7 Perhosiamaksassa

8 Listen Tomy Hooves

9 Sorry Reptoid

10 Weather Control

11 Turrikaner

12 Aamutakki [With the Flying Scorpians]

13 Tri You Oli

14 Heavenly Fruits

Mini-Review: This is amazing, blows your psy perceptions wide open. Covers every possible side of psytrance that it's possible to cover, and makes a load of new ones up at the same time. The production isn't overblown, over-mastered full-on Sytrus/Nord/Virus wankage, there are lots of unique sounds and leads that sound psy but are not the overused tat hundreds of other producers use. Nice to hear some Ozric-ian spacey big-beat type tunes such as Aishtemas, as well. And bonus points for the Dune sample on Chapora Sunrise. :clapping: I don't think I'll ever be able to write anything more coherent about this monstrous triple album. Just GET IT. (Chillingham Cheese is particularly outstanding, though.) If you like Classical Mushroom or Pog-o-matic Pogomen, you must hear this. :clapping:

Note: On the real discs there are 13 tracks on disc 2, and 15 on disc 3. As opposed to 14 on both, as the tracklist suggests. Hopefully someone from Tea Chairs or DmT Recs can clarify what happened here?

P.S. Turrikaner = jawsome.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, one thing about this album is that it doesn't have the ULTRA PRISTINE MASSIVELY LIMITED MORE TOP-END-THAN YOU REALLY NEED sound that most modern psy albums have. Caps because it gives me that much of a headache listening to these over-mastered releases. Tea Chairs - for yet another reason - is a breath of fresh air because it has a much warmer, softer sound than this.

Very amateurish in my opinion. The song structures just seems sloppy to me and the production is mediocre at best. Talk about quantity over quality.

Yes, it sounds like you're expecting 8-minute tracks that build and breakdown the same way as thousands of other psy tunes. But no, Tim likes to *sharp breathe in* break this desperately-needed-breaking mould. Some of the best tunes on here are 3 minutes (Turrikaner :D ).

I like it!

Interesting experimental stuff at times. Really melodic & beautiful at times.

You might say it sounds amateurish but with so many the professionals making uninspired, boring identi-kit crap is that really a bad thing?

Some of the best tunes on here are 3 minutes (Turrikaner :D ).

Turrikaner is based on the theme of Turrican, originally a game for the amiga. If you like this one you might want to check out Chris Hülsbeck - Turrican Soundtrack. He composed the original music and this CD contains more elborate versions of it, great stuff imo.

I know, I know. That's why I love it. And why it's such a highlight: an instantly memorable, fun lead melody. Hülsbeck created some great game soundtracks! Lucky for PC owners they kept the original TFMX modules for the PC port of Turrican 2. :)

Top stuff I gather, from the tunes that everyone has from slsk.

My copy is still in the mail, I´ll try to make a full review later on.

longlolstar : glass cheeks for you, mate?

First impression : GOOD!

Well this is a huge release (3 CDs) so not easy to digest and get around (which is a good thing, meaning there is a lot of stuff to discover :P ), but what I can definitly conclude is that it is filled with weird crazy ideas :)

Maybe its not all gonna go straight down the hatch, might not like some tracks, but then its not meant to please all people, and thats the beauty about it :D When u get a 38-course meal there might be some u will just slip by, while others might feast on it! Great ain't it?

But I need to digest some more to get some more sense out of it :blink:

I love his style...specially the acid sharp sounds!

The remix of Tzump-In is wicked i absolutelly adore the melody its from the movie eyes wide shut with tom cruise, in the part when they do the ritual right before the orgy :lol: ...notice the name of the next track- cruise wide open :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

This album is brilliant! Hopefully with be recognized as that by many and considered a classic...

Thoroughly wierd and twisted, colorful, melodic, harmonious and beautiful electronica - well put together stuff, despite the sheer number of short tracks - it's very weird but without the "wank" factor I tend to associate with this genre - in other words, it's weird, it's twisted, but it's all very catchy and in general just fuckin' rocks...

The album just oozes with creativity and inpspiration... Zany as all... Properly psychedelic... So many ideas here... Don't dig a few of the tracks but hey, there's 3 whole CD's so that's to be expected...

Psychedelic music for people with short attentiion spans too - if you want it twisted and you want it awesome and you want it sounding that way right fucking *now* then this is a great album for you!

• 5 months later...

