Aerosis - Peyota Quota [ full track ]

Aerosis

Posted Image

The following track is something myself and Jeremy have poured lots of effort and energy into and in return gotten alot of thrilling new sounds. We've worked on the track in spurts, the first concept of which originated in late January, more or less the last two weeks I've been completing the track.

Peyota Quota is an auditory landscape the I think breaks alot of ground, the track is basically done and polished and ready for release, but since there isn't a goa trance compilation due in the near future - I've got some time and so I'll put this up for a while to get some feedback - gives me an opportunity to polish the track 110%

Here it is

Aerosis - Peyota Quota 142BPM, an exotically flavored fully layered mystical goa track. Headphones recommended for full stereo experience ;) :drama:

The track is not yet mastered and has yet to see its final high quality version (but that copy, will be saved for the labels :P )

Tell me what you think of it!

Guest Cosmogenesis

Bobby, my friend, I will listen now the entire new version of "peyota quota" and deliver tonight a constructive feedback for it here. You know already my opinion about it and where the track HAS to appear!! :D:P

Quite alright I would say.

I don't find anything memorable in this track though. Lots of synths yes, but there aren't any meaningful melodies that would stay in my head or make the track sound unique in some way.

Awesome track. It does exactly what I think a goa track should...puts you in a state of mind, "entrances" you, and forces you to crack a smile. While I would agree that there is not one chief melody, I believe that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. ;) This track did not bore me in the least.

Long live goa, and I eagerly await the Aerosis debut album.

Mdk

Hmm well this track is well made soundwise, the sounds are typical goa ones but in my opinion it is like im waiting for the track to reach something a climax but it doesnt happen it just keeps going and going in the same direction, my advice would be to make some melodies that "talk" let them tell a story let them interact with eachother revealing more and more intricate melodies on the end of the track.

Try to imagine it on a dancefloor people wanna freak out and fly ;-)

Good luck and keep working on it.

Regards

Diaks

Nice track. More melodic than the promo that was posted here a while ago. I think the track should be built more around the slow melodies, because they are the nice ones... but its also a nice track the way it is now.

Digi

im listening to it as we speak ... nice smooth start .. the goa factor is noticeable from very early on in the track .. elements mix and match with each other in a nice melting pot of bass effects and melody...i really digg the part around 4:30 onwards .. nice exotic flavour to it ;)

After lissening to the entire thing what I feel is that the punch is missing ,, i see it heading somewhere but that somewhere is almost left to ones imagination. (there is no real climax) what my suggestion is try and make the base sound tighter harder if you want this track to be really outstanding since i can feel it you have worked really hard on putting together a more than good attempt. but like you said its not mastered yet so maybe what im suggesting gets covered up in the mastering :)

cheers

Guest Cosmogenesis

Ok, after some listenings, here we go for my review:

First of all, I already heard the original first version a few months ago, and I have to say that I'm very impressed by the new and spectacular developpments you added both you, Bobby & Jeremy, to the track.

So, I'm speechless considering the new result. The track is very very detailed, lot of fluid FX and superimposed melodies very well arranged and correctly mixed together (and that's not an easy work to do!), the sound quality is really high quality, developped in a 3D mode, giving me a fresh vision of something who sounds new to my ear concerning the feeling and structure of the track which is kinda progressive (the mixture of progressive/goa influences is original & interesting as approach!!) Technically and emotionally, it's a great performance you accomplish there. Of course, we could have some "déjà-vu" visions of some Dimension 5 & Electron Wave elements while listening to the track, but the truth is that its direction isn't definitely the same as those great old projects and on the contrary, looks like a proof of a very closed personal style = aerosis style. :)

Now about my advices for "Peyota Quota", since it's the main goal of a constructive feedback ( :P ), I would rather agree with the previous feedback of the members saying that it lacks maybe some punch in some crucial parts of the track. It sounds sometimes a bit like a non-stop homogenic massive flow because the different sequences aren't so distinguished each others. I know that it's probably intentional because it's probably an unevitable consequence of the "progressive" building you used for the track, but the breaks and the transitions need to be more emphasized according to me in order to sound more punchy. The fact is that the goa listeners are often used to follow a traditional story-teller line through the movements of the main melodic leads, that's why it could be maybe better to give more importance/ relief to the different rhythmic variations of the track, especially to the interesting play with the basslines/kick you're using.

I share the point of view that this can be solved probably with the mastering, more volume for ex to the main leads when they enter and putting a bit more on the back the FX and layers. Maybe this could help you to make this already solid track more effective. :)

And my final word is that this track deserves to be released in a real label for the obvious reasons I already explained you. We are to realize that we're in 2007 : of course we can keep the basis of a 95-96 feeling which is important to create the "trance vision and effect", but technically, empty tracks with only two or three melodies mean much more like a regression than an evolution nowadays. That's why goa needs IMO to move forward with more developped and savant music like yourz. Congrats both you guys and keep up the excellent work. :)

looks like a proof of a very closed personal style = aerosis style.

