the first to really successfully incorporate housier sounds into the progressive psytrance sound - first with his soloproject Space Safari, and later with the duos Export Audio and D-Nox & Beckers. D-Nox & Beckers is undoubtedly the most successful of the projects so far though - even though Beckers had a huge hit in the scene with "Switch", later releases under the D-Nox & Beckers project has caused more interest on a broader scale, with tracks and remixes signed to major labels like Baroque, Vapour/VapouRise, Fresco, Electribe, Craft Music, Open Up, SOG and Boz Boz, but also labels like Iboga, Flow/Flow Vinyl and of course D-Nox' own imprints Plastik Park and Sprout has put out releases from the duo.

With that in mind, it's no surprise that the hype concerning their debut album "Left Behind" has been huge, so let's see if it delivers. The album is out in 2 versions - unmixed and mixed. I'll review the unmixed version.

01. D-Nox & Beckers - Left Behind [127 BPM]

"For your ears, for your mind. We've got something, left behind". The album starts with the title-track "Left Behind" - it starts with a short intro, the groove kicks in, and we're introduced to a male voice-sample with a hint of a German accent. After that it gradually builds up, throwing in a couple of funky electro-stabs but still keeping it quite cool and down to earth. Fine opening track.

02. D-Nox & Beckers - Stepout [127 BPM]

The intensity is kicked up a notch with "Stepout" - it's deeper and the groove is more pounding, but with a more minimal use of sounds and effects, at least in the first half. It builds up nicely though, and there is a fine break around the 2 minute mark before it ends without much drama. Ok track, but among the more anonymous on the entire album.

03. D-Nox & Beckers - Shanghigh [126 BPM]

With "Shanghigh" things get dramatically more interesting - this is one of the funkiest, most ass-shaking grooves the duo has ever produced, and the quirky bells and melodies make this one heck of a summer-groover. Minimal, techy and with a great deal of positive attitude - very nice!

04. Tignino & Leo feat. Mark Kerr - How Does It Feel (D-Nox & Beckers Remix) [126 BPM]

The groove from "Shanghigh" continues well into the remix of Daniele Tigino, Ottavio Leo and Mark Kerr's "How Does It Feel", but eases down to a more laidback, deep tech house. Some half-wispered male vocals gives it a slightly spooky feel, but just wait until the wacky groove kicks in. To me it sounds like something created by lab-monkeys in the year 2150 - highly creative stuff.

05. D-Nox & Beckers feat Hatfield - What Is Real [126 BPM]

Next the duo teams up with Leif Hatfield of Trancefeld fame, who Beckers also previously collaborated with on the Export Audio project. After a couple of deep and quite minimal tracks, "What Is Real" is more in the well-known D-Nox & Beckers style with sleazy and dancefloor friendly electro-house grooves and some very distinct male voice-samples. Great track - this'll be one of the favourites among DJ's this summer.

06. Hatfield & Beckers - Arnousa Day [128 BPM]

Hatfield is joining forces with Beckers again on "Arnousa Day", this time without D-Nox in the studio, but with a guy called Arno Sousa on vocals (hence the title). I had a hard time with the vocals the first time I heard this track, but it has certainly grown on me a lot - they have a certain quirky twist that makes them loveable, and the rocking, dynamic groove is more addictive than a can of cocaine-laced Pringles. Where as the first part of the album was quite club-oriented, I'm guessing this track will work particularly well in the outdoors - yet another highlight.

07. Beckers - Pick Up [128 BPM]

Beckers was alone in the studio on "Pick Up" - a very solid track, similar to some of the older material by the duo. Simple, straightforward and very positive electro-house, but in the context of this album, it doesn't stand out that much, being one of the least interesting tracks overall. On its own, I'm sure it'll do the trick very well though.

08. Wehbba - Xcllr8 (D-Nox & Beckers Remix) [129 BPM]

Up next is a remix of "Xcllr8" by the Brazilian electro producer Rodolfo Wehbba - previously released on a single on Craft Music. It's more laidback and deeper than the last couple of tunes, with a lovely positive atmosphere and beautiful, retrospective melodies. Blissful summer afternoon track.