Posted Image

Tea Chairs

Tea Chairs

Demon Tea Recordings

Tracklist

Disc 1

1 MentalMetalSnakeSnack

2 O Kiinni

3 Light Utility Vehicle

4 Chillingham Cheese

5 Lankey Love Herz

6 Mondo Suzuki Omnigod

7 Eye Shit On Acid

8 Mondo Suzuki Omnigod (TazManiac Rmx)

9 Mt. Wellington Rock

10 Aishtemas

Disc 2

1 Demon Tree

2 Pandanus Spiralis

3 Fuckin’ Alien

4 Playing With Colour

5 Beverages

6 Silver Wasp

7 BUST (find the drugz)

8 Bargrynder

9 Tzump-In (Chairs Rmx)

10 Cruise Wide Open

11 Friend Til’ The End

12 Chapora Sunrise

13 The Spice Deep-end-dance

14 20000 Camel Bride

Disc 3

1 Microscopic Retails

2 Tube U Want Tube U Get

3 Returnofthepaluu

4 Type Of Cheese in Your Bum

5 Weak Structures

6 Daves JewJew

7 Perhosiamaksassa

8 Listen Tomy Hooves

9 Sorry Reptoid

10 Weather Control

11 Turrikaner

12 Aamutakki [With the Flying Scorpians]

13 Tri You Oli

14 Heavenly Fruits

15 Untitled (Hidden Track)

A 3CD release is quite a gutsy move. Especially when you are talking about a style of music that is pretty insane. Listening to all 3 CDs in a row might make your brain go all funny. This was the first & only thing I have heard from Tea Chairs but I thought I'd buy it as it had a great cover making me think the music would be fucked up weirdness. Which it is :D An epic journey into madness is what we've got here & if you are not strong in the head you might regret listening to all 3 CDs in a row.

Disc 1

We start this epic journey with MentalMetalSnakeSnack an acidic track that really makes your brain want to explode with it's craziness. Really weird experiMENTAL stuff with a warbling sound that attacks the senses. This is really out there in the insanity stakes. Not for the weak headed people of the world.

The sample at the start of O Kiinni reverberates through my mind and makes space for the crunchy beat, a little slower than the previous track. Not quite as fucked up as MentalMetalSnakeSnack but it has a weird suomi feel to the nutiness. And that sample is well trippy.

Light Utility Vehicle starts with a pretty annoying druggie sample that grates a little on repeated listens but it's pretty reflective of the rest of the track. Not as crazy as most of the other tracks with a really annoying bleepy sound in the first half. When that goes though we get more interesting & deep atmosphere. A few sci fi noises try & give it a weird edge but it's a little too normal in the end.

A more structured track in Chillingham Cheese with a great melody that just oozes the seratonin out of my glands & into my head. The spacey sci fi B-movie sounds add a tripped out weirdness of it. The melody in the final run is so mind blowing, sound like something played on an old Atari but the tune is really beautiful. Very nostalgic and the the weirdness level is kept up with the twisted moans calling through the edge of reality trying to drag you deep down into their dimension. Trippy!

Lankey Love Herz is more energetic with an OLD SFX style sample that sounds like it's trying to be from Star Wars. Not the best sample I've heard, a little on the dark cheesy side. The rest of the track is pretty good though with what sound like harpsichord & nice beats.

Back with the weirdness, Mondo Suzuki Omnigod is high octane mental craziness from the dimension of pure chaos. Great sounds, great beats. The sort of track I'd probably have to leave the dancefloor when it comes on due to my brain melting.

Eye Shit On Acid sees the foot eased off the pedal in the energy stakes but the mentality is kept at the I've taken too much acid level. Unfortunately the breakdown is not to my liking with some annoying sound leading in to extremely broken beats. One thing I am not a fan of is broken beats, they hurt my head as does the 2nd half of this track.

The strings at the start of Mondo Suzuki Omnigod (TazManiac Rmx) make me think it's going to be a melancholic track. It does feel more asian than the original 2 tracks earlier with a more dreamy feel to it. When the strings come back they are twisted as is every other element her. The song moves around the room like a headless chicken. No idea where it's going but fun to watch. Especially the melody at the end. Weird nonsensical madness.

Mt. Wellington Rock has a melody that runs up & down the stairwells of my mind. Up & Down, Up & Down but on the apex of one trip the sample pushes me down the stairs cracking my head open & letting the monsters creep in.

CD1 ends with Aishtemas which sounds like it's ready to explode. This acidic reactor core that is reaching critical mass. The beats are slow but I get the feeling it's going to kick of at any time. It never does kick off beat wise though but the fucked up sounds just keep building & building until my brain can't take anymore & just lets out one big brain fart of happiness.

