Official Tracker appreciation thread

This is my thread dedicated to the wonders of tracking in the 21st century. Renoise, if you don't know, is the latest generation of tracker, following in the footsteps of those great old trackers such as Space Tracker, Scream Tracker, Impulse Tracker, ModPlug Tracker, Fast Tracker 2 and all the others...

At first, I got started with Impulse because it was free, and I was young, too young for a job. Samples were easy enough to come by, and a friend of mine showed me around a bit. So I ran with it! I used it for about a year or so, this was around 1997. Then I kinda lost interest in production for a while, actually it was about 5 years... It wasn't until my life drastically changed and I moved back to Reno that I finally picked it up again. Starting with the familiar, Impulse, I messed around a bit. But the restrictions of a nearly decade-old program soon showed themselves...

So I went looking for another, newer tracker, and found ModPlug with its Windows based interface. It had rudimentary VST support, could never get instruments to work but for what it was, ModPlug tracker wasn't too bad. I made some decent tracks... Then I discovered Renoise, and everything changed...

I had been using samples exclusively, with vst fx, prior to coming upon Renoise. SUCH a restrictive way to make music... I wanted to make my own sounds! Not what others had made and recorded... So it was about 2004 by this point, still a broke-ass due mainly to laziness. So I mess around with Renoise (demo) for a year or so, until I can finally afford the tiny payment required to register it... That was 2005 I think, late '05... Around the same time I started collecting psytrance.

So I was messing around with Renoise for about another year, and it was around mid-2006 that I really started to be able to make some crazy sounds, and clean sounds. The biggest realization was that i had been doing too much to the sound, rather than letting it be clean as it is. It was around this time, too, that I got my pair of cdj-100s and learned to beatmatch. After a few months of nearly ignoring Renoise and focusing solely on mixing, I returned to find that I had a much better and clearer idea of what psytrance is, and what exactly I wanted to make...

Renoise is great, from the POV of an old tracker-head like me, it has really clean sound, perfect VST support, ASIO, 32 bit float 96khz .wav output, track envelopes, send tracks, a master track, the new version has a mixer, spectrographs for each track and the master as well, and most important, us users get to vote on what features we want to see in the new versions! (so far, the piano roll hasn't been too popular a choice...) It may not be the 'industry standard' but thats exactly why I love it. Ive tried using Reason, and found that I can make cleaner, bigger, crazier sounds quicker with Renoise.

At this point in my use of the program its very intuitive, cut and paste this segment here, put that there, bassline goes like this... And voila! A nice base to start with!

So, Im wondering if anyone else on here uses Renoise or other trackers, or has in the past, and their experiences, likes, and dislikes regarding them. And some sample tracks would be nice too! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm gonna give this a +1 ;) I started on IT also, And I do use fl, But more recently, I've gotten into songs made in Jeskola Buzz, Which I think is probably one of the best programs out there ;). I can run it on my p1 :)

All hail!

I started out with protracker on Amiga, then moved on to Ft2 on PC. Tried to work with IT but I never really got the hang of it, so I stuck to Ft2. Then came some years with reason/fls ... but these days I'm back in Renoise :)

See: www.renoise.com

Not the same old Tracker!!

• 3 weeks later...

Renoise is excellent! It is very easy to use if you've used trackers before.

Took me a while to work out rhythmic gating. The secret is the use of the volume slicer effect (04 in the effects column). This only works on samples though. Alternatively, use a plugin =) .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest antic

fine. but what is a tracker?

u meant the firm which is building tracks for skateboards?

Yeah, more or less. "Less" more likely ;)