09. D-Nox & Beckers - Changes [125 BPM]

The closing tune is "Changes", which was released right before the album on a single alongside "Shanghigh" - and boy does it close the album in style. This is definitely up there with my all-time favourite tunes by the duo; elegant and smooth progressive house with trance elements, gradually building up the hypnotic grooves and getting more and more blissful. Epic ending for a stunning album.

Bottom line:

The expectations for this one were enormous, and the two doesn't disappoint one bit. I'm guessing some fans of their older releases will be somewhat disappointed by the more minimal approach on this album, but to me it's an essential release, following the zeitgeist of the musical development in the scene, but giving it their own unique twist. If you are even remotely interested in the progressive/electro house scene, this is one of those releases you just can't miss this year, and my guess is that you won't, since the tracks from this album will be played to death at parties and festivals this summer and the months (and possibly also years) to come.

Yes, it's THAT good. Get it now.

Favourites:

3, 4 (!), 5(!), 6(!), 8(!), 9(!!)

Verdict:

9/10

Links:

D-Nox: http://www.d-nox.com

D-Nox @ Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/djdnox

Beckers @ Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/frankbeckers

Electribe: http://www.elec-tribe.com

Holy shit,

it's so very dam'n good! So playfull, groovy, intriguing, refreshing, funky, maximal, minimal...perfect.

Uh, very crunchy description Goannes, I am already drooling. :D

absolute brilliant :posford:

long time agoo I have heard such a fresh release containing very original influences,

they perfectly managed to create their own style...

heads off :)

Heads off ? Are you decapitator ? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I like it. For electronica in general I like it. It's melodic, quite groovy and playful at times, catchy, and totally experimental in a positive way I feel. Okay so sometimes it seems a little repetitive or too subtle for its own good. I like how the artists gradually deepen the progressive groove as the song moves forward. Tracks 1, 5, 6, 7 sound pretty cool to me.

View lengthy samples below in good quality. You can just stream a summary of the album by clicking the opening track and let it go...(!)

http://www.mutekki.de/mutekki/modules/news....php?storyid=42

However it isn't clear where to order this for those interested. I'm not familiar with the sites above for ordering and haven't used them before. This album doesn't appear on saiko or psyshop when I check either.

Guest antic

However it isn't clear where to order this for those interested. I'm not familiar with the sites above for ordering and haven't used them before. This album doesn't appear on saiko or psyshop when I check either.

You're drunk or something, Jon? ;):D

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/elc/elc1cd002.html

http://saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=6610

:unsure:

SBK played 2 tracks of them at 5 'o clock in the afternoon in the sunshine on the Rhakti Dei festival this weekend and once again I have to say "It kicked one fucking million arses!"

Oops! Thanks Antic! Indeed this album is available at both places. At saiko I typed in D-Nox as opposed to D-Nox and Beckers and different links appeared than that of this album. I must have spelt it wrong on psyshop. Now that was twice as dumb for me. :unsure:

I apparently wasn't focused at the time, under the influence of being unaware in the moment. ;):)

So yes and again to everyone, Samples:

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/elc/elc1cd002.html

http://saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=6610

• 4 weeks later...

D-Nox (Christian Wedekind) & Beckers (Frank Beckers) are 2 seasoned players in the Electronic music scene. Although their first steps can be cautiously called Psy Trance related (D-Nox as the person behind the success of Plastic Park, Tatsu and most recently Sprout Music and Frank Beckers behind his old alias, Space Safari, Export Audio and recently simply Beckers) their current output is very loosely Psy Trance related . Both of them are amongst the most stubborn infiltrators of the Progressive House and Minimal Techno into the Psy Trance scene, a crime that many dreadlocked party goers will swear to never forgive. For the rest of us mortals they brought many interesting directions into the somewhat stale lately Psy scene. Beckers’ Switch 12” was one of the biggest dust raisers in 2005 a surprising success of which was followed by a myriad of remixes ranging from excellent to simply horrible “replace the bassline and raise the BPM bar full-on remixes”. D-Nox in his turn became one of the most demanded DJ’s and became a top crowd pleaser in any respectable summer festival. The two at first collaborated on Air Bureau’s We Shine remix and soon afterwards released a few 12” hits, notably My Number One, You’re a Star, Memory Cell with Amo and Navas and Naked Punch.

