Vancouver Odyssey

CUT AND PASTED FROM MY TRIBE BLOG

Wow... What a city! What a bunch of twisted freaks! (thats in a good way! ;) )

Had such a great time... Met so many really awesomely cool people... And I can't wait to go back!

It started early in the morning in Reno, I drove my sleep deprived ass to the airport, parked the heap, and checked in. Then, I spent the obligatory 45 minutes waiting in the TSA line, which was understaffed (surprise) and the staff that was there, was unhappy and overworked (again, surprise...). So I got to my flight like 5 minutes before it left. But I got to it!

SLC airport, 2 hour layover...

THen, Vancouver. Wait in Immigration for about 20 more minutes. Then, nearly through, another customs agent says "Go through that door over there", so I do. Wait for about 30-45 minutes before I even get to talk to an agent. Who proceeds to grill me on where I work, whether or not Ive done drugs in the past, they even wanted the phone numbers of my bosses... I can understand, that they don't want any more addicts to take care of. But damn, they almost didn't let me through... I discovered that, to work in Canada as a foreigner you need a work permit. So I didn't get to play at the club... Well, another time perhaps. After the 2.5 or so hours spent being psychically raped, I finally met up with Ryan, Maja and Jessica. Then, the airport was left behind.

That evening at dinner I tried a very strange concoction. The traditional (apparently) drink up there, the Caesar. Not bad... Interesting.

Then later that night, we all trucked over to the club, where I had a great time, Chris played a nice set, but I think Mike Causai's set was exactly what I was looking to hear! Great stuff. Nice atmosphere there, nice people, great time! Meghan and Roman showed up after a while, and we stayed around til it ended. :D Lots of smiles and warm vibes to all involved with the club! I'll be back! ;)

Next day, we found the Amsterdam Cafe, and it was almost like being back in A'dam again. B) BC is indeed famous for a reason!

After that we searched for some necessities for the party, then eventually went to the venue. So we sat around still a bit sleep-deprived, as the madness coalesced. Then we all stood in the opening circle, which for me was actually pretty heavy. Then the first dj of the night played her chill set. Now, memory may not be serving 100% here, so I may have some sets mixed up... After the chill set was some ok sounding fullon, but, well, not my thing... Then the next dj played some prog, Yotopia's track on set/4 if I remember right, among others... Then the next dj played with a laptop, and it was the cleanest set so far. Not bad. But again, not my kind of thing. Sunash played next, more my style of stuff. Not bad! THen, Ganika vs Krazy K. They played some proper full throttle stuff, despite (I was to find later) some problems with the mixer, they had nearly nothing in the headphones! They certainly did well enough regardless! Then, after the vs set, Mistress Jade came on, the mixer was fixed, and the madness began with a vengeance! Maja played a great set, very clean. Then Meghan came on and played another great set! Also very clean! After Meghan was Longstocking, who played YET ANOTHER great set! These ladies are all very professional up there behind the decks, they know exactly what they're doing and they do it well! After Longstocking was Stargirl who played some time-appropriate (but, still not my thing...)) fullon. Then that was the end of Jade, and the beginning of the afterparty with Chris from Organix. Of course he played a good set from what I heard, but I was pretty out of it by then and we all left back to Gania's and some 'relaxation'. ;)

Then, after a bit of a nap Sunday we all wake up, and have a bit more madness til its time to go to sleep. We all hoped that the 3 or so cellphones that were around would wake us up. But apparently, our minds had other plans... So it ended up, we woke up at 5:00 ish, or at least, one of us did. Then, the frantic search and gathering of our stuff. Goodbyes to Ganika and Nighthawk, and another cab arrives to spirit us away. Maja nearly had a freakout... But it was I who would miss their flight! 15 minutes too late to check in... So I had to wait 12 hours or so for the next one... Which, Ive had worse... (JFK in NYC... ARRGAHGAL:G'ASEJFJOADG;SLJ;) So I got into Reno about 10:30 last night, safe and sound....

I had such a wonderful time, it was great to meet you all, Maja, Meghan, Roman, Gania, Jessica, Roger, Chris, Ryan, the various felines, and anyone else I forgot... Looking forward to next time! :D

Lotsa love from the desert,

Joe