Disc 2

Demon Tree kicks off the second disc in fine style. Reminiscent of Luomuhappo's style in Pog-o-matic Pogomen 3000000. Nice pace & the melody could have been on that album. i half expect the madness can be the greatest of blessings sample to come in at any moment.

Pandanus Spiralis picks up the pace with a nice squelchy beat, crunchy synths & another familiar melody. Pretty nice but It's missing the craziness.

The spacey atmosphere attempted on Fuckin’ Alien is pretty good. Imagine a party on a distant world with aliens trippin' out to this. The sample is shit & I'd rather not have it. I wonder if non-native English speakers understand how swear words sound in the native English ear. Cringeworthy. Maybe they don't care. The sample is only in it twice though so overall it's a pretty good track

Playing With Colour is a quality track through and through. Good melodies, great old school synth lines & a bassline that hums a happy tune. One of the best on the whole 3 disc album in my humble opinion, just a shame it's so short.

I like Beverages, it has lots of acid running through it. The main melody is drippy with it. It has a soft metallic edge to it & the beats work well to hide the sample so your brain has to strain a little to hear it leaving a gap in your defenses for the music to invade & make you mind go bonkers.

The bassline in Silver Wasp is the best yet on the album. It really drives the track & with a parallel synth line it creates a lot of energy. No real melody but melodious sounds play over & over again & due to the bassline sound like they have formed a melody your brain can mong a long to.

BUST (find the drugz) has a twisted vocal that runs through the track. It brings the insanity level back up where I want. Cool freaky fucked experiMENTAL music. The keyboard melody also adds a normal touch to the festivities.

Bargrynder starts with a big atmospheric synth drone moving up & up like a melody but when the main melody comes in it manages to feel like medieval England. The beats are tribal & the sounds are sci fi weirdness. All combine to make no sense at all. I love it.

Tzump-In (Chairs Rmx) is a remix of a Weird Alchemy track which I have never heard so I can not compare the two. This one though is a dark fucked up track. Well structured & driving with an edge of Necromantic psychedelia. A very strong track all round with the melody trying to counter the darker more twisted sounds & the hints of strings at some parts.

Back to the nice fluffy tripping style with Cruise Wide Open. Light sounds & an old school rave melody. This really sounds like it belongs in the early 1990's but with the ever present Tea Chairs weirdness giving it that extra something to distinguish itself from the that time, oh & the modern production.

The melodies are light a bouncy in Friend Til’ The End and the whole track just makes me want to move. Add some chunky psychedelia, stir, wait for minutes & serve.

Chapora Sunrise is a funkier piece with a melody that feels like I should be riding down a highway following the coast at top speed on a motorbike with some hottie clinging to the back. The Dune sample talking about the spice navigators is a bit weird & being that the track names all seem fucked up on the CD label I would guess the second half of this track is The Spice Deep-end-dance as the style is very different, crazier & spacier than the start. Not sure but it would leave way for the final track actually being 20000 Camel Bride which is halfway between the rave scene & our modern fucked up psy. The melody & beat dribble psychedelic goodness into my ear.

Disc 3

Steven Hawkins starts us off with a sample at the start of Microscopic Retails which is a harder track than anything on the 1st 2 CDs. Harder sounds & a stronger beat but with some nice touches of melody in it. High octane racing music for drugged up racers

Sticking with the harder feel Tube U Want Tube U Get is a bouncier track with slick beats and dropping acid lines all over the place. A subtle melody gives a dark edge of mystery making this track pretty damn nice.

Returnofthepaluuis a little more breaksy with some vocals that I can't quite make out. Something power. Not sure what the paluu is or why it has returned or why that is important. It is a decent enough track but nothing special.

The prize for stupidest track name of the year could be going to Type Of Cheese in Your Bum which turns out to be a sample ridden track which is really really annoying. Sounds of a guy screaming are too loud & unnecessary. The twisted sounds behind the samples & the melody though are really good. But samples have never been my favourite thing in Psy.

Weak Structures doesn't seem to have control of itself. It gets louder & softer throughout the track without anyone pissing about with the volume. Other EQ levels seem to be a bit messed up & it all leads to it often sounding a little unpleasant. I like weird & messed up music but experimental just for the sake of it I don't. Experiment but through the rejects away.

Daves JewJew has a bizarre name & a guy hiccups through it which is pretty strange but then that is the name of the game. As strange goes though it works pretty well making me smile rather than cringe. It actually sounds like 2 tracks mixed together with the second half sounding little like the first & the transition being quite noticeable. The second half is just as bonkers as the first with a bassline grounding it in normality rather letting it fly away into the immaterial universe.

