MIDI sequencing question

Let me start off by trying to explain how I learned to sequence then to the question.

The first keyboard/synth I bought was a Yamaha W7. It was what is called a music workstation because you could compose as well as sculpt custom sounds.

It was what tought me about music. Almost from the beginning I would sequence using step entry.

It had buttons on the side of an lcd screen with notes on them, one for 1/8th note, one for 1/4 note etc.

On the lcd it had a measure, I mostly used 4/4, but you had many options...

I would play the keyboard until I heard something I liked then write or remember the order so that I could step them one-by-one into a midi sequence.

I looped alot but it was slow-going because it was trial and error on the time of each note.

The thing is I liked having a button for each note and not having to drag a bar in a graph and pull it each time.

Also, having just one measure on screen at a time was sort of nice because I could concentrate on detail more.

I had Logic 4 years ago and I hated it. It sucked my creativity away.

The question is : is there a DAW with note entry in this easy-to-use format so I can midi sequence my new little phatty.

I want the best, but I also need to not have to think about the software so I can create.

And fruityloops

I've used fruity loops for years and I've never seen anything with note entry.

It was designed as a loop sequencer emulating classic 303ish sequencing and it is the best at that but I want musical bars.

I also want to record simultaneously while playing midi notes etc....

I will give Sonar a look now, thanks for the response!

Pretty much every MIDI sequencer will have a step-record option.

They all do yes, but not with a separate key for each note length in a midi sequence.

Interface is about more then just clicking a mouse.

I've used fruity loops for years and I've never seen anything with note entry.

It was designed as a loop sequencer emulating classic 303ish sequencing and it is the best at that but I want musical bars.

I also want to record simultaneously while playing midi notes etc....

I will give Sonar a look now, thanks for the response!

ok, fruity doesnt offer dedicated note entry buttons but it comes very close. This is taken from the manual:

Step editing is a technique to record melodies note by note using your MIDI keyboard (or computer keyboard if Typing Keyboard to Piano is enabled).

To start the step editing mode, first enable it from the Recording panel or the Options menu. In the Step Sequencer, select the channel you want to step edit.

Now each time you press a key on the MIDI keyboard a new note is added in the Piano Roll (you don't need the Piano Roll window opened to step edit) and the position advances to the next step automatically. The step size is equal to the snap size in the Recording panel.

You can use the Num. pad / key on your keyboard to go back to the previous step position. Adding note in an already filled position erases the old step.

The Num. pad * shortcut sends the marker to the next step position. This way you can leave empty spaces between the steps.

You can also create steps longer than the current snap setting. While holding a MIDI key on your keyboard, press the advance position shortcut ( Num. pad *) one or more times then release the MIDI key.

If you have a 'sustain pedal' connected you can use that to 'jump steps'.

Good luck finding your tool :D

• 2 weeks later...

can't you record the midi sequence from your synth?

That's probably how I will do it.

I've programmed midi a few ways in the past ...it is something I've spent a lot of time on.

Therefore I know I want the most ergonomic setup possible, that is keys in front of monitor, proper height of monitor etc etc.

I usually sequence note on first,then modwheel/CC changes to be sure to get timing right.

Also want shifting between Piano, Mezzo piano, Mezzo forte, and Forte without adjusting an annoying bar with my mouse pointer.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank all who answered here. (especially Freewheelin' Franklin )

I got Sonar 6 producer friday and it has been great :)

It has buttons for all the notes and I can assign them to my computer's keyboard for fast midi sequencing.

I hadn't had as much fun as I had last weekend for a long, long time.