Ah now this is trully someone who knows how to look into and read music. Its hard for me to imagine how other people react to and hear the track, but in do see clearly now that my flavor can be a degree different from what people are expecting.

Perhaps I can best shed light on what elements I like to emphasis in a track - for one I've been noting and keeping in mind things I didn't like in older classical tracks - namely repetition or predictable build ups. This is the formula for 90% of psy and goa tracks: 1 minute intro, 2 minute build up sequence introducing the main rythm and melodies, 1 minute break...like a "quit before the storm", or a "breath before the dive" ;) (as I call it) section - rapid snares, kicks, fx, etc, a crash and then a 2 minute climax which is often the same as the first build up but with 1 more melody layer on top, followed by a quick getaway 1 minute outtro which builds down all the songs systems and then leaves you with 30 seconds of kicks and bullshit that I don't care to listen for, which everyone is used to but forget that is only there to make the music mixable for DJs.

The other thing is repetition in melodies and basslines - these are one of the things that drive non-electronica people away from the genre, with Aerosis one of the visions I have is to offer a never ending flux of new sound, everything comes and goes and takes off - I don't build down so much as shift direction, I don't linger giving people a chance to catch their breath, instead I open their eyes and put them into a trance until they find themselves stomping again.

These all ofcourse are ideals and whether its effective or not is up to the audience to decide - the track here, peyota quota, is structured in this way layered over 3 distinct sections of the track - a begginning, middle, and end of the journey. The linkds between, I want to give the impression that anything can happen...borrowing inspiration from the psychedelic vision I want to show people that their world [of sound] has no limit to what it can show you or where it can take you. By predicting what will happen with the track or what melodies will still be playing 4 minutes from now this effect is lost - the dynamic trance isn't maintained and instead people fall into a mechanistic trance - i.e. any "trance" you reach when listening to rythmic percussive music (modern psytrance) rather than melodic music.

So depending on what kind of climax you are looking for, you all will have different responses. Some will hear a climax preceded by an intro at the conundrum of every new melody, others will be expecting that 2 minute jam of the same stuff as before + 1 more melody that is typical of the original goa tracks. Now I try to maintain this element none the less and it is there for the dancefloors, but overall predictability translates as boredom for me and all I can say is I try to keep my tracks moving at all times - you may dance as much as you like, its encouraged - but the trips the tracks will take you on are within your mind rather than upon the dancefloor.

BTW, I do just want to say these are my 2 cents and some ideas on music theory - my goals here are revealed, but I am neither saying which is right or wrong nor saying "if you listen to my music this is what you must listen for" - you all have the freedom to dislike this as much as you want for straying from that classical formula - at the same time I have noted that this is not something I can escape if I still wish to stay in the genre and will brainstorm accordingly about how I could bring this out more effectively to let people enjoy the idea of goa trance they have as well as the idea of goa trance I have.

The other thing is that I'm feeling pretty good about some of the things people are saying here - Jeremy has a hefty tallent (which surpasses mine) to weave melodies - its up to me to make the final production and stretch 3-4 minutes into 7-9, but jeremy has masterminded the basic feel to each track through inventing the melodies - I simply am the one that breaths life into them and decides the journey they will go upon. Some of the newer material Jeremy has put out should appeal much more to people - they truelly are dynamic melodic stories - on myspace you can sample a sketch from one track , here lies everland to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

The last thing is ofcourse..Thank you all so much for promptly leasing your ear out and giving me some timely feedback and suggestions - its never until this stage that I can complete how I feel about a track and note which elements I should focus on bettering for the next one.

I have to agree with some thoughts, you wait for something but you don't get it. As for 'telling stories' this one also doesn't reach my expectations.

You see, when hearing a story, afterwards you know what the story was about, here I don't. Though as a dj tool, this track would work pretty good at certain points of a set.

I like your approach towards new formulas, but I have to say you haven't found it yet and I'm sure you will! :)

I just love the form, you have to work a bit more on the content. Good luck, guys!

UPD After continuous listens I liked it better. Can you please write me: amphiton(a)gmail.com ? I don't like PMs on forums :/

Hmm well this track is well made soundwise, the sounds are typical goa ones but in my opinion it is like im waiting for the track to reach something a climax but it doesnt happen it just keeps going and going in the same direction, my advice would be to make some melodies that "talk" let them tell a story let them interact with eachother revealing more and more intricate melodies on the end of the track.

Try to imagine it on a dancefloor people wanna freak out and fly ;-)

After lissening to the entire thing what I feel is that the punch is missing ,, i see it heading somewhere but that somewhere is almost left to ones imagination. (there is no real climax) what my suggestion is try and make the base sound tighter harder if you want this track to be really outstanding since i can feel it you have worked really hard on putting together a more than good attempt.