Perhosiamaksassa is a little more normal but then that's not hard following from Daves JewJew A steady beat & random background noises is pretty much all you get until the last 2 and a half minutes where we get some nice melody & the track just kicks off in alienesque spacey weirdness.

The fucked up samples in Listen Tomy Hooves is meant to be a horse I take it. But this is one brain fuck of a horse. The sort that will take you to candy mountain & let you be eaten by the trolls guarding the bridge. Wait...what? Nice synth line. This is some messed us stuff, I mean real fucking brain mashing stuff. It grabs your cerebrum & mashes it into a little pulp. I like it but am quite glad when it's over. Thankfully short.

Going into Sorry Reptoid I breathe a sigh of relieve as the insanity level is brought back to manageable levels. As I attempt to find the remnants of my brain now in a puddle on the floor to disect this track. Nice melodies, strong beats, lots of energy & psychedelic but not overly strange.

Weather Control actually manages to sound like weather. I can here precipitation, clouds & sunshine in there as well as wind. Non of these are sampled it's just the feeling I get from the melody, atmosphere, bassline & beats respectively. Oddness.

Turrikaner has a melody from an old computer game I had on the Amiga. Turrican I think the game was & I remember many a day playing that & hearing that melody. A gutsy move indeed as anything so old in a 2007 track has the danger of just sounding shit but it works here. Very cool, makes me want to play video games.

Posted Image

Especially this one

Aamutakki with the Flying Scorpians is a decent enough piece of music but nothing special. Nice melodies & overall feel but a little on the boring side. The crazy level seems to have dropped too much.

Tri You Oli has dropped the pace a bit more to a nice bouncy pace, enjoyable acidic melodies & weird twisted vocals sound halfway between song and painful screaming.

Heavenly Fruits

The acid riffs in this are indeed heavenly & the melody is fruity. A nice track with some different sounds coming from all directions. It at once sounds medieval & modern as well as alien & future Terran. Odd ending to the album.

Oh but wait, the is a hidden track. Well not particularly well hidden just untitled & not included on the tracklist. A good ending though. Very chunky beats & the melody is really cool. I may be writing this over Christmas but the melody does have a festive feel to it. That with lots of spacey sounds make a great track. Top notch ending.

Well, there is a lot of music here & with so much there are always going to be tracks that people don't like. There are much more good or better tracks though than the weak ones so if you are a fan of crazy experimental psy that sounds like you are quickly going insane then pick this up.

• 1 month later...

What it all comes down to is that I quite liked Tea Chairs. I find the album entertaining, versatile, with enough going on to keep my interest on a steady level throughout the extensive 3 CD marathon.

However, my beef with this one is that if you were to ask me, I could not point out the stand outs. Likeweise, even with a Magnum pointed to my temple I would not be able to tell you which tracks qualify as skip material. Noth that I remember skipping any, but... You get the point.

38 tracks spanning across 3 CDs is a task hard to match and out do for anybody. The Texas Fagsies dudes pulled it off quite nicely. But sometimes "nicely" is not quite up there with my expectations. None of the tracks are sensational, but none are utter crap either. The whole bunch leaves me satisfied, but once the running time is over, I don't recall a single track stuck in my head. You know, one of those albums that'll have you saying "cool" after each listen, but won't send you orbiting around Milky Way.

To conclude, you get quality material no doubt. Purchase validated for all fans of suomi flavored trance. The 3xCD digipak is a treat on its own, and the music doesn't fall far behind. Classic material it is not, but a more than worthy continuation of the fairly impressive Demon Tea Recordings legacy.

some killer, too much filler :)

would've been essential if they'd taken the best tracks and released on 1 cd.

This release non with standing, you are such a noncommittal fucknut.

Like the stuff you were spouting some time ago how one shouldn't judge any music etc.. did someone lace you beer with speed huh? intellectual turd.

This release non with standing, you are such a noncommittal fucknut.

Like the stuff you were spouting some time ago how one shouldn't judge any music etc.. did someone lace you beer with speed huh? intellectual turd.

My preferences change constantly.

Please use PM in finnish and I can continue whatever you're on about.

• 1 year later...

These guys are geniuses. I can't believe I thought until recently this style of psy was just noise. Aside from *The Simon* (Posford) Tim Thick is easily the most innovative artist in psytrance.

This stuff is unreal. I'm just completely, utterly floored but how brilliant this is.

"Can you hear the funny sound? Can you hear the funny sound? It's my hooves!"

[edited later to remove gratuitous profanity]