HWhat is NeuroTrance?!

NEMO.BOFH

OK.

So as far as I know, neurotrance, or simply what has started to be known as 'Neuro' was a term coined by a few friends of mine who are living down in Asheville, NC who were in search of another means of describing the music they are into...i.e. 'darkpsy', or in New York "psy-stomp" or what our friends on the west coast of the US had started calling "Trauma Trance". (See below)

Posted Image

"The second release from San Francisco label Mistress of Evil Records, ...

... seeks to define the concept of Trauma Trance: Music that was meant to shake you up mentally, to stir up your emotions and push you forward to new perceptions and ways of thinking. Trauma Trance is not about dark vs. light, negative vs. positive, or any other dichotomy. It is music that tests the limits of your mind and makes you question your own sanity (and the sanity of the artists!). Step aside from the traditionally negative connotation of the word trauma and allow the music to alter your consciousness"

Neuro came about as a means of describing this same music without the negative connotations of the word "trauma". So Neuro, as in neurological as in music that affects your nervous system and your mind....music that makes you think...

I'm pretty sure this is a term I haven't heard used outside of the US, and the 'Neuro' subgenre of psytrance seems to be most popular in the southeast part of the country....you don't really hear the term Neuro here in new york for example...

Hope that explanation helps :)

OK.

So as far as I know, neurotrance, or simply what has started to be known as 'Neuro' was a term coined by a few friends of mine who are living down in Asheville, NC who were in search of another means of describing the music they are into...i.e. 'darkpsy', or in New York "psy-stomp" or what our friends on the west coast of the US had started calling "Trauma Trance". (See below)

Posted Image

"The second release from San Francisco label Mistress of Evil Records, ...

... seeks to define the concept of Trauma Trance: Music that was meant to shake you up mentally, to stir up your emotions and push you forward to new perceptions and ways of thinking. Trauma Trance is not about dark vs. light, negative vs. positive, or any other dichotomy. It is music that tests the limits of your mind and makes you question your own sanity (and the sanity of the artists!). Step aside from the traditionally negative connotation of the word trauma and allow the music to alter your consciousness"

Neuro came about as a means of describing this same music without the negative connotations of the word "trauma". So Neuro, as in neurological as in music that affects your nervous system and your mind....music that makes you think...

I'm pretty sure this is a term I haven't heard used outside of the US, and the 'Neuro' subgenre of psytrance seems to be most popular in the southeast part of the country....you don't really hear the term Neuro here in new york for example...

Hope that explanation helps :)

Pretty daft to call it Neuro Trance (not meaning to slag you off) but almost all music that I listen to would be Neuro Trance....

It appears to be another name for certain kinds of 'dark'psy. To me, it brings to mind stuff like Parasense's older stuff, Gorump Peyya, stuff that's not 'dark' per se, but definitely full power getting into the brain stuff.

I don't really know though... Someone on Isra gave an explanation but I can't find it... Seems like just another name for the same stuff.

Also, there was a Deja Vu release, I'm A Program, that said on the cd: "Neurotrance-expanding your mind" and there was something like that on the DV site a while back...

And, Ive never heard anyone call it Neuro or Trauma out here. Just another name, just another box to put it in.

I just play the music.

Pretty daft to call it Neuro Trance (not meaning to slag you off) but almost all music that I listen to would be Neuro Trance....

Ahhh well I'm not the one who coined the term, but its funny I was talking to my friend from Asheville about this same exact thing the other week....and next time I speak to her, I'll ask her to clarify for me...maybe I'm not properly explaining the music they've labeled 'neuro' and why...

perhaps think also like, neuro as in neurotic, neurosis.....i.e. scattered, indecision...music that makes you feel crazy...joe's description of "full power getting into the brain stuff." works for me....its the darker stuff thats not really melodic at all and sometimes sounds like it has no specific direction....

Ahhh well I'm not the one who coined the term, but its funny I was talking to my friend from Asheville about this same exact thing the other week....and next time I speak to her, I'll ask her to clarify for me...maybe I'm not properly explaining the music they've labeled 'neuro' and why...

perhaps think also like, neuro as in neurotic, neurosis.....i.e. scattered, indecision...music that makes you feel crazy...joe's description of "full power getting into the brain stuff." works for me....its the darker stuff thats not really melodic at all and sometimes sounds like it has no specific direction....

Like I said, I did not want to slag you off. Just the term seems a bit daft. I think its more of a insider thing though, innit? :)

the same goes for psy trance though. it's in the mind of the beholder what is psychedelic, not an objective matter. so, what you have a neurotic breakdown to, and what I a neurotic breakdown to could be very different music...

personally I think really fast violin players can be fucking mind blowing :drama:

:lol:

Nemo: :lol:

I spent "countless hours" in deep contemplation after reading this term in that other thread...

Interesting reading the definition, though...

the same goes for psy trance though. it's in the mind of the beholder what is psychedelic, not an objective matter. so, what you have a neurotic breakdown to, and what I a neurotic breakdown to could be very different music...

personally I think really fast violin players can be fucking mind blowing :drama:

:lol:

that violone player aint too fast though, and yes, I do agree with you :)

Nemo: :lol:

I spent "countless hours" in deep contemplation after reading this term in that other thread...

Interesting reading the definition, though...

:D

Silly Americans, right? ;)

B)

Names are just names.

Fuck names, Im gonna go play some crazy music!

same with "psychedelic trance", what's so psychedelic about it?

Different people find different things psychedelic!

You don't find Psychedelic trance psychedelic :(

Glad I do :D

Neuro trance is what gets inside your brain .. pounding every little membrane in your head. :clapping:

that trauma trance cd lauryn mentioned does exactly that to me. :ph34r:

i only put it once a month .. dont have the courage to play it more frequently.

come to think of it , psykovsky is neuro core trance :drama:

I find psytrance psychedelic (I put my own meaning into this term) and I find neuro trance neurodelic or whatevargh.

Making names stupid, people say. Saying making names is stupid, is even more stupid, in my opinion.