Sound problem

Hey everyone! :)

This might be a stupid question, but it's gotten really irritating. I recently got myself a new screen, since my old CRT one was starting to fall apart. The thing is though, I used to connect my sound cables through my old screen, and it gave a whole lot better sound. Now with my new screen (which has no sockets for sound), the bass is _a lot_ weaker, so I'm pretty much forced to do anything connected with music on speakers. My question is, what was it in my CRT screen that amplified the bass?

Thanks in advance!

Connecting audio thru the screen?!? Wow........ Sounds like a great way to get a noisy signal. :huh:

What exactly the CRT did to your audio signal is something only the screen and its makers know. Obviously it must have been some kind of EQ if the bass got stronger. Google is your friend, look up the manufacturer or something if you want detailed information.

If all you want is more bass, just use the built-in EQ in Winamp or whatever software you use to play your music. Doesn't always sound great, but obviously sound quality is not one of your chief concerns. :P

If you play directly from a cd player or something and you don't have an amplifier or whatever that has an EQ that can bring up the bass, then you're screwed. You need some sort of EQ to make the bass stronger.

Obviously it must have been some kind of EQ if the bass got stronger.

Yup, that would be my guess.

There's also the possibility that the design of the speaker setup in the monitor accentuated the low end, but most likely it was a smiley-face EQ curve. But the question is: is what you're hearing now actually lacking in low end, or is it normal, and only seems lacking relative to how it sounded previously? Super boosted bass is the norm in a lot of listening systems these days, but that's not necessarily how the producer intended it to sound.

sounds like bullshit :huh: your screen amplyfing or eqing the signal...

but well, were always here to learn :D

are you sure its not subjective?

are you using the same speakers now? and were you connecting the cables to your speakers through your old screen? i think maybe i didnt get it right..

Oops I forgot to mention i only had my headphones wired through my screen! My speakers work as fine as before. Now that my headphones are wired directly to my computer's sound output, the sound is awefully crappy though...