Which psytrance sub-genre can't you stand?

tamlin

Psytrance sub-genres  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Which can't you stand?

• Goa
    • Progressive
    • Fullon
    • Tech
    • Dark
    • Suomi
    • All of the above (I don't like psytrance)
    • Something not in this list
    • I love it all! (or at least I don't hate any of it)

It seems to me that many people that are into psytrance have one specific subgenre which they generally just can't stand to listen to and have no respect for whatsoever. For instance, a lot of people seem to think that it's pretty much an insult to call something Fullon. Others can't stand listening to anything with a typical Goa sound.. Etc.

I think it would be kinda interesting so see how many people we have in these different camps here on Psynews, and which of these sub-genres is the most dispised.

Since we all have our own ideas on what constitutes these styles, I will give some example of what I have in mind with the different choices in the list:

1. Goa: Suntrip stuff, Filteria, Astral, oldschool stuff..

2. Progressive: Iboga stuff, etc..

3. Fullon: Well, you know..

4. Tech: Midi Miliz, Spirallianz, Whizzy noise, The Delta, etc..

5. Dark: Derango, Penta, typical Russian sound, etc..

6. Suomi: Well, you know..

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted "at least I don't hate any of it". I considered voting progressive, but I don't hate it, I just find it pretty boring. Most fullon is absolute shit but there are a few really good acts IMO.

I like it all, well some more than others.

It also depends on each track & Artist... they differ at times, so my tastes vary as well.

;)

housy electro - Progressive

dull full on

the uber fast dark (psycore) which is growing in popularity pretty damn fast...

Ah, I forgot about those. :rolleyes:

I really can't stand the almost Jungle style Psycore, like Anoebis mentioned.

Way too fast and to me it's just loud noise. I can't understand it.

That's just me though... :P

Hate is such a strong word that I don't like to use it when it comes to music but the sub-genre I dislike the most is for sure minimal psy. I got quite fond of minimal techno (at least some of it) but minimal psy is just way to boring and monotone for me. I didn't like it when it was big back in 2000 and I also strongly dislike the few new releases that I've heard. It's just not my thing, no wonder how good the production might be or how talented the artists are.

'Dark' Psy definitely, unintelligible monotonous with random noises thrown on top of a static bassline. Though i haven't heard a lot so there might be exceptions. The only dark psy i heard that i liked was Electrypnose & i don't even know if he can be categorized as a dark psy artist..

Hard to choose only one option. There are tons of shitty mindless repetitive full-on and dark, but some releases are brilliant. Progressive is more often boring than not.

But that's the problem in any genre, 98% released is mainstream bullshit.

But if I had to choose, it would be full-on for holding the record of most identical albums. :)

I voted "at least I don't hate any of it". I considered voting progressive, but I don't hate it, I just find it pretty boring. Most fullon is absolute shit but there are a few really good acts IMO.

I like it all, well some more than others.

It also depends on each track & Artist... they differ at times, so my tastes vary as well.

;)

+1

I don't hate any genre just most artists in certain genres (fullon, dark) but there are some quality releases is every genre. Yes even fullon :D

israeli full on with those cheesy melodies and some dark psy which causes an immediate headache.

Some dark psy producers realy dont have a clue about how to make music

i dont want to mention names.

A soup without melodies aint a good soup ;-)

Ahh, wisely put!

;)

Dark Psy, Forest, Israeli Full On and Mel Gibson

:lol:.......... :blink:.......... :lol:

Guest The Journey Man Project

I really don't mind any... sure there are good and bad releases... but it all depends on my mood... I think the worst thing about this scene is shitty negative discussion like this that just bring negative vibes and payout on the artists... I'd like to see half of you come up with ahalf decent track :lol: otherwise you opinion is a :wank:

i don't like the electro prog stuff, or the gabba dark stuff, or the eurotrance cheese fest full-on stuff, but apart from that it's all good. trouble is, that is most of it these days ;)

I think this poll is turning out pretty much as I suspected it would, with Fullon in the lead followed by Dark.. However, I was hoping that "I love it all" would win. :unsure:

I think the worst thing about this scene is shitty negative discussion like this that just bring negative vibes and payout on the artists... I'd like to see half of you come up with ahalf decent track :lol: otherwise you opinion is a :wank:

The WORST thing? Really? I can definitely think of worse things than people having an opinion. =P

Don't take it too seriously, these are just opinions after all and everyone has one. Also I think it's interesting and healthy to know what people are biased against. Expressing negative opinions doesn't make them stronger or more real, just a bit more concrete so we can look at them, relate to them, and deal with them. Instead of just having them lurk around in the back of everyones head and seeping out in more subtle forms that could eventually do more harm than facing them head on.

Maybe i'm over-analyzing and over-philosophizing... :rolleyes:

I just don't think it's such a bad thing to discuss a topic like this.

Oh, and since such a small percentage of the population actually are musicians, if only musicians were entitled to an opinion as to what they think sounds good or not, then this forum would be very quiet. ;)

Actually, I even remember someone here having the exact opposite opinion; that it's wrong for artists to criticize other artists.