Do you know how to make breakbeats?

:lol: Hi all, somebody have some experience making breakbeats, i'd like make some parts with breakbeat in my tracks

but just i can´t get a decent breakbeat.

To be specific, i need help with the structure of the pattern. maybe there´s some thechnic.

could you help me plz?

(sry my bad english, thanks)

just listen to a breakbeat and then draw it in your sequencer. or play it with a midi keyboard on your sampler.

listen to it and seperate each element in your mind, first focuse on the kick and draw it, then the snare...etc...

just listen to a breakbeat and then draw it in your sequencer. or play it with a midi keyboard on your sampler.

listen to it and seperate each element in your mind, first focuse on the kick and draw it, then the snare...etc...

Thanks man, i'll try, but for make ido you use effects in the snares?

or do you use more than 1 snare?

Assuming you mean the kind of breakbeat loops that are often used as background percussion loops, they aren't so hard to make and anything goes really. I generally find simple is better. Pick a kick, a couple of snare type sounds (generally use one harder and longer one for the back beat bangs and another shorter one for the rhythmic interest fills) and a hit-hat or ride cymbal or two and pound out some sort of beat, focusing on the kick and snares. Make sure the kick isn't only just on you down beats (1,2,3,4) or it will get lost under the main thumping kick of the track. Also ALWAYS doing this sort of writing with the track you are working on running in the background. If you only work on the loop by itself, you'll end up with a loop that sounds great solo'ed, but sticks out like a sore thumb or is completely buried in the mix.

Once you have the basic loop done, its time for effects. Again, anything goes, but some general things I find myself doing all the time would include...

EQ and filters= roll off a lot of the low end, especially important with the kicks.

Distortion and more filters= I tend to like these kinds of loops dirty and somewhat lo-fi in sound.

Compressor= These kind of loops tend to sit a bit back in the mix, so I'll often compress them a hell of a lot more that I would other parts to get them somewhat "poppy"

Effects= Add to taste. Delays, flangers, chorus, etc. Any of them can work in the right situation.

Again, I stress do most of this work with the rest of the track running. This is extremely important when it comes to the eqs, filters and compressor bits...

Here are some screen captures of some breakbeat type loops I was working on last night for my next live show. The top half shows the midi and percussion data and the bottom half the effects chain and some of the effects I often use for these kinds of parts.

Posted Image

Finally hear is an audio example of one of the resulting loops solo'ed. By itself it isn't such a huge deal, but in the mix it fits in just right....

http://www.par-2.com/choons/breakmaker.mp3

Assuming you mean the kind of breakbeat loops that are often used as background percussion loops, they aren't so hard to make and anything goes really. I generally find simple is better. Pick a kick, a couple of snare type sounds (generally use one harder and longer one for the back beat bangs and another shorter one for the rhythmic interest fills) and a hit-hat or ride cymbal or two and pound out some sort of beat, focusing on the kick and snares. Make sure the kick isn't only just on you down beats (1,2,3,4) or it will get lost under the main thumping kick of the track. Also ALWAYS doing this sort of writing with the track you are working on running in the background. If you only work on the loop by itself, you'll end up with a loop that sounds great solo'ed, but sticks out like a sore thumb or is completely buried in the mix.

Once you have the basic loop done, its time for effects. Again, anything goes, but some general things I find myself doing all the time would include...

EQ and filters= roll off a lot of the low end, especially important with the kicks.

Distortion and more filters= I tend to like these kinds of loops dirty and somewhat lo-fi in sound.

Compressor= These kind of loops tend to sit a bit back in the mix, so I'll often compress them a hell of a lot more that I would other parts to get them somewhat "poppy"

Effects= Add to taste. Delays, flangers, chorus, etc. Any of them can work in the right situation.

Again, I stress do most of this work with the rest of the track running. This is extremely important when it comes to the eqs, filters and compressor bits...

