Organizing your cd case.

Pandemonium

I know this might sound like a very insignificant topic to many, but I'm sure there are some out there that struggle with different ways of how to organize their cds within the case.

Do you think it is better to:

A. Organize by type of music? ex. Dark psy, Full on, Ambient, Progressive, Chill out, etc.....

B. Organize by Record label? some record labels release various types of electronic music. ex. both full on and ambient, thus it would put them in different areas of your cd case if you organize by Music type.

C. Organize by artist? Some artists release albums on several Record labels, thus separating them if you organize your cd case by Record label.

D. Organize by separating Compilations and Albums? Once again if you organize your cd case this way record labels will not be together.

I would be interested in reading and appreciate some peoples opinions and views on this topic

in my case it's simply alphabetical...

albums alphabetical, and compilations as well... This is simply the easiest way for me, no need to have the record labels together, in many there is no continuity (musicalwise) anyway, and too many labels with 1-2 releases... And when they are alphabetical the styles are closer to eachother...

For instance my Asia 2001 cds are all next to eachother altough released on 2 different labels, same for Etnica etc... :)

at home I organize my music by style and then alphabetically and at parties I organize my music by style and feeling, so no alphabetical order there.

Right now thou my music at home are really spread out but most are in boxes around the apartment and one box is at my parents. Kinda living inbetween places right now :huh:

Guest The Journey Man Project

Well I usually listen to compilations only now-a-days so it goes:

Genre first

Goa - Dark - Full On - Proggi - Chillout

Then alphabetically by Labels

Do you take your originals on holiday with you or just copies?

I never take any originals (Except vinyls) with me. But since I am in the process of ripping ALL my vinyl to CD (Yes its a big project, have finished around 500 of them already though) I expect to never bring vinyls with me either. I have had music stolen from me several times! :)

Let's see... I have:

1) darkpsy/full-on

2) prog/tech

3) old school

4) psychill

5) Y2K psy/prog/minimal

6) modern Goa trance and other weird stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere

7) archive

The top three are 208 CD binders while the others hold about half as much. The archive is a fat case for all the stuff I "retire" thinking that I won't use it in either mix-making or any DJ set.

I organise by genre & by artist or record label within that genre. Thus sometimes seperating the label or artist.

This however falls down & at the moment I just have CDs spread everywhere across my living room

The big shelf: Psy Trance sorted by favoriteness: Twisted Records/Juno Reactor/Israeli favorites/Current favorites/Classics/Compilations/Crap

The smaller shelf: Ambient/Chill/Electronica/Rock albums

Somewhere in the closet: Singles

:(

• 2 weeks later...

I organise by genre like that:

# Psytrance

# Goa - New Goa (Suntrip etc)

# Ambient - Chill out - Dub

# Drum n Bass

# Trance

# Progressive

# House