GOA is dead but why?

StraydoG

The 90's GOA style, why? I know alot of people on these boards love the old school stuff and even newer things like how everyone went crazy for Filterias album.

So why exactly is it dead if theres still a following and popularity amongst todays Psy fans? Even people like me who missed it and picked it up last year am totaly fascinated.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like drinking the same cheap lager every day - you get tired of it and move on. I'd be tired of it if people were still producing only Goa, there is a lot more diversity in the music that's being produced these days, which is a good thing.

Anywho, forget the music genres, only the music counts. :)

I love Goa, its played rarely now, usually as a one-off old school :( My days of partying are coming to an end because of this! I really dont like this new dark twisted mash up music! there`s no flow, i can`t lose myself in it, so no point in me being there.

It was good while it lasted, time for me to move on.

Well, honestly, I prefer it like it is nowadays. There's much more diversity. Of course there's some really perfect oldschool goa out there, but if there was just this goa trance I'd be bored aswell. If you dig a bit nowadays then you can find some really good music in all kinds of styles - and thats what I prefer. Because I am actually quite seldom in the mood for this classic oldschool goa trance...

Goa is only for the people who can handle it. You got to have a strong mind to not get influence by all the new shit that is on the menu now a days, just my point of view.

Just because the big labels choose another style , doesnt mean you have to change your musical style or what you listen to.

Just because the big labels choose another style , doesnt mean you have to change your musical style or what you listen to.

I'm so happy because of my old goa record collection :)

And I wsih there were more producers like Filteria nowadays :)

Goa isnt dead it's just taking a nap :P

Goa is my favorite music.

Still, I think the expansion into different styles has been a great thing, even though there has been a lot of changes I dont care for. I would be bored if the same old goa sounds were getting continually rehashed without innovation. Progressive, dark, fullon, minimal, tech trance, they all took different aspects of Goa Trance and expanded on them until they had emerged as distinct genres.

In spite of all that, there is really nothing else that makes me feel the way good goa trance does. As played out and overused as the whole goa-spirituality thing was, the fact remains that Goa-trance reliably gives me a feeling I can only describe as mystical.

I am waiting for a Goa-renissance where the evolutions of style that have happened post-Goa are integrated into something that is at its core Goa-trance.

Guest Cosmogenesis

Goa is not dead, but is almost dead. We have to tell the truth: suntrip is the one and unique 100% goa label nowadays. Only one label today for a famous movement which consisted in hundred labels by the past!

I'm the first to recognize that if Suntrip weren't there back in 2004, in this period where the goa music was almost unexistant, I'm not sure that goa would have still existed and be present, nowadays, on the market at least. And thanks to them, goa is still alive. :)

In spite of all that, there is really nothing else that makes me feel the way good goa trance does. As played out and overused as the whole goa-spirituality thing was, the fact remains that Goa-trance reliably gives me a feeling I can only describe as mystical.

Same here ;)

IMHO no other subgenre can cause such a positive vibe on the dancefloor and lift you up without shattering your brain into 1000000 pieces :)

Guest The Journey Man Project

I'm pretty srue it's one it's way back big time very soon... Earthcore here annnounced that they are having some dj's, if not a whole floor, at their massive global carnival this summer dedicated to "Goa from the '96 era"... I'm not sure it need to be produced anymore, Suntrip is nice but for me it is kinda like listening to a shadow of something that was good... the production ismuch to clean a lot of the digital sounds used in productiong now-a-days just don't sound like Goa trance, they sound like stock standard trance music... it isn't dead, it's just waiting to come back, and when it does it will be a retro thing, retro stages and retro parties... I only have about 15 Goa compilations, but most are double cd and tht means hundreds of tracks... plenty out there from the past to buy...

Guest antic

It's passed on. The GOA is no more! It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its maker. This is a late GOA. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. If it wasn't for Suntrip trying to resurrect it, it would be pushing up the daisies. It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-GOA!!!

Can you guess what I was watching yesterday?

:rolleyes:

It's passed on. The GOA is no more! It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its maker. This is a late GOA. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. If it wasn't for Suntrip trying to resurrect it, it would be pushing up the daisies. It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-GOA!!!

Hey!I didn't want to be a GOA-head!I wanted to be ... a lumberjack !!

:lol:

Monty Python?

Goa is back to life. Maybe it's not as big as it was, but there's Suntrip releasing goa, and Kagdila & Shivlink also release goa from time to time. Also the net labels such as Metapsychic...