With this album that followed the great success of the singles I am guessing they had 2 options. One is to continue their well established sound and release another album that will copy the hits and will staple their already prominent presence. The other and the harder option was to try to create something new. Luckily they have chosen the second option and attempted to create something more minimal, more abstract and deeper than anything they have created before. My first impressions from this album were quite disappointing to say the least. The album sounded like a bunch of loops that move along with no visible progression and on top of that a few tracks had some of the cheesiest vocals I have been exposed to since I have stopped listening to mainstream electronic music. But… for some reason I just couldn’t stop listening to it, little by little understanding the little things that actually evolve, the little but fat grooves and those typical German percussion tricks just made me want more. After few weeks of raping these tracks over and over I came to the inevitable and fair conclusion that this album is the shit, but not for everyone. This album has almost no connection to Psy Trance and as such this review’s appearance on Psynews is unusual to say the least and misplaced to be fair. Yet, since those guys’ music is a very frequent visitor in our parties and tracks from this album are already shaking the dancefloors as I type, this review shall appear here, and also shall be hailed as it is the best non Psy Trance album that you’ll probably be hearing in all the best parties this summer.

Favorites: All the tracks are bloody brilliant.

Recommendation: Get it from Beatport if you are a DJ and prefer the full tracks or from other online shops as a CD if you prefer the superbly mixed version.

PS, special thanks to Mr. Ventura for not resting till I liked the hell of it.

I liked this album, will just copypaste my comment from isratrance:

I will have to agree with traveler:

"Nothing radical, nothing special, nothing psychedelic.. but quality anyways!"

I'm sure there are guys doing this better - Extrawelt for example and they are not sticking to this psy-community, though they are the same guys that produce under Midi Miliz name. And that's imo plain stupid to sell this kind of stuff on psyshop and saiko, because this isn't their market - how much will they sell? 600-800 copies?

Now imagine all this 'minimal' scene and their markets.

Anyway, I like this album, but it became the soundtrack for the break up with my gf, so bad memories. Still it's top notch

• 3 months later...

I generally like the aesthetic of this album, the concise, funky and crunchy get-in-and-get-out-ness. It's also a lesson on interesting sound usage and phat production. But it ends up sounding formulaic after a few tracks, and they can only do the same thing so many times before it gets old. I also don't like Germans trying to sound ultra-stylish with English (the German language and a German accent make me cringe); so, minus points for the dialogue and singing, even if it does break up the monotony here and there. Take the best four tracks, make it an EP, and I'd give it a 9 or 10. As an album it doesn't quite hold up. Great DJ and dancefloor material, though, I'm sure. 6.75/10.

• 2 months later...

This album isn't actually an album. It seems like a collection of their collaborations, some of Beckers' tracks and some of their remixes, so it can't be considered as an album i think, it's more like the best of 2006-2007 singles.

But it's mixed and surely has some nice moments as for ELECTRO and TECHNO and not PSY-TRANCE.

• 2 months later...

Ah, the comfortability of progressive electronica. Coining the exact difference between psychedelic progressive trance, progressive house/trance and electro house may be quite the task – and a somewhat redundant one! – but label this any way you like. There are a couple of party stompers here.

So, has the psychedelic elements all but vanished on Left Behind? Well, yes. Clearly this appeals more to your average clubgoer with its’ slick electro house approach but myself a faithfull psychedelic follower I can still enjoy large chunks of Left Behind’s steady drive. Sure, the psychedelic crescendos of early Iboga Records aren’t lined up but, damnit, who needs them with this lush bass lines?!

And stil the many details throughout some of the tracks may create the extra layer that can supply a ticket to outer space for an openminded hippie. Let me reiterate. This isn’t in-your-face layer craziness by far but work with the beat, the held back aggressiveness and the many sections in each track and your mind should have a little something to wander away to too.

The biggest problem on Left Behind are the vocal sections. Even the great opener Left Behind offers a stupid vocal section but skip these and Left Behind is if nothing else a very pleasant journey aimed equally well for the club scene and your living room softly mixed as it comes.

Highly recommended for electro house followers and still a safe purchase for the openminded progressive psytrance follower.