After lissening to the entire thing what I feel is that the punch is missing ,, i see it heading somewhere but that somewhere is almost left to ones imagination. (there is no real climax) what my suggestion is try and make the base sound tighter harder if you want this track to be really outstanding since i can feel it you have worked really hard on putting together a more than good attempt.

AEROSIS - PEYOTE QUOTA (SONG)

Review

All of the above comments are very connected and well described to the weakness on Peyota Quota. When listening to this as a teaser, the short version on Aerosis Myspace page I had a piece of the song to critique. With the entire version, which is a pretty good track in a style that really showcases the uniqueness of Aerosis, I understand what some people have explained, the general concensus above.

On the plus side, this is a real Goa song. It's smooth and warm with layers of pretty, lush melodies. The fusion of sounds can be described as beautiful. There is also a sustained melody that works very well with the melody braids. The transition is pretty good and the overall song involves few added sounds/enhancements into the second half. This is a traveling song. It isn't attempting to explode like your typical psytrance track on the dance floor. The track continues it's smooth path thoughout. The transition adds a nice touch, gently separates things without going off course. There is a nice melody and alteration change up just after 6:00 and another around 6:33 which is good before the initial sustained harmony sound appears again around 7:00. All of this connects it together quite well. There is such a nice, juicy combination of melodies, the rhythm created is very pleasent, maybe even ethnic flavored. I love elements in this song, the fusion of melodies, the unique, original sound.

The problem or argument is that at nearly 9:00 minutes long, Peyota Quota loses allure and depth because it doesn't evolve enough past the 6:58 mark. It lacks something which could end the song in a powerful, amazing(!) way. The track becomes dependent on the good melodies/sound it initially began with and simply continues it through the end with such little addiction you'd barely notice. There isn't enough variety and invention to push it into greatness by the end regardless that the overall sound they have going here is good or great. Hearing it multiple (6-10) times as an entire track, I too feel like the song is moving towards something it never reaches. A second version of this song which lifts off, ignites in the last fourth or so to an amazing build up into a smashing kingdom of sounds climax, a powerful rush of spirit and explosion into the next level while in climactic form could this song very powerful and memorable. I think with some technical insight and direction from certain aware psy/goa people associated, this song could be what many consider great as a whole. This original version is currently a good Goa-Trance song with much flavor, catchy melodies, and some feeling. I'd love to see this song reach heaven in the end, should the artist attempt this. I think a good point to build or begin the morph and evolution is soon after the skipping at aroun 6:58. This space from 6:58 to the end can be replaced with something stunning. The quick da-da-da melody from 8:06 to 8:30 is forgettable. I know these artists have spent alot of time and devotion into making this song. Part of them probably feels it's near complete with mastering and little more. In a sense they're right! And I think some attention and further insight in the last few minutes this sweet Goa-Trance song can be turned into their best one yet.

In conclusion, Peyota Quota doesn't cop out with a cheap climax in the end, but something more satisfying after we've traveled with the song for six or so minutes could be very special, catchy and conclusive if the artists somehow managed to make it happen. Something climactic and stunning could compliment this song if done in an imaginative, clever way, while giving it a boost of energy for dancing or in making the track more powerful as it progresses. This is just an idea. There is something very peaceful and traveling about this song. It's good. In a sense, it feels complete. I like it and I'm open minded to hearing any further touch-ups or variations considering it's already won my attention.

B

Update: (May 26th, 2007)

Listen to Djaningar on the Corolle album by Khetzal from 6:18 to forward. The tempo really changes and lifts up. The entire song becomes climactic but it doesn't sell out to some cheap club trance sound. It retains the Goa spirit, energy, and sounds. This final two or so minutes evolve into a great final which compliments everything I heard before it. The idea of a climax may not be original but neither is the idea of a pretty goatrance song, you know? You take an idea and get seriously imaginative and creative with it, if it works out. There are no rules. Experimenting and impressing others is fun. Set this beautiful water fountain on fire if you will...just don't take away its spirit or core beauty. I mean, have a beautiful, stunning ending that integrates into the song and takes control while complimenting everything that took place before. Bring it to the next level if possible, an ending that is gorgeous, intoxicating, and unforgettable. Peyota Quota! :drama:

I have to give it to you, the song is simply amazing beautifuly done.

it is a very unique sound...I wont crit, because it is the same thing as people have said it is just the ending that gets me, I am waiting for that next level & it is not there

Since the feedback is unanimous, me and jeremy will think about how to change the last couple of minutes of the track to live up to the rest of the track, if there are any suggestions in particular I would be glad to hear them, thank you all :) By my logic I'll be focusing on placing a strategic climax from 7 through 8 minutes, which is where I believe I am loosing people on the track.

- Bobby