Here are some screen captures of some breakbeat type loops I was working on last night for my next live show. The top half shows the midi and percussion data and the bottom half the effects chain and some of the effects I often use for these kinds of parts.

Posted Image

Finally hear is an audio example of one of the resulting loops solo'ed. By itself it isn't such a huge deal, but in the mix it fits in just right....

http://www.par-2.com/choons/breakmaker.mp3

Thanks man! i know distorition helps a lot "melting" the sound, im searching for a more 'realistic' battery sound (like DNB), with more speed, but your examples helpme a lot, very apreciated man, thanks again :lol:

i think i would get it playing with velocyties in the snares, or just with the right samples...

if i achieve the sound, i'll post a sample.

Thanks man! i know distorition helps a lot "melting" the sound, im searching for a more 'realistic' battery sound (like DNB), with more speed, but your examples helpme a lot, very apreciated man, thanks again :lol:

i think i would get it playing with velocyties in the snares, or just with the right samples...

if i achieve the sound, i'll post a sample.

Velocity with snares and hi-hats in particular is very important too so you are thinking correctly there. If you are looking for a more DnB type sound a lot of this still works. Obviously you won't cut the low end as much. You could try layering versions of the same loop. For example have a clean version more forward in the mix, with a more heavily compressed version and maybe a distorted version further back in the mix.

Getting a solid base of good samples obviously one of the more important factors. Good samples just sound good without doing much to them, where as bad samples you often have to fight with and add effects and such just to get them listen-able. I think a few dollars well spent on percussion sample packs is probably one of the best investments an artist can make. Over the years I've been buying and collecting free sample packs from various source and find that not having to dig for hours on end to find decent sounds makes the whole music making process much more enjoyable and go faster. In my opinion, THE best single one stop resource for percussion related samples would be Thomas Penton's Percussion sample pack available here http://www.resonantvibes.com/samples.php?id=9 Other good sources include Native Instrument's various sample packs (buying Battery 3 for the huge collection of samples alone is money well spent I think), the samples that come with Linplug's RMIV and any number of the free sample sets floating around (Nano Records has a couple of good ones, as does Hydraglyph's label's site... can't recall the correct spelling at the moment). Isratrance.com had a great shared kick collection floating around a while ago. Not sure if it is still entirely active, but I uploaded it, along with a few other free sets I found, awhile back here http://www.par-2.com/choons/Kick.zip

Anywho, off to lunch.... ;)

:lol: :lol: Thanks everybody!, i made a breakbeat with your help, its not perfect but with practice it'll be better.

i use 2 similar snares one at low level, and the ohter at high level, the rest is easy.

this is the loop DNB

it doesnt has any effect, except some compression in the kick and main snare, also the bass is shit, cuz the important thing is the structure of the pattern.

Hmm it's not bad, though it sounds quite lofi to me, is that intentional? It somehow lacks that crispiness :) The short reverb is a nice idea. Btw the rythmic structure is really nice but you can make a lot more out of this if you add some variations now and then.

OR... you could use this loop as a base and build on top of it some heavier drums, for example a distorted compressed kicksnareride combo to add a "flow" to it.

anyway, I'm just having a brainflow :blink::lol:

Hmm it's not bad, though it sounds quite lofi to me, is that intentional? It somehow lacks that crispiness :) The short reverb is a nice idea. Btw the rythmic structure is really nice but you can make a lot more out of this if you add some variations now and then.

OR... you could use this loop as a base and build on top of it some heavier drums, for example a distorted compressed kicksnareride combo to add a "flow" to it.

anyway, I'm just having a brainflow :blink::lol:

Thanks, that would be great for the loop, just im making a simple break because im 'discoverying' the technic for making breaks (i mean, i can make a better bass and add more sounds), and for sure i'll try your ideas, also i think the track its lofi becuase the quality (its 128kbps) and i forgot to tell you that besides i used a little reverb hehehe :lol: .

Thanks to all for the help.